BCD536 Encrypted Channel Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've got my local P25 trunked system (Louisville MetroSafe) programmed as a conventional system. That was done if there was ever a "Failsoft" situation. The Avoid is on until needed.

Just for the heck of it, I stopped avoiding this system, just to give it a listen.

There are encrypted talkgroups on this system using both ADP and AES encryption. When the scanner stopped on a frequency, there was no audio but there was full signal strength.

I'm certain the scanner was doing what it was supposed to do - not receiving encrypted stuff. However, the "ENC" did not appear on the screen.

So the question is this "Is ENC indicator displayed only on certain types of encryption, or is it supposed to show up regardless of the type of encryption used?"

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As a follow-up, I've programmed in a number of TGIDs that I know to be encrypted with ADP encryption. When such a talkgroup is active, the scanner will briefly stop on the channel, with no audio and then continue scanning, but no "ENC" is displayed.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I've got my local P25 trunked system (Louisville MetroSafe) programmed as a conventional system. That was done if there was ever a "Failsoft" situation. The Avoid is on until needed.

Just for the heck of it, I stopped avoiding this system, just to give it a listen.

There are encrypted talkgroups on this system using both ADP and AES encryption. When the scanner stopped on a frequency, there was no audio but there was full signal strength.

I'm certain the scanner was doing what it was supposed to do - not receiving encrypted stuff. However, the "ENC" did not appear on the screen.

So the question is this "Is ENC indicator displayed only on certain types of encryption, or is it supposed to show up regardless of the type of encryption used?"

The ENC indicator shows on my display on both AES and ADP encryption schemes on my BCD536HP. Hold on the encrypted channel or talk group and see if it shows up on the display.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Doug.

When I hold on an ADP talkgroup it does show ENC as you said. It's also showing DAT (which I'm thinking is the control channel and no activity on the ADP talkgroup). But it's also showing LNK and ENC when there's an apparent conversation on the encrypted talkgroup. It's not alternating back and forth, however. I'm wondering if that's sort of like "carrier" after the transmission concludes but before it goes back to the control channel.

Jake68111

I agree. While scanning, the 536 does act differently from other scanners when it stops on an ENC TG.

I hope this isn't something we have to get used to. Its still early in the game and I'm sure there will be a plethora of updates that will only enhance what is a nice radio.

I'll sit patiently (hard to do sometimes) with my fingers crossed! :)

VE3RADIO

I find that the P25/DAT/ENC indicators only shows up on the 3 line display mode.. I find this disappointing as I like to see what is going on with the talkgroup... I have been forced to use the 3 line display mode if i want to see the indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.