BCD536HP Arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma371

QRT
Scanner arrived.

Just a quick note, I tested San Joaquin Co S/O right away because they run a conventional P25 simulcast system which has been difficult to monitor with the 396xt/996xt. Sounds great.

Review to follow, stay tuned.

mancow

Database Admin
Simulcast will be my deciding factor. If you guys say there is a significant improvement then I'm ordering right away. I'm eager to hear more when you get a chance please.

Sac916

Well - I may make you drive up to Sacto when it does the cut over.
(make = booze temptation)

kma371

QRT
Simulcast will be my deciding factor. If you guys say there is a significant improvement then I'm ordering right away. I'm eager to hear more when you get a chance please.

Yeah, I'm updating firmware/database etc at the moment. Not an easy radio to program that's for sure.

mancow

Database Admin
I wish there was a way to petition them to be a beta tester. The KC area is simulcast hell. This is the perfect proving ground.

kma371

QRT
Ok, so an hour and a half later, I think I finally figured out enough to program this scanner. This may be the first time EVER where I had to read a Uniden manual to figure out how to do it.

Just quickly for the folks with simulcast issues, A local department uses a simulcast conventional P25 repeater. It sounded like garbage on the 996XT and 396XT as some may already be aware. On the 536HP, this issue goes away.

An issue I don't like is when scanning a multi-site P25 system, it doesn't tell you what site you're listening to. I can hear the Contra Costa East, Contra Costa Central and Alameda County East sites of the EBRCS system from my location. When it stops on a TG, I can't tell which site I'm listening to. It would be good to know because one site gives me more problems than the other. If there is a way to show the site name, someone let me know.

A positive thing is there is no longer a need to switch back and forth between P25 tone search and PL/DCS search in quick search mode. Example, when you are scanning a range, lets say 460.000-461.000 and it stops on a P25 freq, the NAC gets displayed automatically. Same with an analog freq, PL/DCS is displayed automatically.

This is just a personal pet peeve, but I don't like how the function knob and volume/squelch knobs got reversed on the front panel. I'm right handed (like about 80% of the rest of the world). When I use the function knob to scroll through menu's etc..my big fat hand is in the way of the display and I can't see what I want to be looking at. No offense lefty's ;)

I also miss the scan/hold buttons on the right side because I could basically control every function of the scanner with just the one hand, as all the buttons were in the same place. Now there is a lot of moving around. This is an issue when driving around.

Well, that was a quick down and dirty eval. If anyone has any questions or things they want to see, post here.

wise871

Database Admin
KMA371
I agree with you on the control placement. I did a test drive on a quite street and I can't see the display either when operating the function knob. One handed quick operation is not its strong suite. When the app comes out this will solve a lot of my problems since I have my iphone mounted near eye level on my dash.

As far as sites go, I see them display when scanning but you don't when it's holding on a talkgroup. I will double check that tomorrow. On the XT you knew what site you were on.

Tonight is the first time I got to hear a Phase II system on the Alabama Network. It sound great on my end.

Sac916

Oh. Well, cutover is not til "spring". Guess I'll have to buy my own.

Sent from my Android via Tapatalk app

mkewman

Ant,

Perhaps a roadtrip with you and I to HRO in Oakland is in order? That is if they have one in stock for demo purposes.

I too wish I could petition or sign up to be a beta tester, considering I now work with these trunked and conventional systems on a daily basis at a radio shop, I'd be perfect. ;)

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
He's got until Friday when I return. Better start persuading him since it flies out with me next Monday. ;)

Glad to hear that you managed to get an early copy. When I saw you posting on 535 topics, I thought I'd search posts to see if you had posted a review.

So have you had an opportunity to play with the radio enough to provide a basic review?

I know you've been a big GRE fan. Does the x36 series approach the GRE in terms of decoded P25 audio quality?

Someone in the San Francisco forum was asking about the 535. Any opportunity to monitor systems that gave the older Unidens difficulties?

