BCD536 Parts

huntj8500

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD536 (2014 vintage) that is having a garbled or missing display and I have narrowed the problem down to the flex cable that connects the scanner main board to the head/control board. I reached out to Uniden about purchasing the flex cable, as I have worked in the electronics repair biz and can repair the unit myself with the correct part. I inquired with them about purchasing the flex cable so I can fix my scanner.

Uniden told met that they don't sell parts to end users and I would be welcome to send the unit into depot for them to fix it. I'm pretty upset with Uniden right now as I have spent thousands on their scanners in the past and they are not interested in selling repair parts for their products.

I am not interested in spending a few hundred dollars sending the unit in for depot repair, when I can fix it with a 20.00 flex cable that I install myself. Has anyone replaced a defective flex cable and have an aftermarket part number or manufacturer that I can get the flex cable from?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jon

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I presume you have done this, but incase you haven't...

Clean the flex cable ends and connectors with a q-tip and lighter fluid (naphtha).

RFI-EMI-GUY

If they sold all their parts, lets say a nefarious Whistler employee bought out all stock on LCD cables.

Uniden would be unable to repair radios for customers with warranty issues.

The scanner business is not high volume like LMR or smartphones.

I am having enough trouble buying car parts in this day and age. We are apparently in a cold war with the sole supplier of stuff we need.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Check Mouser
They sell the flex cables in various lengths and contact pitch's.

Just measure your contact width or pitch and the amount of contacts you need plus the length and you can order a single cable if you wish.
It may not be exact and may have extra contacts in the strip but you can trim them away. Also confirm the ends are the same with the plated contacts being on the same side of the new flex cable you order. The cables datasheets should also give the thickness at the ends as you don't want to force a slightly thicker connector end of the cable into a socket that may also be worn.

I've replaced several of the Uniden OEM flex cables in various models using what Mouser sells and they have always worked fantastic.

Do try the cleaning methods also. I've also used a single layer of scotch tape on the non plated side of the flex cable ends to give the end a couple thousands of an inch thicker mass that has fixed problems. It's usually the tinned surface on the cable end itself the wears though so a new cable is really the way to go.
Don't go crazy and buy a new cable several inches longer. Just buy whatever is close and will reach both connectors without stress on either end. A half inch or inch longer should also work fine if you can't find the exact length.
Digikey is also a great source but I think Mouser is easier to look through their listings once you drill down to the exact type of ribbon cable you need.
I don't have part numbers as I've done so many repairs.