BCD536HP DMR Upgrade issue.

AOR1000XLT

Hello, I have this used BCD536HP Scanner which I bought it with DMR already programmed inside and it worked fine.
I didn't use the scanner for few month and now when I turn it on the DMR isn't working. I still have the DMR Key and when I try to use it, It says that's incorrect.

What can I do to solve this issue?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Go to the DMR Upgrade menu, if DMR is in the radio it will tell you so, if it asks for the key it is not installed.

Remember that the keys are for a specific radio, a key purchased for one radio will not work for another. Also, once DMR is installed in a radio it cannot be removed by the user.

The only way for the DMR feature to be "uninstalled" is if the main board is replaced, in that case Uniden has the ability (and would normally do so) to edit the ESN to match the one the radio came with. In that case the same key(s) would be used to re-enable the upgrade.

Changing the SD Card, updating the firmware or any type of keyboard or computer programming will not and cannot uninstall the DMR (nor NXDN/PV) features.

AOR1000XLT

The DMR key gets loaded directly into the scanner once, no need to reload it after sitting for several months.

I still don't have it. I used to have a problem with the reception maybe it's connected to the problem?

Go to the DMR Upgrade menu, if DMR is in the radio it will tell you so, if it asks for the key it is not installed.

Remember that the keys are for a specific radio, a key purchased for one radio will not work for another. Also, once DMR is installed in a radio it cannot be removed by the user.

The only way for the DMR feature to be "uninstalled" is if the main board is replaced, in that case Uniden has the ability (and would normally do so) to edit the ESN to match the one the radio came with. In that case the same key(s) would be used to re-enable the upgrade.

Changing the SD Card, updating the firmware or any type of keyboard or computer programming will not and cannot uninstall the DMR (nor NXDN/PV) features.

Thank you for the detailed answer. It does asks for the key. The key that I use isn't working, I made sure everything is matching from the key that I got on the email. I didn't replace the main board or anything like that. So what can I do to fix this? Should I contact Uniden?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the detailed answer. It does asks for the key.
Are you sure the scanner is asking you for the DMR key and not the NXDN or ProVoice key? If it is actually asking for the DMR key, it was never previously upgraded.

You stated that it's a used scanner, did you check to see if the DMR upgrade had been installed when you first received the scanner? Where did you get the DMR upgrade key from?

As mentioned previously, once the upgrade has been done, it can not be removed by anything the end user could do, and it can't uninstall itself.

Have you checked in the menu to see if any of the other upgrades have been installed? Maybe the seller miscommunicated which upgrade had been installed?

Last edited:

AOR1000XLT

Are you sure the scanner is asking you for the DMR key and not the NXDN or ProVoice key? If it is actually asking for the DMR key, it was never previously upgraded.

You stated that it's a used scanner, did you check to see if the DMR upgrade had been installed when you first received the scanner? Where did you get the DMR upgrade key from?

As mentioned previously, once the upgrade has been done, it can not be removed by anything the end user could do, and it can't uninstall itself.

Have you checked in the menu to see if any of the other upgrades have been installed?
I have used it when I bought it. everything worked fine both DMR and NXDN upgrades. used these features and also made sure they are indeed upgraded. Maybe the previous owner could have done something to intterupt with this like change some type of info on Uniden sites? or something like that?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Is this the same 536 that you owned in 2017?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have this used BCD536HP Scanner which I bought it with DMR already programmed inside and it worked fine.
I didn't use the scanner for few month and now when I turn it on the DMR isn't working. I still have the DMR Key and when I try to use it, It says that's incorrect.

It's because the radio you bought the key for is not the radio you have now. The key, when purchased is for one specific radio and that key is based on that specific radio's ESN (not the serial number on the paper label). You cannot remove it once installed. If the motherboard is replaced, a new ESN exists. Only Uniden can reinstall license keys IF (and only if) they are the folks who replaced the motherboard.

If you or any other person swapped the motherboard you are SOL.

Ubbe

Check in the scanners own menu what it says about its serial number as it is that number that gets connected to your DMR key.
As the key can be entered by a user it is saved in a programmable memory that can become corrupt or fail.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you sold the Scanner and then got a DIFFERENT SCANNER back from the person you sold it to.
Go to my.uniden.com and log in as you I bet the 536 info that the scanner displays is DIFFERENT FROM WHAT IS LISTED BY UNIDEN.
If this is the case you need to get your scanner back from the other Party or BUY new DMR KEY FROM UNIDEN.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If it says INCORRECT KEY that means it is allowing you to try to enter a key which won't be an available option if there is a key installed.

(If a key is installed it will say it is installed and will not allow key entry)

Solution: Buy a key for that unit.