Bcd536 and 436 2 sentinels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I am having a problem saving multiple profiles because i have one for 436 and 536 saved but when i change the 436 and save it to 436 profile then close and open 536 profile it has 436 info in 536 as well.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Favorites lists are shared across all profiles.
The things affected by profiles are those items you edit in the Profile Editor, which includes which FL's to download to the scanner, the initial state of the FL (Monitor or not), FLQK status, etc.

seth21w

Favorites lists are shared across all profiles.
The things affected by profiles are those items you edit in the Profile Editor, which includes which FL's to download to the scanner, the initial state of the FL (Monitor or not), FLQK status, etc.

Ok so how do i need to set up sentinel to have programming completely different? Have 2 sentinel programs?

marksmith

Profiles are not separate files of favorites lists.

Only separate instructions as to which favorites lists to download, whether to set them to monitor, whether to monitor full database etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

seth21w

Profiles are not separate files of favorites lists.

Only separate instructions as to which favorites lists to download, whether to set them to monitor, whether to monitor full database etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes i grasp what that is used for but i need 2 different programming setups so do i need 2 sentinel programs?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Make multiple FL's. Some set to DL in one profile, others set to DL in the other profile.

If you need two versions of the same system, you need to make each version in its own FL.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I use multiple profiles for my 436 and two 536's. What I'll do when creating a new profile is open one and do a "Save As" to a new name. I'll then make any changes, such as model specific in the newly named profile using the Edit Profile tool.

The Profile Editor makes scann configuration changes, such as which Favorites Lists are Downloaded and Monitored. Some other things are opening message when the scanner is powered up, Service Types being scanned, Location setting and so on.

As others have noted above, Favorites Lists are shared among all profiles. Any time you you the Favorites List Editor (Edit Favorites List) you have to be mindful that that any changes you impact all Profiles.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I think "profiles" are the biggest flaw in the Sentinel software. Intuitively, many people (myself included) see a profile as something unique and that changing one won't effect any others. Of course, as already pointed out, this is not the case.

marksmith

While it does tend to confuse a lot of new users who think each profile is a totally separate file of favorites lists, once you use it regularly, you find it to be very useful.

With the GRE or Whistler method, that is exactly what you get... a file of scanlists that are totally separate, so those users trying the Uniden method think it is confusing and a "failure".

I would disagree with thst thinking. The Uniden method requires you to maintain only one favorites list over any number of profiles, so that as long as the favorites list is not changing, you only need to maintain one. You can keep all of your favorites lists on one file, and not get confused over which file which list is in.

By simply doing a fast profile rename, and modification of the profile settings, you can create a profile for very specific uses, whether it be based on location, base or mobile use, or other reasons for typically having multiple radio setups. If something in a system or list changes, you fix it in one place, and it is fixed in all profiles.

You can still have totally separate favorites lists if you want... just create another one, and set it up so it only downloads and activates for that specific profile. By doing this you get something similar to the GRE or Whistler setups, but will need to separately maintain it if something changes.

The profile system for the x36 and Homepatrol radios compliments the way those radios are programmed, which are significantly different than the Whistler /GRE setup.

Once you learn how they work and use them to your advantage, they are much more powerful than just storing stuff in different files.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/others

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I didn't say it was a fatal flaw, but I still find it to be a major flaw. When I was managing both of my x96s with FreeScan, it was easy to open up a file for one, copy, then paste it into the file for the other.

I don't hate Sentinel. I just think that it could have been better designed. While I also see the advantage in the current "profile" set-up (as you pointed out), perhaps a different term could have been used.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with marksmith - it's just a "getting used to" situation. Once you do, you won't give it much more thought.

Kinda looking at this in reverse. I have three scanners: a 436, a 536 for my vehicle and a 536 for my home. I'm using the same Favorites Lists for all three scanners, but each has its own profile. The home 536 scanner, among other things, has a larger Range value because its on an outside antenna and its baud rate is set for Virtual Control as well as Infrastructure Mode wifi. The vehicle 536 has the display upside down and is set for GPS, with Access Point wifi.

If I had to triplicate Favorites Lists, it would be an extremely big pain to set up and moderate pain to maintain (I do a lot of Radio IDs). So, being a lazy guy, I'm happy my work is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.