Bcd536 dropping channel holds

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently driving across several states and I have been using the System Hold to keep it on State Police as I go. Several times, the hold is released by itself and it starts scanning again. Any idea why it's doing this? Is it completely losing the data link when I get into a "hole" and that is forcing the drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

marksmith

If you are using gps with location control, reloading new locations would possibly restart scanning.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I am using GPS. I'm going through Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. I had issues with the Starcom21 in Illinois and the Indiana Project Hoosier systems.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you are on the move and location control turns off whatever you're holding, then the scanner will resume scanning. I've run into exactly that issue on the edge of a service area. If you're listening to system A and drive out of System A's service area as defined in the database, System A is disabled and the hold on it is released.

The alternative would be for the scanner to just stop scanning.

marksmith

I am using GPS. I'm going through Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. I had issues with the Starcom21 in Illinois and the Indiana Project Hoosier systems.

As you go out of location range of whatever you were held on, the radio reloads in range systems, sites, and departments. What you held on is no longer valid.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
If you are on the move and location control turns off whatever you're holding, then the scanner will resume scanning. I've run into exactly that issue on the edge of a service area. If you're listening to system A and drive out of System A's service area as defined in the database, System A is disabled and the hold on it is released.

The alternative would be for the scanner to just stop scanning.

So it's like a dead spot then? There's a hole where there is no overlap and it starts scanning. So if I increase my range, that should fix it!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That is one possible solution. The drawback is that you'll be listening to more stuff under marginal conditions and you'll need to hit Avoid more often. So don't get crazy increasing it a lot.

marksmith

Another solution is to increase range, but limit the stuff being scanned to just what you want. A favorites list with just the State Police, using location control and GPS will just scan the various State Police channels, and you won't need to be trying to "hold".

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
FLs aren't as practical when traveling long distances...

marksmith

FLs aren't as practical when traveling long distances...
I agree, but when the target is the State Police, as I this case, it suggests intrastate travel, which would be great for FL. Even putting 2 or 3 states of just State Police in a favorites list can maximize hearing what you want if that is what you want to hear. A lot easier than trying to use GPS and the hold button.

If the range gets wider than that, I would generally agree thst full database and severe reduction of service types is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.