BCD536HP Firmware Upgrade recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have a BCD536HP SN: 375Z68001456 with FW Version 1.11.20 11/14/2016.

It is working well for what I use it for, monitoring a specific P25 system. Audio has always been a bit muffled at times and variable due to console and subscriber differences.

Now I see the two latest releases:

Version 1.28.14 Released 6/25/21
ONLY use Sentinel to upgrade firmware. Some users have rendered their scanners non-functional using other update methods.
Housekeeping update to accommodate revised hardware - No functional change from 1.26.00.

1.26.00 Release Notes (04/20/2019)
Release Notes:
1. Change to disable housekeeping when scanning only one site
2. Support for displaying EA EDACS system ID
3. Fixed reboot issue with many sessions in user recording mode
4. Fixed squelch backlight issues
5. Speed up record file search
6. Improved the clarity of digital voice
7. Modified muting issue during analog reception
8. Modified the valid condition of EDACS system ID

Obviously item 6 interests me.

I have hardware that is from over 6 years ago.

Is 1.26.00 most applicable to me? Or should I be considering the latest or some much earlier update?

I don't have DMR, NXDN EDACS or other enhancements.

Will I need to update my database to agree with a FW upgrade?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The FW upgrade won't effect your DB at all! But of course a copy of it somewhere is always a good idea...
I upgraded 10 536hp units at work, from your version to 1.26.00. Was very easy and yes the users said they feel the P25 audio is more readable...I didn't hear them before the upgrade so can't throw in my two cents worth.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD536HP SN: 375Z68001456 with FW Version 1.11.20 11/14/2016.

It is working well for what I use it for, monitoring a specific P25 system. Audio has always been a bit muffled at times and variable due to console and subscriber differences.

Now I see the two latest releases:

Version 1.28.14 Released 6/25/21
ONLY use Sentinel to upgrade firmware. Some users have rendered their scanners non-functional using other update methods.
Housekeeping update to accommodate revised hardware - No functional change from 1.26.00.

1.26.00 Release Notes (04/20/2019)
Release Notes:
1. Change to disable housekeeping when scanning only one site
2. Support for displaying EA EDACS system ID
3. Fixed reboot issue with many sessions in user recording mode
4. Fixed squelch backlight issues
5. Speed up record file search
6. Improved the clarity of digital voice
7. Modified muting issue during analog reception
8. Modified the valid condition of EDACS system ID

Obviously item 6 interests me.

I have hardware that is from over 6 years ago.

Is 1.26.00 most applicable to me? Or should I be considering the latest or some much earlier update?

I don't have DMR, NXDN EDACS or other enhancements.

Will I need to update my database to agree with a FW upgrade?
While it's not a bad idea to periodically update the main database, that's not going to prevent you from doing the update. I use Favorites lists almost exclusively, so the main database does not do anything for me except when a new system comes online, I can append it into a Favorites list.

Both my 436HPs were updated to 1.26.00 when it first was released. One of the 436's is early production, ordered when the scanners were first released. No problem with either, and no new "gremlins" that suggested I should consider dropping down to an older version.

Version 1.28.14 has the same functionality as 1.26.00. Some of the components in the original design are now past end of life & no longer available. All 1.28 did was to bring the scanners with slightly different internal components up to the same levels as the older scanners using 1.26.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I cant seem to find that thread. can you help?
-

So far, it appears to be limited to the BCD536HP and BCD996P2 'newer hardware' models.

Status
Not open for further replies.