BCD436HP screen DUST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

IMHO there is absolutely ZERO need to have any dust on the screen, under the lens, or anywhere INSIDE this radio.
Despite that MINE which is relatively new (aren't they all at this point) is full of DUST and looks like hell.

This does upset me.
Most amateur gear is built to some sort of standard which keeps stuff like splashes of water and dust out of radios and phones.
BUT not Uniden scanners.
This is a major CUT CORNER, just like the plastic belt clip button.

Anyway the radio works great. the screen is looking worse and worse.
Sooo what are the options. After opening the radio to blow the dust out then what? Wouldn't that void my warranty?
Uniden could offer a case. That might help a bit.
they could design the case so there is some form of dust ingress protection. They have no problem using EPOXY... why not slather some around the display assemble sealing the whole component from the elements.

So what are my options?
2E17B5F8-08C0-4D36-B16D-FB0B2A2D302E_zpsm1d5iwwc.jpg

The image is SIDE LIT this actually enhances how the dust is lit under certain lighting conditions. Taken in a car. This image looks WORSE than the actual problem 95% of the time. I have no doubt that anybody who uses this scanner OUTSIDE a lot or in dusty environments will suffer the same Problem.

It does NOT look like this all the time. It the radio is used in the sun this kind of dust "glare" can certainly impact he ability to read the screen.

There is a screen protector on the screen the dust uoi see is UNDER the plastic window, in fact there are several surfaces which are visible under the window with dust on them.
The radio has not spent its life out doors. it lives at home or in a car. Neither one is particularly a dusty space. this is just "normal use dust.

I like to know what Uniden thinks of this issue. Which WILL effect every end user who does not live in a clean room.

Yaesumofo

mrkelso

I have a 436 that is starting to accumulate dust under the screen. My PSR800 is loaded down with dust.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's really hard to tell depth in a 2D photo, but it looks to me like the "dust" is something between the outer surface of the OEM plastic lens and the protective film that you apparently put on the lens. I can definitely see air bubbles under the film.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
It's really hard to tell depth in a 2D photo, but it looks to me like the "dust" is something between the outer surface of the OEM plastic lens and the protective film that you apparently put on the lens. I can definitely see air bubbles under the film.

It is odd that his has so much dust. I just came back from a week in dry, dusty west Texas, with the radio outside a lot and I only have 1 speck of dust under my plastic window.

wc8i

Premium Subscriber
screen dust

Wow, dont no but I would be not very happy about this, as much as you pay for it, it should not collect screen dust, can you send it back to uniden, Bill

yaesumofo

dust busted

OK so I bit the bullet to have a look at the problem.
I opened the radio by removing all 6 screws and gently separating the front half from the rear.
I applied air to the LCD screen and the inside of the "lens" all clear.
I noticed a couple interesting things. Uniden has put a PAD between the "lens" and the LCD.
If things were working correctly there would be no dust.
BUT the dust is making ingress in the areas around the lens bezel.
I was able by using high pressure air to determine the air (and dust) is coming in from the bezel. If they used an adhesive that sealed the bezel to the case all around the lens NONE of us would have the issue.
Its a simple fix.
In due course I plan on ordering a new case and lens for the radio. I will mount that lens so the adhesive leaves NO gaps for dust or air.

This is something I would fix on the assembly line and or QC if I were responsible for such things.

Yaesumofo

JamesO

Do the 436HP seem to have some sort of statically charged plastic case?

Maybe not enough carbon in the plastic?

Do not think I have ever seen a handheld this bad, but maybe it is more obvious on the 436HP and the GRE's due to the super sized display.

I will look closely at my 396XT, but I am either blind or have not noticed it on my 396XT.

wise871

Database Admin
I'm sure you have dust issues but I would have like to seen it without the screen protector. Looks like it's on the outside from your picture.

XTS3000

Had the same dust problem with my 396XT. Short period after buying it, dust collected under the screen.

I opened the scanner up and got rid of all the dust, then plugged the headphone jack with a rubber plug. 3 years went by and not a single bit of dust under the screen.

