BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Bcd436hp scanner Rx uhf issue

donc13

Premium Subscriber
OK, that should work. How far away from the tower are you? And 5 seems high for the squelch but I don't have a 436 so don't know what setting is 1 or 2 steps higher than open squelch. On my SDS200 squelch set at 2 works best.

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
OK, that should work. How far away from the tower are you? And 5 seems high for the squelch but I don't have a 436 so don't know what setting is 1 or 2 steps higher than open squelch. On my SDS200 squelch set at 2 works best.

The transmitter is 15 miles away same county. My squelch is at 2

JethrowJohnson

I leave my 436 on Squelch Level 2 and it works with no problem.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Try lining the battery compartment with copper foil tape. I'm just curious, what is the terrain like between you and the fire dept 15 miles away? I am 35 miles East of NYC and with an 800mhz antenna I can get some NYPD from in my yard. Scratchy but understandable.

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
Try lining the battery compartment with copper foil tape. I'm just curious, what is the terrain like between you and the fire dept 15 miles away? I am 35 miles East of NYC and with an 800mhz antenna I can get some NYPD from in my yard. Scratchy but understandable.

It covers at least the west half of my county. Im in the east half. Some buildings and flat land. The cnty/city dispatch center is 7 miles away. We've narrowed it down to im just too far away from the transmitter.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So with the radio made in 2018 I have no doubt that the 436 does have the C1 capacitor, so lining the battery cover with copper tape will make no difference whatsoever. I just can't imagine that all radios off the line did not included a new board and the C1 capacitor..

That was well into the fourth year of production and the lack of the C1 capacitor was in 2014 :)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So that wont help an analog uhf/vhf conventional system?
We just got an update on the Forum here. I'm getting used to it and I responded to another thread, not yours. But I canceled that. As I say I would use whatever step is in the database as your frequency step for the object you're trying to listen to.. are you in a position to be able to have a rooftop antenna for analog UHF reception?

firebell9137

Premium Subscriber
We just got an update on the Forum here. I'm getting used to it and I responded to another thread, not yours. But I canceled that. As I say I would use whatever step is in the database as your frequency step for the object you're trying to listen to.. are you in a position to be able to have a rooftop antenna for analog UHF reception?
No problem.

No. It's not my house. This is the antenna i use. Plus the stock

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213-161400_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213-161400_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5