BCD536HP - 3 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Still learning with 3 questions.

The Sentinel program has the ability to set P25 Threshold Mode and P25 Threshold Level. What are these for or what do they do (as in what effect will changing these have)?

I uploaded some Favorites Lists to the scanner. I got a message saying "Priority Scan No Channel". What does this mean? (I've only set priority channels on trunked systems if this helps).

Thanks!

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Still learning with 3 questions.

The Sentinel program has the ability to set P25 Threshold Mode and P25 Threshold Level. What are these for or what do they do (as in what effect will changing these have)?

I uploaded some Favorites Lists to the scanner. I got a message saying "Priority Scan No Channel". What does this mean? (I've only set priority channels on trunked systems if this helps).

Thanks!

I think these two terms are the same as what is found in the RR Wiki below on the XT Unidens:

"P25 Adjust Mode - This mode sets the algorithm for P25 decode. If your firmware version is lower than 1.10.00, leave this setting at 3. Anything higher than 3 will just act like 3. Anything lower will have the reduced performance of previous firmware versions on the 396T. If your firmware version is 1.10.00 or 1.11.01, you can follow the instructions on Uniden's Website which suggest using the mode 11 (though some systems are reported to decode better at a setting of 8)."

"P25 Adjust Level - sets the RSSI value below which the scanner will not attempt to make P25 fine tune adjustments. If the signal is too low, RX reliability is not high enough to make P25 adjustments correctly. 50 is the default setting (1-200). People have had better decoding with this value turned up. Note that for firmware version 1.10.00, Uniden specifically instructs users to reset this value back to 50 if it had been changed in the past."

However, in the XT Unidens they changed how much of these two parameters you could adjust compared to the T models. I suspect that the new x36BC radios are probably very similar since in the NEW Sentinel the P25 Adjust Mode is also by default set at 8 (like above). You probably know you adjust these two parameters and watch your P25 decode error rate, to see if it drops.

Since my radio does not arrive until tomorrow I cannot reply to your third question yet.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

I'm somewhat conversant on the Adjust Mode/Level on the XT series having tinkered with these to improve my P25 simulcast decode.

Was wondering if the 536/436 settings may treat decoding differently and if so, how should one go about tweaking these, if needed?

Also, any thoughts on the "Priority Scan No Channel" message and what might cause that?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Priority Scan No Channel means that you tried to turn on Priority Scan, but no conventional channels are assigned as priority channels.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This goes back to what I have said in the past:
There are actually 2 kinds of priority: Conventional & Trunked.
You actually configured the Conventional Priority thinking it was the Trunked Priority.
What you want is Priority ID Scan which works with Trunked Radio Systems.
First go to the Main Menu and select "Manage Favorites". Find the FL for
the FL that contains the TG that you wish to assign as priority. Select it
then select "Review/Edit System". Select the system which has the TGID(s).
Now select "Edit Sys Option". Now Select "Priority ID Scan". Turn it ON.
We are now half way done!
Now:
Pull up each talkgroup that you wish to set as priority
and hit "Enter" then "Edit Current Channel". Now go to "Set Priority" and turn it ON.
Now you are done :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks fellas!

I did too much thinking. I wanted to have a trunked system set up so that some talkgroups were priority. I thought that setting the Priority on in the Sentinel Profile Editor was what is needed. However, that's only if conventional channel priority scanning is desired. It appears that for trunked systems the setting for that is in the system itself via the Favorites List editor (or doing it as Marshall suggested).

Status
Not open for further replies.