BCD436HP Reception/ transmission Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

agodfrin630

Hi all,

I have had my BCD436HP for several months now and have noticed missed transmissions as well as not hearing the beginning of transmissions. I live in a pretty wooded area using simulcast in northern RI and typically listen to a P25 trunked system. I notice this issue quite often even when my reception signal is full strength and I am locked in on the channel that is used to talk on. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this? I would be happy to provide more information if necessary to help with the issue. Thanks!

Ubbe

The FM discriminator in a BCD436 have problems to work properly when two signals of almost the same strenght on the same frequency are received, like they could be with a simulcast system. A SDR receiver like a usb dongle receiver or the Uniden SDS scanners are more suited for that.

But to solve your problem you have to try and make one of the signals stronger than the other. If it is a system in the 700-900MHz range you could use a directional antenna connected to the scanner and sweep around pointing it in different locations to try and get the best reception. You can hang it from the ceiling or put it on a stand in the corner.

Frequencies on other frequency bands will suffer but if you can put the antenna on the roof top it will more or less compensate for that. You can go one step further and connect a diplexer that will split the signal up to the 700-900Mhz band and one output for the lower frequencies and use another antenna for that, maybe a magnet foot antenna. But a cheap 800MHz antenna with a 10 fot coax would probabably be the first step.

Altelix 800 MHz 900 MHz 13dBi Stainless Steel Outdoor Yagi Antenna WiFi 2G SCADA | eBay

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.