BCD536HP - A Quuestion about the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Hi!
Has anyone that purchased the BCD536HP been so pleased with the performance, that they purchased a second Bcd536HP to replace an older Bearcat? I'm contemplating such an action!!
Thank you.

sfd119

I am contemplating it actually. I haven't had any problems with the one in my truck so I figured I'd replace my old 996Xt with a new 536.

durangoGreg

DSC45
The 536 is a decent scanner but I hope you are aware that it does not have the WiFi feature, the analyze feature, and the Siren App as advertised and described in the manual and on the box. Uniden is charging $100.00 over the 436 handheld which has the exact same features, same reception capabilities, etc. but does not have WiFi. Therefore you are paying an extra $100.00 for nothing.
If you wanted to replace an old scanner I would recommend the 436 over the 536.

SCPD

QRT
handheld versus base

Im using a 396XT as my portable in an old drop in holder with power on 24/7, is the handheld sufficient to use that way. im using 996XT in another room with extension speaker for my Radio ref feed. I like a base model better than a handheld. It runs 24/ 7. Im thinking maybe a base model is sturdier and better able hopefully to handle power 24/7 than a handheld.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
durangoGreg
I have the 436HP & 536HP and have compared both as to quality of reception, and the ability to receive signals 20 miles away from one of my favorites channels. I have overwhelmingly chosen the 536 as my favorite scanner. Although, I'm aware of the missing wifi and other features you stated, this is still best for my application.

I'm disapointed with the reception of the 436, and battery life having to constantly charge batteries.
As far as the 436 with 20 mile away signals, an antenna change is necessary (steel whip) to get that signal with 70% strength and clarity. I'm seriously thinking of selling it!

I live in Central Jersey, lots of mountains hills and low lands, not the perfect place to be scanning. I also have a second strike against living in a section of Somerset County which is known for being a dead spot. Even so, the 536 works like a champ and I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks for the response!

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
batteries for 396xt

my wife and i both have the 396 and love it.
the big problem is the battery life. i work in an office so i bought a AC charger to use whhile at work.
my wife travels and her runs down during a trip.
we are useing 2300 mAh batteries now. i have seen some 2500 but sure that is really going to make a difference.

have shopped for mobile charger but reviews from the users were not kind.

any ideas?

JamesO

my wife and i both have the 396 and love it.
the big problem is the battery life. i work in an office so i bought a AC charger to use whhile at work.
my wife travels and her runs down during a trip.
we are useing 2300 mAh batteries now. i have seen some 2500 but sure that is really going to make a difference.

have shopped for mobile charger but reviews from the users were not kind.

any ideas?

As for a charger, I am quite happy with my Maha charger. It can condition and analyze the batteries and can be uses with an option lighter adapter for the car. This may not be the fastest charge, but it does charge and analyze the batteries in a very different way than a standard charger. Not cheap, but worth it in my opinion.

There are batteries even up to 2800 mAh on the market, but I have also heard good things about the Eneloop batteries even though their mAh rating may not be as high as some other batteries.

You may find with a decent charger, like the Maha charger, that your battery life will increase a lot due to the pulse and cycle capability of the charger. Usually about every 30 charges the batteries can be conditioned as well.

Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: Maha Energy Powerex - 12V Car Adapter for "Wizard" MH-C9000 (2A): Electronics

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I got one for the house when they first came out. I had long range plans for a second for my vehicle. However I was so impressed with the performance of the first, I moved up my plans. I had a 996XT in my vehicle. I listen to a simulcast system, and the 536 has the 996 beat by a long way.

The only downside, and I'm certain this is just a temporary problem, is that I had a remote head for the 996XT. I'm planning to use the Siren App for remote purposes. The scanner is in a console and is kind of awkward to access.

durangoGreg

I got one for the house when they first came out. I had long range plans for a second for my vehicle. However I was so impressed with the performance of the first, I moved up my plans. I had a 996XT in my vehicle. I listen to a simulcast system, and the 536 has the 996 beat by a long way.

