BCD436HP: Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Just finished programming 9 banks (fav) lists into my 436HP with Sentinel, matched my 396XT's systems only setup as closely as possible.

Everything works perfectly, except my last 2 banks (favs) say Nothing to Scan. I checked Sentinel, went through the menu, they are programmed identically to the others, options and no avoids. I can manually hold on bank (fav) 1 and then rotate the dial to access the talkgroups, but they cannot be scanned.

Is there someone that can look at the attached Sentinel file to triple check for me, as I am at a loss?

Paul

Attachments

• andregg436.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 126

garys

Premium Subscriber
Go into the menu system. Look under "Set Scan Selection" then "Select Lists to Monitor". Make sure the FLs that you want to monitor are set to ON. I don't know why it happens, but I've found that sometimes they are not properly set when loading FLs into the scanner. That seems to happen more with ARC536, but it's happened with Sentinel too.

The other place to look is in "Select Service Types". Make sure that the ones you want to listen to are set to ON.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It WAS the service types. I didn't know about that. More than Half of the custom favorites I loaded turn out to NOT be set to on. No tacs for PD or FD either. Thanks Gary, your a life saver, thought that was some sort of search thing.

If I put a damn QK on it, and turn off avoid, and turn on the damn QK, I expect the damn thing to scan! :p

Paul

garys

Premium Subscriber
You don't think I'm that smart, do you? I had the Nothing to Scan problem on two separate trips. I only had the Service Type problem once! :lol:

You would think that enabling the QKs would be enough, but for some reason it's not.

Better living through higher technology!

It WAS the service types. I didn't know about that. More than Half of the custom favorites I loaded turn out to NOT be set to on. No tacs for PD or FD either. Thanks Gary, your a life saver, thought that was some sort of search thing.

If I put a damn QK on it, and turn off avoid, and turn on the damn QK, I expect the damn thing to scan! :p

Paul

JamesO

Paul

All HP series scanners have pitfalls caused by pilot error whether the pilot is trained or not. Software filters can drive you crazy until you figure it all out.

Service Types, Distance and not having Scan Lists enabled will cause the "Nothing To Scan" display.

For new users, suggest trying to turn on all Service Types if possible, set Distance to maximum, then make sure you have turned ON the list to monitor.

Once you have things working, then you can start to narrow the field by turning OFF Service Types and/or reducing the Distance.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I just turn off location control and fly manually!

All HP series scanners have pitfalls caused by pilot error whether the pilot is trained or not. Software filters can drive you crazy until you figure it all out.

Service Types, Distance and not having Scan Lists enabled will cause the "Nothing To Scan" display.

For new users, suggest trying to turn on all Service Types if possible, set Distance to maximum, then make sure you have turned ON the list to monitor.

Once you have things working, then you can start to narrow the field by turning OFF Service Types and/or reducing the Distance.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I can understand service types being useful when you do a zip code scan from the database, but they are annoying and unnecessary in custom created favorites. These happened to wipe out my entire new favorites, because they all consisted of HOSPITAL med channels, and that is not a default service type.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
And as for "flight training", this has been the ONLY thing in Sentinel I was not able to figure out on my own. I have yet to need the manual or google anything save for needing to be told how FAVORITES are the new "banks". I really don't see anything missing from Sentinel.......it could be a little easier if they allowed double clicking a favorite list to edit, but it's about the same level of usefulness to me as FreeScan. I really like the ability to select and move large groups of channels up or down in the list. :)

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I can understand service types being useful when you do a zip code scan from the database, but they are annoying and unnecessary in custom created favorites. These happened to wipe out my entire new favorites, because they all consisted of HOSPITAL med channels, and that is not a default service type.

Paul

There's another advantage. Let's say I'm listening to my scanner which has a number of Favorites Lists. In those Favorites Lists I have numerous channels including police, fire and EMS.

My "scanning mood" is such that I do not want to listen to police stuff. I can turn off Law Dispatch, Law Tac and Law Talk. Otherwise I'd have to do a lot of avoiding, which could be time consuming.

JamesO

I still say that Uniden needs to add 3 things to the firmware in these radios.

