BCD496HP + Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfboyd52

I purchased a BCD436HP and love the simplicity of using Sentinel to drag and drop the systems. All of the trunked systems I dropped into my new favorites work great. However, I've had a couple of problems (probably my fault) of which I will only mention one at this time and seek recomendations. I created 4 conventional systems (HAM, CB, FRS & GMRS) modeled after the Sentinel systems. I dragged a HAM system straight to a Favorite named HAM. When I turn these favorites on to monitor, it says, "nothing to scan". I can't figure our why it will not acknowledge these frequencies and scan them. Please help.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a BCD436HP and love the simplicity of using Sentinel to drag and drop the systems. All of the trunked systems I dropped into my new favorites work great. However, I've had a couple of problems (probably my fault) of which I will only mention one at this time and seek recomendations. I created 4 conventional systems (HAM, CB, FRS & GMRS) modeled after the Sentinel systems. I dragged a HAM system straight to a Favorite named HAM. When I turn these favorites on to monitor, it says, "nothing to scan". I can't figure our why it will not acknowledge these frequencies and scan them. Please help.
First thing to check would be in your profile.

Under the various Service Types, make sure that "Ham" is enabled (the box needs to be checked in the profile, otherwise, it is disabled).

If that was the problem, save the change to the profile, then re-send (download) to the scanner.

For the other systems you mention (CB, FRS & GMRS), you need to make sure that service type "Other" is enabled.

Unless the service type for a given frequency or talkgroup is enabled (turned on), the scanner will not receive those transmissions, even though the information was downloaded to the receiver and is not locked out (avoided).

jfboyd52

Thank you very much. That fixed it. Like I said, "user error". I had seen that list but the bulb did not light up when I saw the box unchecked. Thanks again.

jfboyd52

Next question ... My local trunked system (North Carolina, Guilford, County Systems, Greensboro/Guilford County) there are multiple agencies and 2 other little towns (Burlington & Gibsonville) in the system. I attempted to create a favorites list for each agency or department (ie. Greensboro PD, Guilford county Fire etc) so I could "quick key" each of these agencies. I left the site frequencies in the favorite for each agency. Seems like a lot of duplication of site frequencies. I get the feeling this is blocking scanning multiple agencies with the frequencies duplicated. It would not recognize the agencies. Also, what is the difference in site frequencies and simulcast?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Next question ... My local trunked system (North Carolina, Guilford, County Systems, Greensboro/Guilford County) there are multiple agencies and 2 other little towns (Burlington & Gibsonville) in the system. I attempted to create a favorites list for each agency or department (ie. Greensboro PD, Guilford county Fire etc) so I could "quick key" each of these agencies. I left the site frequencies in the favorite for each agency. Seems like a lot of duplication of site frequencies. I get the feeling this is blocking scanning multiple agencies with the frequencies duplicated. It would not recognize the agencies. Also, what is the difference in site frequencies and simulcast?
Instead of separate Favorites lists for each agency, I would simply break each segment out into a separate Department, under the main system. You can assign unique (different) Department quick Keys to each one, to make it easier to turn them on and off at as needed,

Site frequencies are those used at a specific transmit site for a trunked system. Trunking Basics in the Wiki may help explain how this works.

For Simulcast, see this. Also this article on the problems associated with it for scanner listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.