BCD436HP Screen Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPD145

Any owners of the BCD436HP have issues with the screen. The top 3/4 of the screen is 3/4 lighter then the bottom 1/3 of the screen.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
My whole screen went fairly dim after about six months of owning it. That was back in 2014. Seemed to happen around the same time the 536 went dim.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
My whole screen went fairly dim after about six months of owning it. That was back in 2014. Seemed to happen around the same time the 536 went dim.
I bought my 436HP second hand (for cheap) 6 months ago and I noticed the screen was dimmer the usual and also the Real Time Clock wasn't keeping time either. Luckily 2 months ago I found the Uniden RTC repair campaign that replaced the whole internal unit for free. This RTC Repair campaign also covered the screen because the fix included replacing all of the internal components, main board, screen, everything... Basically getting a new scanner but inside your old front and back case covers.
Unfortunately the campaign ended just a few weeks ago (September 30, 2020). Now after I got the unit back the screen is bright, the audio is a little clearer and pulling singals like never before.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The dim display and RTC was from awhile ago... I havn't seen this failure before...
Depends when this person bought it... Hopefully it was bought new and not used...
If it was bought new then it may still be in warranty...

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
The dim display and RTC was from awhile ago... I havn't seen this failure before...
Depends when this person bought it... Hopefully it was bought new and not used...
If it was bought new then it may still be in warranty...
From what I heard the RTC campaign was running for 5 years and just ended on Sept 30, 2020. Yes you had to provide the serial # to see if your unit was covered by the campaign. Yes, I was very lucky (and very thankful) to stumble upon it!!!

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I know... I'm the one that responded to your post and said you were lucky you sent it in when you did...

I sold my 436 last year... But I got it back from him to send it in for the repair then gave it back to him...
Working fine ever since for him...

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I remember the repair campaign. It was slow coming but... I got the 536 repaired but never bothered with the 436. I don't use to 436 anymore but it's in the scanner boneyard along with many others. Other than a dim display I never had any other problems except for the clock of course.

It was a great radio in its day, my County went to tdma P2 simulcast in 2015 so... LOL. We ended up going with mot radios.

palmerjrusa

Does anyone know if all the early BCD536 scanners suffered from the "dimming display" issue?

My BCD536 was bought shortly after it was released and never developed the "internal clock" problem (my BCD436 did develop that issue and was sent back and repaired under their "recall" program, it came back fixed and also with obviously new LEDs installed).

I always meant to send my BCD536 back due to the potential dimming display issue but didn't and now that option is closed.
I'm currently operating my BCD536 at the medium display setting just in case its LEDs are susceptible to dimming with time but I'd like to know if all the early production units suffered from this problem.

Just to add, I had to send my "less than a year old" HomePatrol 2 unit back to Uniden on Saturday for repair under warranty due to a display issue; a white line suddenly appeared across the lower part of the screen which I'm sure is due to a bad connection somewhere in the ribbon connector cable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.