wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Scanner is off, etc. Plug USB cord in. I see:

Battery charge
Start charging?
Yes="E" / No="."

I press E. The screen clears and briefly displays:

Normal charging

Then the screen goes black, and the whole process repeats. I have tried this on a powered USB hub and an iPad charger with the same results. Does this brand new scanner need to be returned?

SCPD

QRT
no!

Im gonna say no,the DC 5 volt adapter should be at least 1-2 amps for charging.
If you are using anything less than 1 amp,it probably doesnt have enough power.
Try another power plug! One that goes into the wall ,ok?

An ipad usually doesnt need that much current to run.
I did the same with my PSr800,it didnt like my Nikon camera power transformer.I had to use a larger current transformer.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ords=5+volt+2+amp+power+adapter+with+mini+usb <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THIS

Last edited:

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Im gonna say no,the DC 5 volt adapter should be at least 1-2 amps for charging.
If you are using anything less than 1 amp,it probably doesnt have enough power.
Try another power plug! One that goes into the wall ,ok?

> I have tried this on a powered USB hub and an iPad charger with the same results.

SCPD

QRT
scanner

> I have tried this on a powered USB hub and an iPad charger with the same results.

Yes but look on the transformer,how many AMPs is it?
Does it say 500mA ? <<<thats milliamps,not enough
or 2 Amps? <if it says this I would reset the scanner and wait for prompt to charge the batteries,if it doesnt
work,you may want to try hitting it with firmware .If that dont work,get it exchanged by Uniden!(not the store,you want the newest radio)

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
FYI, if you have this problem, try another USB cable. The factory cable must have beefed up gauge in the Vcc circuit. I tried several other cables; some worked, some didn't.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
What happens if you use the supplied USB cable and plug it in to your computer? It should charge from there. If it does, then the scanner is fine. If not, then it might be the scanner or it might be something else. Regardless, let's see if it works with the supplied cable plugged directly into a PC (not a hub)

FWIW, my scanner charges and runs just fine on an old Android charger I had lying around.

-AZ

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Sorry; my last post was miserably unclear. The factory cable works fine. I was using the 536's cable to program both my 436 and my 536, but the 536's cable will NOT charge the 436. On a hunch, I reverted to the 436's factory cable, and as you suggested, it seems to be charging fine.

If you're travelling with the 436, then, you should consider taking the factory cable and not relying on just any ole' generic USB cable.

Thanks for everyone's input.

...R

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Sorry; my last post was miserably unclear. The factory cable works fine. I was using the 536's cable to program both my 436 and my 536, but the 536's cable will NOT charge the 436. On a hunch, I reverted to the 436's factory cable, and as you suggested, it seems to be charging fine.

If you're travelling with the 436, then, you should consider taking the factory cable and not relying on just any ole' generic USB cable.

Thanks for everyone's input.

...R

Interesting! I would have thought that the cable that came with the 536 was the same as the one that came with the 436. Who knew? This should probably be added to the stickies page as I'm sure others will run into this same problem.

-AZ

kwd57

I have been using my 536 cable on both radios also and was charging with a 500MA charger, with no problems.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Interesting! I would have thought that the cable that came with the 536 was the same as the one that came with the 436. Who knew? This should probably be added to the stickies page as I'm sure others will run into this same problem.

-AZ
As far as I can tell all three of my Uniden supplied cables (436, 536, Hp-1) outwardly appear identical. Info stamped on all three cables is identical. All three cables function interchangeably on all three scanners and charge both the 436 and the HP-1. Two other (non Uniden) mini USB cables I have also function with no problems.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Weird. Mine definitely will not charge with the 536 cable and charges fine with the 436 cable. Maybe my 536 cable is just flaky. Good information; thanks!

Edit: My cables were different. The 436 cable alone had an RF decoupling choke, and the 436 cable is shorter and noticeably beefier than the 536 cable. The cable faeries weren't smiling on me ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.