BCD536HP AGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcousticElectron

Premium Subscriber
I just got the BCD536HP and it is my first digital scanner. One of the features on this scanner is an AGC option, which I understood to smooth out the difference of volume on channels so you don't have loud channels and soft channels. I've searched all the menus trying to find how to turn this on, but cannot find anything. Does anyone know how to enable this option?

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I just got the BCD536HP and it is my first digital scanner. One of the features on this scanner is an AGC option, which I understood to smooth out the difference of volume on channels so you don't have loud channels and soft channels. I've searched all the menus trying to find how to turn this on, but cannot find anything. Does anyone know how to enable this option?

Unfortunately AGC can only be enabled while using Favorite Lists. I cannot find a way to turn on AGC while using the Full Database like I can do with my Homepatrol.

AcousticElectron

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully...

Hopefully they'll make this available in a future update. One of the nice things about buying a scanner less than a month on the market in today's electronic world, is they are still working on features or corrections that will be added in future updates. It used to be when you bought something electronic, that's what you had. Upgradable firmware has changed it all.

SCPD

QRT
1st

Thats some first scanner ,guy! Good luck with it and enjoy the hobby.I leave my AGC off,I like to hear it just as it comes throgh,I think it even works better off.Happy Scanning.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
AGC

Hopefully that will actually make the AGC work. It doesn't do much with P25 one radio blasts loud the next is so low you can't hear it and that's with the AGC on.

Hopefully they'll make this available in a future update. One of the nice things about buying a scanner less than a month on the market in today's electronic world, is they are still working on features or corrections that will be added in future updates. It used to be when you bought something electronic, that's what you had. Upgradable firmware has changed it all.

AcousticElectron

Premium Subscriber
I finally figured out how to turn on the AGC. I thought I could hear a bit more distortion in the signal. It's probably the noise on the lower volume channels being amplified. As far as P25 goes, I know what it is but it's still a little over my head as I'm trying to read anything I can about scanning to understand it all. I'll get it eventually. I have a computer background so I'm looking at all like its a new operating system on a computer.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
AGC

My problem is on the 435 but it's AGC so I figured I'd mention it here too. I've got my AGC now turned off for P25 Digital systems and it doesn't seem any worse than when it was on. As if it doesn't work.

The radio distorts at higher volumes and if it's set on volume level 5 when some talk groups come on it distorts the audio and sometimes you hear a Pop and then no audio.

The distortion is there whether the AGC is on or off. It's disappointing for sure.

I finally figured out how to turn on the AGC. I thought I could hear a bit more distortion in the signal. It's probably the noise on the lower volume channels being amplified. As far as P25 goes, I know what it is but it's still a little over my head as I'm trying to read anything I can about scanning to understand it all. I'll get it eventually. I have a computer background so I'm looking at all like its a new operating system on a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.