The only downside, and I'm certain this is just a temporary problem, is that I had a remote head for the 996XT. I'm planning to use the Siren App for remote purposes. The scanner is in a console and is kind of awkward to access.

Have you been using the GPS module to scan based on location from the GPS?
I primarily bought my 536 for mobile use, using the GPS for location scanning and using the WiFi for remote head operations. I can only mount the 536 in a console or under the rear seat.

Since the WiFi feature is not yet functional I haven't tried mobile use yet and I am now a bit reluctant to buy the GPS module considering the fiasco with the WiFi module. Does the GPS part at least work or this another fraudulent claim by Uniden.

sfd119

Have you been using the GPS module to scan based on location from the GPS?.

I do and it works wonderful. I wish it would "chirp" when turning on/off something but that's alright. I have found that I need to tweak the GPS settings of the towers for my area though.

I use it to monitor the Wisconsin Statewide Trunking System, WISCOM. It's pretty cool I can go through the entire state and it will turn on and off towers for me.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 BCD536HPs. I am a little disappointed in the audio on my local P25 Phase II system but considering the technicalities of p25 Phase II TDMA I am very pleased with with it's performance. My second 536 is being used to monitor our State Police which is conventional trunking.

What of the biggest things I like is the wealth of info displayed on the screen and when using Virtual Control of the new software I'm using, ARC 536.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you been using the GPS module to scan based on location from the GPS?
I primarily bought my 536 for mobile use, using the GPS for location scanning and using the WiFi for remote head operations. I can only mount the 536 in a console or under the rear seat.

Since the WiFi feature is not yet functional I haven't tried mobile use yet and I am now a bit reluctant to buy the GPS module considering the fiasco with the WiFi module. Does the GPS part at least work or this another fraudulent claim by Uniden.

Yes and like SFD119 I'm happy with the GPS performance. Presently I'm using the Uniden BC-GPSK device.

This BC-GPSK was used when I had the 996XT in my vehicle. This device also works on the 436 model, the HP-1 and 396/996 model scanners that have location control capabilities. Before the BC-GPSK, I used a Garmin eTrex Legend.

For sure I'm disappointed about the Siren App delay. But I'm not prepared to beat up on Uniden, because I have had my own experiences with things going wrong. For example a simple 15 minute home repair taking all day involving numerous trips to the home store to get different parts.

I'm still willing to be patient as it is sounding like things to resolve the issue are heading in the right direction.

And if worst case scenario happens and the WIFI just can't be made to work, I can see Uniden being very creative and come up with alternatives. Such as providing us with a hard wired remote head for vehicle use along with a way to hard wire the scanner into a home computer for remote scanning purposes (and there may be some other third party software folks working on that right now).

kb8rvp

I picked up the BCD436 and 536HP right when they came out and have been very happy with them both. Very happy with the reception on the 536 in the car and 436 at work and home in Michigan on the state APCO 25 800MHz system as well as analog.

Mike

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have two 536HPs and one 436HP. Despite my frustration with lack of Wi-Fi and analyze, as of date, they are still great scanners. Now that I understand the Favorite List thing and the FL/Sys/Dept structure more, and the flexibility of turning on/off services (law disp, fire tac, etc) its hard to go back to even my 396XT and 996XT (both great scanners). I use them all the time. Also love on board recording features.
Despite lack of the Wi-Fi, if I were going to buy a unit to run pretty much 24/7, I would go with the 536HP. Although I do use the 436HP in the car quite a bit. P25, once I got the settings down, is better on the x36HPs than XTs.
Steve AA6IO

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone that responded to my question! I really appreciate it, and has helped me make up my mind. I will purchase my second 536 on Tuesday.

Some members that have posted their lack of enthusiasm for the 536 in other posts here on this forum have been confusing to me. I have been pleased with mine since the day it came out of the box. Wifi and the siren app are not important to me, although I realize other members have their own priorities, and it's important to Uniden that everyone is pleased. I'm sure Uniden will work out these quirks, than everyone should be happy!

At first, I was concerned about the PC computer programming, but now it's old hat! Just love this radio!!
Thank you All,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.