BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP SD card write error

ornocdoc

Premium Subscriber
Need a little help. The other day my BCD436HP showed “SD Card Write Error” when I turn it on.
Is that the same as “SD Card File Error?
I have installed a new SD card and plugged the scanner into my computer to “clear user data” with the Sentinal software. Now my problem is that my scanner and my computer are not communicating. The Sentinal software does not “see” my scanner. I have tried different cords and get the same result.
Before I send my scanner to Uniden does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the scanner and computer to talk to each other? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Do you have an SD card reader?
How did you format the new card - please search here for the link and use the SD assc formatter.
Try externally formatting / clearing user data

kk6cq

I had a similar issue a few years ago with my BCD436HP. I inserted a new card into a USB external card reader, formatted it to FAT32 with MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Launched BCDx36HP_Sentinel and it recognized the card in the USB reader just like it was the scanner and transferred the data to the new card.

I also used a 32GB high endurance card made for dash cameras and haven't had any problem since.

Ubbe

I have installed a new SD card and plugged the scanner into my computer to “clear user data” with the Sentinal software. Now my problem is that my scanner and my computer are not communicating.
As long as the clear user data procedure where successful it should now be possible to power on the scanner but it will say nothing to scan. If that doesn't work then it's still some issues using the SD card. Do that clear user data again and see if generates any error.

/Ubbe

ornocdoc

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar issue a few years ago with my BCD436HP. I inserted a new card into a USB external card reader, formatted it to FAT32 with MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. Launched BCDx36HP_Sentinel and it recognized the card in the USB reader just like it was the scanner and transferred the data to the new card.

I also used a 32GB high endurance card made for dash cameras and haven't had any problem since.
From what I am gathering I need to format the new SD card to FAT32. I’ll give that a try. Thanks

ornocdoc

Premium Subscriber
As long as the clear user data procedure where successful it should now be possible to power on the scanner but it will say nothing to scan. If that doesn't work then it's still some issues using the SD card. Do that clear user data again and see if generates any error.

/Ubbe
I never got that far. I have tried but they are not talking to each other.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Need a little help. The other day my BCD436HP showed “SD Card Write Error” when I turn it on.
Is that the same as “SD Card File Error?
I have installed a new SD card and plugged the scanner into my computer to “clear user data” with the Sentinal software. Now my problem is that my scanner and my computer are not communicating. The Sentinal software does not “see” my scanner. I have tried different cords and get the same result.
Before I send my scanner to Uniden does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the scanner and computer to talk to each other? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you format the new SD card as a FAT 32 (or FAT 32 ext) before you put it into the scanner? That must be done because many SD Cards don't come new already FAT 32 formatted.

Then try it in your scanner and then you should be able to clear user data to set it up the way the scanner needs, and then you can write your saved Sentinel settings, lists, database, etc. to it.

blackbelter

Go to the "Clear User Data" menu item. If the scanner SD card doesn't show in the list, Click the "Display all drives" checkbox then click the Refresh button. Click the OK button.
Window 11 also needs the latest USB drivers.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It is best to use a card reader, either internal to the computer or an external card reader.

Then format the SD card using the SD Formatter describer above. (Note the drive letter).
Do a Clear User Data to prepare the newly formatted card with the right operating files. (You may need that Drive Letter, and have to Display All Drivers)
Do a Write to Scanner checking the Erase Favorites Lists in the Scanner (yeah it may be redundant, but doesn't hurt) and Write Full Database
Unmount and reinstall into scanner.

Should be just fine.

Using external card reader is faster and eliminates little issues like cable connection, in Mass Storage, etc.