BCD536HP Database Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdmax

Hello everyone, for the past 2 days I have been trying to program and troubleshooted this issue extensively.

I don't know if I've found a system bug or my radio is playing tricks on me. I'm in South Jersey and currently my other radios are mainly set to monitor Cumberland County, City of Millville and Vineland. So, the minute my new BCD536HP arrived I dedicated my BCD996XT to monitor NJ State Police and proceeded to program the 536.

Everything worked fine until I decided to add City of Vineland Trunked Motorola system to my favorites. No matter what I tried the radio would not scan that system. I double and triple checked everything and looked for obvious errors, read the manual few times, updated the firmware and still could not get it to work. The radio simply displayed "nothing to scan". Manual frequencies and every other system worked fine and the radio performed flawlessly during those scans.

Upon further investigation, I tried listening to Vineland from the main database using zip code and the same symptoms appeared. Vineland was totally ignored and upon locking out systems one by one, it showed nothing was being scanned again.

So I have added Vineland manually by creating new favorites list and voila, Vineland is scanning and working as advertised. I don't know if it's just my radio or it's a database bug that everyone can easily replicate.

Anyway, I thought I post this here and please be easy on me if I'm doing something wrong as I'm a newly registered member even though I have been coming here for years.

Thank you.

ccdmax

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps the service types for the system in the database are ones you have turned off on your scanner. To test new systems and favorites, its best to turn location control off, and turn all the service types on.

I noticed most of the agencys on that system are listed a Multi-Tac or Law-Talk. When you enter it manually, it assigns everything as Custom1, which I believe is on by default in the scanner. Might check that.

Last edited:

ccdmax

Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense however, I have already tried that and it made no difference.
The usual suspects like Quick Keys, Location, List to Scan, etc. made no difference whatsoever.
What makes it interesting is, that when you try listening by zip code it scans all other local systems except New Jersey, Cumberland, County Systems, Vineland City even though it's part of the selection.

JamesO

"Nothing To Scan" likely is because you made the favorites list from scratch.

You will probably find the Service Type set to "Custom 1".

Before you rack your head, turn on or activate the Service Type "Custom 1" and see if you can scan that problem favorite list.

The problem is with the Sentinel software, it will default the Service Type to "Custom 1" and if you check the drop box it will display only the bottom last entries in the field of like 32 Service Types. The top item will be "Custom 1" rather than the first item in the Service Type list.

Do not feel bad, you are about the 50th person this has happened to. But of course everyone thinks the software is just fine as it is even though it is TOTALLY NOT INTUITIVE and Uniden should have a "Wild Card" Service Type that is NOT filtered.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
BCD536HP Database Error

Hello everyone, for the past 2 days I have been trying to program and troubleshooted this issue extensively.

I don't know if I've found a system bug or my radio is playing tricks on me. I'm in South Jersey and currently my other radios are mainly set to monitor Cumberland County, City of Millville and Vineland. So, the minute my new BCD536HP arrived I dedicated my BCD996XT to monitor NJ State Police and proceeded to program the 536.

Everything worked fine until I decided to add City of Vineland Trunked Motorola system to my favorites. No matter what I tried the radio would not scan that system. I double and triple checked everything and looked for obvious errors, read the manual few times, updated the firmware and still could not get it to work. The radio simply displayed "nothing to scan". Manual frequencies and every other system worked fine and the radio performed flawlessly during those scans.

Upon further investigation, I tried listening to Vineland from the main database using zip code and the same symptoms appeared. Vineland was totally ignored and upon locking out systems one by one, it showed nothing was being scanned again.

So I have added Vineland manually by creating new favorites list and voila, Vineland is scanning and working as advertised. I don't know if it's just my radio or it's a database bug that everyone can easily replicate.

Anyway, I thought I post this here and please be easy on me if I'm doing something wrong as I'm a newly registered member even though I have been coming here for years.

Thank you.

ccdmax

It just might have to do with your range settings. Press the RANG button and enter 50 and see if that fixes the issue.

ccdmax

"Nothing To Scan" likely is because you made the favorites list from scratch.

You will probably find the Service Type set to "Custom 1".

Before you rack your head, turn on or activate the Service Type "Custom 1" and see if you can scan that problem favorite list.

The problem is with the Sentinel software, it will default the Service Type to "Custom 1" and if you check the drop box it will display only the bottom last entries in the field of like 32 Service Types. The top item will be "Custom 1" rather than the first item in the Service Type list.

Do not feel bad, you are about the 50th person this has happened to. But of course everyone thinks the software is just fine as it is even though it is TOTALLY NOT INTUITIVE and Uniden should have a "Wild Card" Service Type that is NOT filtered.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just checked it and the Service Types are set to Law Talk, etc.
Will play with these settings and report back.

ccdmax

It just might have to do with your range settings. Press the RANG button and enter 50 and see if that fixes the issue.

Did that as I thought this could possibly be the issue but no go.
Same "nothing to scan" no matter what range I tried, but thanks for your suggestion.

ccdmax

Update:

Everything works now without issues but only after I followed with "erase user data", "erase favorites lists on scanner" and "force write full database" from the Sentinel software.

For anyone experiencing the same issues, selecting just "erase favorites" and "force write database" did not fix the issue for me. The issue disappeared only after I have erased user data and followed with the other two options.

I guess something must have been corrupted on the memory card or it contained invalid data somewhere.
I'm glad that everything works now as it should.

Again, I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and help with this issue.

ccdmax

Status
Not open for further replies.