BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP USB Port Pins Sheared Off/Port Unusable

Status
Not open for further replies.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
After having my BCD436HP for 2 years now, I've somehow managed to break all the USB pins inside the USB port. I discovered this after plugging in my cord to "power" it through the night so I can listen to it and I didn't hear the normal beep you get when you apply power to the 436. Upon further inspection, all the pins inside the female port were either bent or broken and proceeded to fall out once I removed the male USB cable. I surmise from regular use, the pins aren't very sturdy for daily plugged in use.

I use it at night on USB power especially since my better half is a CSI for the Sheriff's Office and I like giving her a heads up for possible callouts.

I now can't use the USB port and am relegated to powering the scanner via chaning out batteries multiple times a day. It's obviously going to need to be addressed so I'd like to hear from other users on the approach most recommended.

I'm debating on a multitude of issues to remedy my problem. I've debated sending it in for repair but I've hesitated given my thought that the USB coupler might be hard soldered to the board and would require a full replacement of the scanner. I'm not opposed to just buying a new one but on that front, I have both the ProVoice and DMR entitlements on that EID. That means another $100 on top of a brand new scanner.

What are your thoughts? Is the USB port something I could remove and repair st home(doubtful)? Would Uniden be able to repair something like this through their flat fee repair service? Would the hassle be better worth spent on a new scanner that doesn't have the dings and scratches my current one has?

Let's hear what you've got to say. Ready...GO!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Changing the jack yourself isn't that hard if you're comfortable soldering surface-mount devices. The trick is getting a replacement with the same form factor. Perhaps Uniden will sell you a replacement? Your only other options are using battery power only, or sending it in for repair.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Happened to me too. I let Uniden repair it. Flat fee and shipping. Cheaper than a new radio. I hardly use the port now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Happened to me too. I let Uniden repair it. Flat fee and shipping. Cheaper than a new radio. I hardly use the port now.

What was your turnaround time? I'm wanting to take it to the 12 Hours of Sebring on March 18 for the race because they use DMR portables for the SCCA corner workers and I use it to find the freqs and TG to put into my Motorola DMR portables. I'm thinking definitely no guarantee it's getting back on time.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

is there something ops are doing wrong for this to happen? curious as i have a 436 and wish to avoid this problem. or, is it another defect in the 436? i was reading all the posts on the repair campaigns yesterday. wow! if i were an outsider, i'd prob go with another brand given all these troubles. the 436, IMOP, just cant be beat though. it is my fav scanner. i love it but was careful to get one with the later serial so no display or clock issue, but now this one as a potential.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most likely the USB cable was hit hard enough to start a crack in the pin carrier in the jack, and then inserting and removing the cable enlarged the crack over time until it broke off. It's a fairly thin piece of plastic or some other insulator that gets a lot of force applied to it if you apply any sideways force on an inserted cable.

It's probably not going to be an issue unless you drop the scanner with a cable plugged in, or drop something on the cable end while plugged in.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Mini USB connectors are known for this sort of thing. When they were used on cell phones, it was common to have to send the phones in for repair or warranty replacement. In addition to size, it's one of the big reasons most everyone went to Micro USB.

For some reason, Uniden (and other companies) always seems to be a generation behind in connector technology.

The situation is probably worse if you use the 436HP mobile and constantly keep it plugged in.

is there something ops are doing wrong for this to happen? curious as i have a 436 and wish to avoid this problem. or, is it another defect in the 436? i was reading all the posts on the repair campaigns yesterday. wow! if i were an outsider, i'd prob go with another brand given all these troubles. the 436, IMOP, just cant be beat though. it is my fav scanner. i love it but was careful to get one with the later serial so no display or clock issue, but now this one as a potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.