So in conclusion, on the 396XT and most likely the 436HP, the dust is entering via the headphone socket. If you don't use the headphone jack, put a small piece of electrical tape over the headphone jack and it should remain dust free.

SCPD

QRT
Peel the sticker off the screen.(see the two bubbles on the bottom left?) Your are supposed to remove that day 2... Then lets see a new picture.

Attachments

• Sticker.jpg
    Sticker.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,296
Last edited:

yaesumofo

Peel the sticker off the screen.(see the two bubbles on the bottom left?) Your are supposed to remove that day 2... Then lets see a new picture.

Read the post. I put a screen protector on the screen.
I may be crazy but I am not dumb enough to leave the factory lens protection plastic on the radio. Besides unless the factory was dirty there could be no dust under the protection tape installed at the factory. All dust is post manufacture.
When I put a screen protector on it was clean yet a couple specks got under the screen protector oh we'll.
ALL The dust you see in the images is UNDER the lens between the LCD and the lens there are 2 surfaces which were covered in dust until I opened the radio and gave it a good canned air dusting.
Look guys you may or may not suffer from this but my scanner does. The fact that the window is not sealed to the case is the cause.

Yaesumofo.

Sent from the moon using the x12c mkIV

rvpartner

BCD436HP owner

I also have alot of dust under the lense of my scanner. I'm not sure how it gets in but
this scanner has never left the house and I live in a very clean environment.
I've thought about opening the scanner to clean it but don't want to void my warranty.
I can't sent a photo but i'm pretty sure its caused from static because of the way its
laying on the inside of the lense. It almost resembles the letter X.
I think this dust came from the inside of the scanner.

wise871

Database Admin
From looking at the picture your scanner is covered in dust. What area are you in? Is the dust from inside or outside usage? My scanners will collect dust if I don't dust them but I've never seen it to that extreme. Almost looks like your in a desert environment from the picture but your scanner says your in the LA area. Just saying from the photo. Hope you can seal it up or get it fixed.

XTS3000

People with dust under the display, how do you carry your scanner? Do you use the belt clip?

I would clip the 396XT to my belt, then pull my shirt over the scanner to kinda hide it and protect it. That's when the dust appeared. Turns out it was not dust in the conventional sense, but dead skin cells and underarm deodorant that was getting into the headphone jack. Once I cleaned the screen and covered the headphone jack, no more dust/junk under the display screen.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I reported this issue a while back...

Screen Cover Issues

I went as far as to take the 6 screws out of my scanner, remove the front cover and push the clear plastic away from the front cover. The clear plastic screen is attached to the front cover using a strong adhesive film that is basically like 2-sided tape.

The issue is that in the top corners of the screen, there is a gap where the adhesive tape doesn't fully cover which allows dust to enter the case and get under the screen. If you lightly blow directly into each corner of the scanner, you will notice that the screen will fog up on the inside of the screen. At least this is what mine did.

I have a picture in the linked thread that shows where I am talking about.

Last edited:

paratect

The dust issue seems to be an issue with mine also. Although not as bad as Yaesumofo's I'm sure all of ours will get that bad . I , as i'm sure most of us do try to take great care of our radios especially when they are brand new. I do not feel that a 500 dollar radio should have dust under the screen after 6 or 8 weeks as it can only get worse over time. Hopefull Uniden will address this issue . I plan on sending mine back this week.

mharris

The dust issue seems to be an issue with mine also. Although not as bad as Yaesumofo's I'm sure all of ours will get that bad . I , as i'm sure most of us do try to take great care of our radios especially when they are brand new. I do not feel that a 500 dollar radio should have dust under the screen after 6 or 8 weeks as it can only get worse over time. Hopefull Uniden will address this issue . I plan on sending mine back this week.

Mine too. This is not good. The dust drives me nuts. I'm not confident enough to take the scanner apart and try to get rid of the dust myself.

Would this be a legitimate Uniden Warranty issue?

SCPD

QRT
How about an air compressor?Thats another design flaw with these new HP scanners,dang,I really wanted to try the 436HP,that would drive me bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.