BCD436HP - Screen Scratches (Repair/Replace)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm911

Does anyone know if/when replacement screen or front panel will be available as a replacement part. Through very little use the choice of screen material has led to a lot of scratches. (I have had 396xt since the beginning with no problems-can't say the same for 436). I checked Uniden website and do not see it as an accessory. I was hoping the $500 radio would look new a little longer. Don't get me wrong, I like the radio, I hate the fact that it seems to get scratched with the barometric pressure changes.

pvf

I'm interested in something as well. Perhaps an automotive product?

I've had some success with polishing out scratches with toothpaste but you're going to end up with an overall hazier looking screen.

K4TJK

Premium Subscriber
Screen Scratches

I have had good luck with a product called simichrome. It is a polish for metals that has fine grit. It can be purchased at most motorcycle shops or at eastwood.com. I bought a sheet of universal screen protector and cut it to fit my 436 to keep it from getting scratched.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
To prevent scratches I purchased a Galaxy 5 smart phone electrostatic screen cover

I bought a iPhone 4 screen protector (since I had 2 left) and somewhat got it close around the screen and I did the samething on the 536hp. Works pretty good so far!

SCPD

QRT
try

Try PlasticX by Meguiar's car polish but its Plastic polish,use circles,I got a 436 with some silly swirls and it looks perfect and the barometric pressure hasnt changed it.walmart has it

What else is fun is goo gone.(this one dont rub hard you'll kill the letters)

Attachments

• walmart.jpg
    walmart.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • goo.jpg
    goo.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,355

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I've only had my 436 since Tuesday, and it's already got alot of scratches, swirls on the screen....Not sure ifi should send it back to Amazon for an exchange, or try to polish them out...

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Brasso is another good one for removing minor scratches (brass polish)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

swanson2255

Call or email Uniden and you can order a new plastic screen. You can order a new front case off the website, ask to add in the speaker cloth and plastic led insert and you can have a whole replacement for the front of the 436hp.

kennyblues

If you'd like to try something you probably already have, try a dab of toothpaste, let it dry and buff it out. Cheap and it works.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Making a CASE for a CASE!

I just got a nylon case for my 436! So now, not only is the screen protected but most of the scanner as well. Very nice snug fit and I only remove it to change batteries. Love it!

Manny

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I hear you man. I got a flexible leather case at the same time I purchased the scanner. It has a nice snug fit and protects the whole radio, only the top part is exposed.

But I'm still going to cover the screen with a Zagg Shield that I just happen to have. It's for a cell phone so I need to cut it in the proper shape, which I'm not good at. I think I'll practice with paper first.

Accidents will eventually happen so it's better to be protected as much as possible when it does.

I just got a nylon case for my 436! So now, not only is the screen protected but most of the scanner as well. Very nice snug fit and I only remove it to change batteries. Love it!

Manny

tampatracker

Waiting for http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145885673723811&ke

Double Post

tampatracker

Waiting for the Novus scratch removal product mentioned above

I just ordered the fine scratch version (#2) of this product after talking with some aviation colleague's who said it works great on everything from windshields to I pads. So I'm betting the $20.00 price that it will remove, or at least reduce some of the swirl scratches my 436 has picked up somehow, even though it's spent 90% of its life in the nylon case from scanner master. When I try it I'll post here what result I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.