1. An option to "toggle" ALL Service Types On. This would turn on anything that you currently do not have configured. This would be in lieu of you having to remember what 10 or so Service Types you have currently enabled, then needing to then go and enable each of the other 20+ Service Types, then remembering what 10 or so you had previously configured when you want to go back to the orignal/default configuration you were running.

2. An option to "toggle" Off your previous choice of ALL Service Types On where this would not change your "default" Service Types that you had configured. There is no NEED to turn off ALL Service Types as you would then have the "Nothing To Scan" display! This would save about 20 keystrokes for most people.

3. An option for a "general" or "wild card" Service Type that is NOT filtered or skipped when ALL Service Types are disabled, which causes other issue anyway. Not sure if the term "wild card" can be used because GRE may have had this term in their side of the world first??

When it gets quite at night, it would be nice to just "toggle" All Service Types on from time to time for more action, then have a simple "toggle" All Service Types back off so your original default Service Types are still in action.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So what you are wanting is some sort of way to toggle on and off your favorite things, perhaps using keys that can quickly accomplish this, and have these stored in list format? :)

Paul

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Make individual favorite lists for each category of interest--Police, Fire, EMS, etc. Then assign a quick key to each favorite list. Problem solved.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Jon, that is what I did, but the service type selection radio wide affects the lists, even if you custom program them yourself. In my XT, the service stuff only affects searches, not programmed banks.....confused me.

Paul

JamesO

Just more workarounds/excuses for bad software and developers that do not understand how the product works and is used. Give the users control and the features they need.

I travel and use the Full Database to listen in new areas, I am not making Favorites Lists while traveling or using GPS scanning on the road.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I still say that Uniden needs to add 3 things to the firmware in these radios.

1. An option to "toggle" ALL Service Types On.

That would make sense.

2. An option to "toggle" Off your previous choice of ALL Service Types On where this would not change your "default" Service Types that you had configured.

This makes no sense. A much better concept would be a service type preset you could name, and that would store a set of service type settings. So if you want to listen to police only, you could make a service type preset list named POLICE that has all of the police categories checked.

3. An option for a "general" or "wild card" Service Type that is NOT filtered or skipped when ALL Service Types are disabled, which causes other issue anyway.

See above.

Go into the menu system. Look under "Set Scan Selection" then "Select Lists to Monitor". Make sure the FLs that you want to monitor are set to ON. I don't know why it happens, but I've found that sometimes they are not properly set when loading FLs into the scanner. That seems to happen more with ARC536, but it's happened with Sentinel too.

The other place to look is in "Select Service Types". Make sure that the ones you want to listen to are set to ON.

I hate to bring up an old thread but I am having this same issue with mine. Half of my programmed stuff will scan the other half wont and gives me the same "nothing to scan" message. I have checked everyone in the radio that you have suggested above but still get the same message. I have attached my scanner file for someone to take a peek at if they are willing. Maybe I missed something?!?!?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• scanner file 2.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 80

phask

Premium Subscriber
Export it as an HPE - I'm way to lazy to import it into arc - export and bring into Sentinel :)

Plus - WHICH "half" does not work.

I hate to bring up an old thread but I am having this same issue with mine. Half of my programmed stuff will scan the other half wont and gives me the same "nothing to scan" message. I have checked everyone in the radio that you have suggested above but still get the same message. I have attached my scanner file for someone to take a peek at if they are willing. Maybe I missed something?!?!?

Thanks guys!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Think I may have found a problem, presuming you are using Location Control. Several of the departments have 0/0 as Lat/Long. With the x36 scanners this is a valid location way off in an ocean somewhere. Irondale fire is one I saw.

So you may need to program these fields. Also you might try bumping up the range on some of them.

If you are not using location control, I don't see anything amiss.

genealle

I added 3 TGIDs to my only favorites list, then wrote to scanner. Got the awful Nothing To Scan message. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Was working fine before

Favorite list is the only one ON in Set Scan Selection
Checked Profile to make sure Monitor was on
Download is on in Profile
Checked ALL Service Types to be on
I'm using no Quick Keys
Reset Zipcode to be sure
Set Range to max miles
Location Control is off

Please! Steer me in the right direction! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.