BCD536 Remote listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordnance1

Premium Subscriber
Remote listening

This might be a dumb question but everything I have read talks about the ability to listen remotely to your scanner using a smart phone or tablet.

So I am wondering if I will be able to access my scanner from my work computer (desktop) without having to install any software on the receiving computer?

n5ims

This might be a dumb question but everything I have read talks about the ability to listen remotely to your scanner using a smart phone or tablet.

So I am wondering if I will be able to access my scanner from my work computer (desktop) without having to install any software on the receiving computer?

Those remote listeners are folks that are taking advantage of folks with scanners that dedicate one or more (at times many more than one) to feed acceptable signals from their area to be picked up using one of those scanner apps on a smart phone or tablet. If you dedicate your scanner (and a computer) to providing a feed, you could indeed monitor your scanner from your phone, tablet, or even a computer. Be aware that this dedication is important and what that scanner is programmed to pick up is limited by the TOS (terms of service).

The scanner and computer needs to be dedicated since you agree to feed specific stuff and can't just change things at your whim. It also must be available 24/7/365 (or as close to that as possible). Details on becoming a provider is here --> Becoming a Feed Provider - The RadioReference Wiki

Although an applet is required on most smart phones or tablets, on a PC all you generally need is a browser. Be aware that often workplaces restrict what they allow browsers on their network can access so although the feed is freely available to all, it may be blocked by your employer's internet connection firewalls.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I started an earlier thread and wanted to qualify my question but for some reason the site thought the question was more than 120 minutes old.

Any way, everything I have read indicates that you can listen to your scanner, while away, using a smart phone or tablet. So I am just wondering if I will be able to listen to my scanner from my desktop computer at work?

The manual says you will be able to.

mibzzer15

Yup, you should be able to, but just a warning, the app for that is not out just yet, but it is supposed to be soon.

Randdon

From what I have read, for what it is worth, we can now get the Wi-FI transmitter working, and connected to a wireless network. NOW we need the app that works with the 536 for the purpose of remote listening.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber

No one addressed your second question, to which the answer is no. You will have to have client software installed in order to listen from a phone or PC as it stands now AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.