BCD436HP zip code programming. "out of range" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All. I have a BCD436HP and when I try to put in my zip/postal code I get "out of range". I have cleared the memory and user data and same thing. I have also updated the firmware and data base with no difference. I have tried many different range settings, I currently have it set to 50 mile range. Any help would be appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi All. I have a BCD436HP and when I try to put in my zip/postal code I get "out of range". I have cleared the memory and user data and same thing. I have also updated the firmware and data base with no difference. I have tried many different range settings, I currently have it set to 50 mile range. Any help would be appreciated.
See if this thread helps.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do not use a Range setting of 50 miles, or the scanner will waste most of its time trying to monitor things way out of reception range. 0-5 is all you should use with a handheld antenna.

GeekNJ

To add what Jon posted, a value of 0 means that radio will include all frequencies the database indicates you should be able to hear. Adding a number > 0 is requesting to add & try and pull in frequencies that might not be possible to receive, so you are wasting time scanning channels you can hear.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I set mine to 50 miles and avoid out anything that won't be in range. I surprisingly have found some things that are farther away (say, 15 or so miles) but somehow do come in. It is possible to get a few things that wouldn't come in with the range set to 5 miles.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Where I live (within listening range of Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and DC), doing that would require manually avoiding hundreds of things, and it would take several minutes to scan through the list until you did.

GeekNJ

I'm 20 miles from NYC and I like Jon, scanning everything would be excessive. Setting a range of 5 miles will include NYC frequencies which doubles what is already an enormous list of included systems/frequencies I eliminate. Avoiding/deleting in Sentinel or on the scanner would be extremely time consuming.

If 50 miles works for you, that's terrific, but not something that would necessarily be feasible for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.