BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP Stalls During Scanning (video link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

royldean

Essentially, while scanning, my 436 will just stop on a channel and stay there permanently until I either hit "hold" twice, or turn the multifunction knob to force it to continue scanning.

Squelch never opens. This morning it has done it twice in about 10 minutes, both times on this same trunked fire dispatch channel. Any suggestions?

https://youtu.be/pZfv0WSQoow

troymail

Silent Key
Yet another SD card issue with this thing.... ???

Before swapping out the card, try reformatting and reprogramming... (but you'll obviously still want to acquire and prepare a backup SD card to avoid the $500 radio from becoming a paperweight at the worst possible time - been there).

EDIT: or just run Windows error checking on the card.... any reported errors?

royldean

see attached. not sure if this is the utility you meant, but according to this one the card is ok.

Attachments

• 436sd.jpg
    436sd.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 228

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, the actual issue should be revised. It is not locking up on a frequency. It is sitting on a TG on a trunked system (that TG could appear on any frequency on that site, so it is not a frequency issue; it is an important distinction as an issue related to a specific frequency could be due to interference, birdies, etc whereas sitting on a TG like that would not be due to any of those factors).

Are you sure they don't have an issue on the system itself? That is a Fire Tac channel (22512) and they might not realize that they've got an issue on the system side.

troymail

Silent Key
Ok, the actual issue should be revised. It is not locking up on a frequency. It is sitting on a TG on a trunked system (that TG could appear on any frequency on that site, so it is not a frequency issue; it is an important distinction as an issue related to a specific frequency could be due to interference, birdies, etc whereas sitting on a TG like that would not be due to any of those factors).

Are you sure they don't have an issue on the system itself? That is a Fire Tac channel (22512) and they might not realize that they've got an issue on the system side.

I was curious about that also... it's rare on a trunking system but not out of the realm of possibilites... but it is hard to tell without a 2nd radio.

GeekNJ

I've experienced this too. I don't think the SD card has anything to do with this.

The radio detected it was an open/active transmission even though I couldn't hear anything. I have my backlight set to be on when stopped on an active transmission and the backlight stayed on too.

royldean

Whelp, got a 16 gig primary SD card now, anyway. :)
The oem one will be relegated to backup duty.

Now, having said that - sure, I guess the problem could be with the control channel. Seems like the scanner should be able to tell that there is no signal on that TG if it's not even opening squelch, though?

[edit] changed youtube description to state "talkgroup". Not changing anything here as it would confuse readers down the line.

troymail

Silent Key
Whelp, got a 16 gig primary SD card now, anyway. :)
The oem one will be relegated to backup duty.

Now, having said that - sure, I guess the problem could be with the control channel. Seems like the scanner should be able to tell that there is no signal on that TG if it's not even opening squelch, though?

[edit] changed youtube description to state "talkgroup". Not changing anything here as it would confuse readers down the line.

If there is some type of transmission that the controller believes is present, the control channel will be telling your radio that the talk group is active. If it's hanging there (vs. rapidly jumping back and forth between the control channel and the voice channel, your radio probably detects some type of signal on the assigned voice channel.

Having said all that, most newer systems have timeouts that keep a stuck microphone from continously transmitting (like after 60 seconds, etc.)

But back to the card status... did reformatting the old card or the new card make any difference?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If it's always the same system hanging, perhaps it's broadcasting data or something and that is what is hanging the scanner. Upman has indicated that the scanner will stop on data transmissions as well as voice, but data won't break squelch.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm still suspecting an issue with the system.

I'd be tempted to assign the channel a negative delay time, such as -5 seconds. Negative delays force resumption of "scanning" after the set time, even if the channel remains active.

That would work until the system issue is resolved, if its that.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Talkgroup assignments can change at any time without notice. And it could also be a system error or misconfiguration of some kind.

Sierraz

BCD436HP

Let us know if you find a solution. Mine gets stuck on the same freq. every time while on discovery mode. Pressing avoid does not work. I've tried a permanent avoid on that freq. but it still lands on it in discovery mode. Hate it!!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
One other...make sure Squelch is set to at least 3. If squelch is too low and the scanner misses the End Code, it will hang on the frequency when the transmission ends. (But, in that video the audio did not sound like open squelch noise, so this probably isn't the issue.)

Sierraz

Thanks for the reply UPMan. I've tried different squelch settings with no luck. The problem frequency does not have any sound at all. Why doesn't permanent avoid work with discovery mode? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.