BCD536 WiFi Keeps Dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD536 that I have hooked to ProScan to stream.

Everything connects fine and works. However randomly the Scanner disappears from being connected.

If I power cycle the scanner, it magically starts working again automatically without me having to do anything.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Firmware is up to date 7.28 on Dongle and Scanner is latest too.

FWIW... my SDS200 does not have this issue. It seems to show as available 24/7. However, I was preferring to use my retired BCD536 for streaming and keeping the SDS200 for active use. The SDS not having issue seems to eliminate the computer and Proscan Setup as an issue.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
I would check your router I have had 4 536's connected for over a year at a time no drop outs.
What version PROSCAN are you running. 14.3 had drop outs I think 14.4 works great.

Thank you for the Reply! I am running 14.4.

Also, its not my router.. I don't even have a router per-se. I have a Ubiquiti Networking system with a Gateway, 24 Port Switch and 2 wireless Access Points. It is a high-powered setup compared to traditional Consumer Grade equipment.

I have set Fixed IP to the device... and the issue happens on the internal LAN (so it is not port forwarding) and outside of my network the same.

Also the SDS is on the same network and works fine.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
I shouldn't say I don't have a Router... It does have a "Router"... it just not what you would normal expect. This is enterprise class networking hardware. I really don't think that is the issue... I have a HomeLab and rack system with a lot of servers and stuff on it. So I am pretty confident in my setup there.

I suppose I could isolate it to its own VLAN... but that seems overboard. Especially since the SDS200 isn't having an issue... and simply power cycling the 536 magically reconnects it.

Sometimes it will last 30 mins without disconnecting. Other times it can go 12-14 hours.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
I should add that when it goes offline. I attempt to ping the 536 via terminal commands and about 1 out of every 10 ping attempts gets a response. So it seems like it is there its just not "Stable".

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have built a router like you built. but I would still look at your network as the issue all the PC has to do is drop for 500 mil a seconds and you 536 has to acquire its address and you have what you are describing I have networks running video at over 500MB of constant data and home brew stuff will not work and carry the load.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
Here's a picture of my rack. I have over 50 client devices connecting to the network. No issues with anything except this 536.

Attachments

• IMG_9563b.jpg
    IMG_9563b.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 59

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
Ya here's the thing. I could unplug the "router" right now and my network would stay online. I would just loose firewall and internet access. but everything on the LAN would still talk to each other like nothing happened.

I am gonna pull my extra 536 out of storage and see if it has the same problem. If it does... I might have a 2nd SDS200 in my future. I don't have the patience for this mess. I really think it is the WiFi dongle is just a poor performer. It's too bad it can't be swapped out for a USB 10/100 ethernet dongle.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob! Love your software, such a great tool. Thank you so much for your efforts on it over the years. Really you are a saint to this community.

I did try testing signal strength at the dongle. I get 500-600mb throughput when testing with my phone right by the dongle. The Access Point is only about 20-25 feet away with no obstructions between it.

johnrockie

Feed Provider
I also have this issue with my 536hp. I have two Ubiquiti Access points and the cloud key, I have not been able to figure it out yet, my SDS 200 has had no issues so far.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
ok so for giggles I switched to my ASUS ROG AC5300 and the issues persists. I am thinking this Wifi Dongle is just spotty. I am going to get my other 536 out of storage unit at some point.

johnrockie

Feed Provider
ok so for giggles I switched to my ASUS ROG AC5300 and the issues persists. I am thinking this Wifi Dongle is just spotty. I am going to get my other 536 out of storage unit at some point.
Yeah I also tried directly to the Verizon router, opened all the required ports and even tried it with no firewall in a local environment. The fact that the SDS 200 has no issues even without opening ports makes me conclude that it is an issue with the dongle as well.

lockye

Premium Subscriber
I am also having issues with my scanner disconnecting from the WiFi randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.