I may consider an "investment" in the new radio when Sunnyvale makes their transition to their new radio system...

scottyhetzel

Ok, so an hour and a half later, I think I finally figured out enough to program this scanner. This may be the first time EVER where I had to read a Uniden manual to figure out how to do it.

Just quickly for the folks with simulcast issues, A local department uses a simulcast conventional P25 repeater. It sounded like garbage on the 996XT and 396XT as some may already be aware. On the 536HP, this issue goes away.

An issue I don't like is when scanning a multi-site P25 system, it doesn't tell you what site you're listening to. I can hear the Contra Costa East, Contra Costa Central and Alameda County East sites of the EBRCS system from my location. When it stops on a TG, I can't tell which site I'm listening to. It would be good to know because one site gives me more problems than the other. If there is a way to show the site name, someone let me know.

A positive thing is there is no longer a need to switch back and forth between P25 tone search and PL/DCS search in quick search mode. Example, when you are scanning a range, lets say 460.000-461.000 and it stops on a P25 freq, the NAC gets displayed automatically. Same with an analog freq, PL/DCS is displayed automatically.

This is just a personal pet peeve, but I don't like how the function knob and volume/squelch knobs got reversed on the front panel. I'm right handed (like about 80% of the rest of the world). When I use the function knob to scroll through menu's etc..my big fat hand is in the way of the display and I can't see what I want to be looking at. No offense lefty's ;)

I also miss the scan/hold buttons on the right side because I could basically control every function of the scanner with just the one hand, as all the buttons were in the same place. Now there is a lot of moving around. This is an issue when driving around.

Well, that was a quick down and dirty eval. If anyone has any questions or things they want to see, post here.

You cant mount that radio on the left side of the dash, unless your in a motor home.... so its set up for right hand users center console mount. Unless you are using it as a base at home or office. I agree with you the layout should have been like the 996.. Maybe the Uniden crew were thinking the tablet would have fixed most users issues do to placement. Im looking forward tomthatbrelease. Just my .02 worth..

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
So have you had an opportunity to play with the radio enough to provide a basic review?

I know you've been a big GRE fan. Does the x36 series approach the GRE in terms of decoded P25 audio quality?

Someone in the San Francisco forum was asking about the 535. Any opportunity to monitor systems that gave the older Unidens difficulties?
I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. It was monitoring a VHF P25 trunked system I was working on last week fine. In the evenings I played around with it and am slowly getting it. There are many new concepts for me since I'm coming from the GRE world but I'd certainly call the scanner "esoteric". I do need some more time with it and since I'm home this week I should get to it. I've got some complaints but they're partially possibly due to ignorance or because of new concepts for operation.

Regarding the voice quality, I'll just say based on what I know, that the voice decoding was done by someone different this time around so there should be improvements. I know I've found the audio very bold though you can still tell who has their mic right up on their mouth and who talks far from it. P25 voice has always been sensitive to that and it's some work compensating for that in the DSP.

Based on what I've read there was no attempt to fix the Simulcast issue so I'm not going to waste the gas to drive out West to test it out; time should answer this question I'm sure. I think any perceived differences (It sounds improved) will be due to a different software developer this time around.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. It was monitoring a VHF P25 trunked system I was working on last week fine. In the evenings I played around with it and am slowly getting it

A bit o/t, but I'll ask. VHF P25 systems are uncommon in the Bay area. Was it one that was coming on line here? I see from your sig that you're traveling a lot, so it could just as easily be somewhere else...

I want to know if we need to look for a new control channel in the area. ;)

kma371

QRT
A bit o/t, but I'll ask. VHF P25 systems are uncommon in the Bay area. Was it one that was coming on line here? I see from your sig that you're traveling a lot, so it could just as easily be somewhere else...

I want to know if we need to look for a new control channel in the area. ;)

Wayne travels a lot now so its not likely a local system he was talking about.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Yes, very lonestar far from here and being it's work related I unfortunately have to leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.