BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP rechargeable battery recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoWarrior

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any recommendations on rechargeable batteries for the 436HP? I was just gonna get the Energizer brand but was wondering if there is another brand that might be better for the hand held scanner.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Powerex and eneloops are generally the choice in this forum but people have had success with others.

You're new around here so a reminder. Don't charge the batteriess in the scanner. It is a timed scanner and it charges the same amount no matter how much you've discharged the batteries. Five minutes or 5 hours will get the same charge. That's really tough on batteries. You need a "smart" charger. I use a Maha but there are others. They will "read" the batteries and only charge what is necessary. They can cycle the batteries and sometimes even bring seemingly useless batteries back to life, not always but sometimes. The smart charger will likely extend the life of your rechargeable batteries.

I have used Energizer 2300 batteries with no problems. I use the charger that comes with 4 1300 mah batteries. I do not use the energizer fast charger because can ruin a set of batteries. Good luck and God bless.

TacoWarrior

Premium Subscriber
Powerex and eneloops are generally the choice in this forum but people have had success with others.

You're new around here so a reminder. Don't charge the batteriess in the scanner. It is a timed scanner and it charges the same amount no matter how much you've discharged the batteries. Five minutes or 5 hours will get the same charge. That's really tough on batteries. You need a "smart" charger. I use a Maha but there are others. They will "read" the batteries and only charge what is necessary. They can cycle the batteries and sometimes even bring seemingly useless batteries back to life, not always but sometimes. The smart charger will likely extend the life of your rechargeable batteries.
that is good to know, i was thinking of charging them in the scanner. Now i wont THANKS!!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
For reasons known only to Uniden, they refuse to change the type of charger in the 436. Perhaps the cost is prohibitive. I've had my 436 for about 7 years and I can only remember charging the batteries in the scanner twice. Both times they were almost dead, I didn't have an external charger and I was nowhere near home.

TacoWarrior

Premium Subscriber
probably cost having to do with parts and reengineering the board to accommodate the extra electronics needed to charge the batteries properly. I figured it would have came with a battery pack that plugs into the device instead of individual batteries but again probably due to cost like you said.

GROL

Eneloops are quite good, and I have discovered something new that is working out very well so far and comes with a quick charger. Quick charger requires a 2 amp 5V USB charge adapter for full quick charge ability.
EBL 2 Hour Quick Charger with 4 Pack NiMH AA They are supposed to hold a charge for a long time on the shelf as do the Eneloops, but I have not really tested that yet. The price and capacity attracted me. But I have always had great luck with Eneloops. I have some dated 2016 that are still holding a charge well, but as with any rechargeable battery some have gone bad.

GROL

For reasons known only to Uniden, they refuse to change the type of charger in the 436. Perhaps the cost is prohibitive. I've had my 436 for about 7 years and I can only remember charging the batteries in the scanner twice. Both times they were almost dead, I didn't have an external charger and I was nowhere near home.
Wasn't the way it is implemented in the BCD436HP to not charge while in use due some some kind of stupid California law? Does anyone remember that? Wouldn't surprise me one bit, what with CARB and Prop 65 nonsense.

TacoWarrior

Premium Subscriber
Eneloops are quite good, and I have discovered something new that is working out very well so far and comes with a quick charger. Quick charger requires a 2 amp 5V USB charge adapter for full quick charge ability.
EBL 2 Hour Quick Charger with 4 Pack NiMH AA They are supposed to hold a charge for a long time on the shelf as do the Eneloops, but I have not really tested that yet. The price and capacity attracted me. But I have always had great luck with Eneloops. I have some dated 2016 that are still holding a charge well, but as with any rechargeable battery some have gone bad.

I placed an order for some EBLs so I will see how they work out, they have some good reviews except i got these EBL batteries and charger

GROL

I placed an order for some EBLs so I will see how they work out, they have some good reviews except i got these EBL batteries and charger
I hope they work out well for you. So far they work very well for me. Same batteries I got. I wanted to try them first, but I will be getting more and that looks like a very nice charger.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Assuming that is what he means, that would probably require different hardware.

The 436 added a lot of new features, and I suspect the smart charging simply didn't make the cut for the budget.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Outside of the SDS100, which does not use 'standard' AA batteries, none of the Uniden scanners, including models for a number of years back, have a 'smart charger'. It's either a timed charge circuit, or none (i.e. the 346XTC). The XTC was released due to the California regulations regarding battery charging.

A true "smart" battery charger is set up to charge each cell individually. Each battery gets what it needs, than that single cell charge ends. The other cells might need a longer, or shorter charge, which is addressed by a true smart charger.

In a scanner, the cells are connected serially, so you cannot tailor a charge for one individual cell. The best you can do is try to charge the 'set' of batteries, which does not always work as needed. The timed chargers only use a lower current level, that in theory, is not high enough to induce heat related damage. The GRE/Whistler scanners do not have true 'smart' chargers either.

daddyjohn

I and many others have had good luck with these.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Assuming that is what he means, that would probably require different hardware.

The 436 added a lot of new features, and I suspect the smart charging simply didn't make the cut for the budget.
Yeah, Joe, that's pretty much what I meant but to be perfectly honest, I had never given it much thought. It was what it was so I bought the smart charger at about the same time I bought the 436 and moved on. While my knowledge of electronics is not on the same level as some around here, after only a little bit of thought, I realized it would take major changes in the scanner because it uses 3 separate batteries (as opposed to the SDS100, for instance) and it wouldn't really be practical. I still love my 436. It's a great scanner but I moved up to both an SDS100 and 200 because of simulcast issues.

As to why I made the statement, I don't know. I'm 77. I'll use that as an excuse.

For the record, I still own a 396, HP1 & 2, 436 and the infamous SDS 100 & 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.