BCD436HP Serial Port Not Recognized by Scanner Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFam

I use WIN7. I have a BCD436Hp. I am using the uniden-usbser.inf driver that I got from Uniden. It is 2.90 kb in size and dated 1/9/14. I have it set to a baud rate of 4,800 which the Uniden manual states as the serial port baud rate. It is COM port 14. I can connect with the ID Tracker software but not the Google Scanner Monitor program. Scanner Monitor does nor recognize the Uniden Serial COM port. My questions are:
1. Is this the correct driver?
2. Is my baud rate correct?

I have installed, uninstalled, disabled, enabled, and rebooted all with no success.

I have posted a question in the Programming Forum with no answers so far.

Thanks, Bob.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
a baud rate of 4800 is for the GPS port not the USB port.
when you 1st plug up the USB cable to the scanner the scanner beeps if you hit yes you can program it.
If you hit no you can see it with software like PROSCAN.

BobFam

Thanks.

I understand how to use the serial port. I have it working fine with the ID Tracker software. I misread the baud rate of the scanner as 4,800 and did not realize it was for the GPS only. Nowhere in the manual, that I can find, does it state the baud rate of the serial port for any serial port applications. I have tried a baud rate of 9,600 and the Scanner Monitor software does not recognize the COM port with the Uniden serial driver. The ID Tracker does work with 9,600.

I have recently contacted Jeff, the author of the software. He stated his BCD436HP works with the Scanner Monitor software. There was a note that Google would not support the app after 2018 but his still works OK with it. He has been busy and I have not been able to contact him again in reference to the serial port driver, baud rate, port number, etc he has.

I want to use the Scanner Monitor, which did work at some time ago, and am stumped as to why the Scanner Monitor does not recognize the Uniden serial port driver. I have tried
renumbering the COM port and was not successful. I even called Uniden to see if there was another version of the driver. There is no other driver. It is a good free program and very useful.

Bob.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I use the same scanner master app from google...
My port settings...com port.jpg

Notice my port shows up as 4 not 14

BobFam

Thanks Randy. I appreciate it. I'll try those settings.

I asked on the Programming Forum but so far have not received any replies.

I did not try a COM port 4 so far. I'll let you know what happens.

Bob.

Update:
I just tried COM4, with your settings as you stated. ID Tracker still works OK with those settings. Scanner Monitor only recognizes the Standard Serial Port over Bluetooth link (COM15). See the attachment of my Device Manager. I tried multiple times to refresh with no change. Here is a screenshot. Is your SC Monitor version the same version as mine as shown in the screenshot?

Thanks, Bob.

Attachments

• scmon.jpg
    scmon.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 17
  • scmon1.jpg
    scmon1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Randy. I appreciate it. I'll try those settings.

I asked on the Programming Forum but so far have not received any replies.

I did not try a COM port 4 so far. I'll let you know what happens.

Bob.

Update:
I just tried COM4, with your settings as you stated. ID Tracker still works OK with those settings. Scanner Monitor only recognizes the Standard Serial Port over Bluetooth link (COM15). See the attachment of my Device Manager. I tried multiple times to refresh with no change. Here is a screenshot. Is your SC Monitor version the same version as mine as shown in the screenshot?

Thanks, Bob.
com port1.jpg

com port2.jpg

BobFam

Thanks. See my screenshot of my Device Manager in my post above. I have tried COM4, COM14, COM15, etc. with no successm My ID Tracker works fine with whatever port I have tried. SC Monitor will not recognize any port other than 15. I have even tried renumbering it to other port numbers with no success. Bob.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Try right clicking on the uniden port in the device manager and select scan for changes...
Then see what port number the computer assigns it...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
That wasn't good...
When booted back up see what port number the computer assigns to the uniden port...

The computer should assign the port number for you... You should not need to change it...
Try rebooting the scanner too...

You are setting the scanner to serial port mode when you plug into the usb port, correct?
If you don't press the "." key it will default to serial mode after several seconds...

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
You asked what version...
This one...

BobFam

Hi again.

It assigns COM 4 when it reboots.

Yes the scanner goes to serial mode when I press the (.) key and Device Manager shows it as COM port 4.

The ID Tracker software has a Settings menu to select and save the port setting. It will work with any port number and baud rate that I have assigned, including port 4.

The only way that I have found in Scanner Monitor is to use the refresh button which only sees the Bluetooth port and not the Uniden Serial Driver.

I sent you a PM.

Bob.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Hi again.

It assigns COM 4 when it reboots.

Yes the scanner goes to serial mode when I press the (.) key and Device Manager shows it as COM port 4.

The ID Tracker software has a Settings menu to select and save the port setting. It will work with any port number and baud rate that I have assigned, including port 4.

The only way that I have found in Scanner Monitor is to use the refresh button which only sees the Bluetooth port and not the Uniden Serial Driver.

I sent you a PM.

Bob.
I replied to PM

Status
Not open for further replies.