BCD536HP Headphone Related Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So I am going to start this thread so UPMan and the Uniden quality control team can look into this hardware related issue related to the headphone earbud connection in the front of the BCD536HP radio.

I received my radio a few days ago and realized that when I plug in earbuds and they are really nice ones that I hear alot of hissing noise and white noise.

I have tried several different earbuds and this is still an issue.

On the BCT15X and the BCD996XT this is not an issue.

Hopefully this is a firmware related issue that can be worked out to fix this issue with the white noise.

Last edited by a moderator:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1) During transmission or in-between (or both).
2) If during, analog, digital, or both (or is one worse than the other).
3) SN of your unit.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Since this is a headphone related thread I have modified the thread
title to better reflect the thread topic.
Marshall KE4ZNR

gonzalu

Interestingly, I thought the same thing, but ignored it until I could compare it to my HP-1 and 996XT. So I wasn't going nuts.

I have used a pair of Sony high end Noise Cancelling headphones (MDR-10RNC) and a pair of Beats Studio II noise cancelling headphones. Also tried a pair of cheap brandless airline handout headset (over the ear) and my iPhone 5s in-ear earbuds. All are just as noisy.

Happens most noticeably in ANALOG (NYPD, FDNY, AIR BAND), Trunk analog system (NYC DoITT, PANYNJ).

ONLY during transmission for me.

Don't have many reachable digital P25s near me but will try with Yonkers PD as they are digital.

All headsets behave similarly. Will I be able to see the serial in any files stored on the computer? Unfortunately my radio is off at this time but I have the laptop with Sentinel with me here at work.

Last edited:

psdavidson

thats very disappointing. I use my headphones almost exclusively so it doesn't bother the wife. mine ships today. I hope it not to bad :(

psdavidson

on second thought once we get the app I will be using the smart phone more and should not get the white noise, but still disappointing

N8JJ

Premium Subscriber
Headset noise

I don't hear any noise. I do notice I need an increased volume setting. Normally a 10 on the speaker but seemed it needed about a 17 on phones. What is the headphone impedance? The 436 specs say 32 Ohms @ 4 mw. The 536 doesn't specify it. Same??

My Heil Proset is 200 Ohms, so it shouldn't load it down much.
Sony noise cancelling headset is about the same.

PS my high frequency hearing is not good.

bear780ks

That don't sound too good hopefully it's an issue that can be cleared up possibly by a software update if not then it may hurt the sales of the radio I don't listen par say to earphones but I do run my radios with an external speaker hopefully sound is good thru using this method..

wise871

Database Admin
I'll do one better. Here is an audio clip from the headset port. Regardless of what headset I use it's the same. You also hear it when pressing buttons or turning function knob. I captured both digital and analog on the attached audio.

1) During transmission or in-between (or both).
During

2) If during, analog, digital, or both (or is one worse than the other).
Both

3) SN of your unit.

Without earphones, the transmissions are crystal clear and all had 5 bars.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69880744/New Recording.mp3

Last edited:

jrsandy

Premium Subscriber
Headset Noise

I just tried my headphones on my BCD536HP and their is considerable background noise that is not on my BC996XT on same frequency. Also I have to run the volume at almost twice as high to get the same output in the headphones as the 996XT.
I only hear the noise during a transmission. I don't have P25 system to listen to but a conventional and a EDACS system.
I'm using a 600 ohm headset (JRC communications type) and my serial number is 375Z38002322.

bear780ks

Dan I wonder if this may be a safety feature built in to prevent ear damage maybe but on the back ground noise It's making me wander if there maybe a bad batch of jacks installed..

I wished I had 536 to listen to my self as I have a 369 a 996 that I could run a test with but it will be a while for I my 536.. Hoping around Feb..

wise871

Database Admin
like others have said, it's not a problem with other models. You can clearly hear the hissing during the transmissions. But on internal speaker or external speaker it's clear as can be.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I do not get the white noise from my HP using headphones, but I do have the unit turned 3/4 of the ways up when headphones are plugged in and sometimes that is not enough.
I snore loudly...lol

EDIT****** When plugged into a powered speaker it works great and is crystal clear.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Not having the 536 yet, my 996XT had some noise in the background. I eliminated it by using a higher quality audio cable. It is now used on one of my feeds and sounds great.

wise871

Database Admin
I do not get the white noise from my HP using headphones, but I do have the unit turned 3/4 of the ways up when headphones are plugged in and sometimes that is not enough.
I snore loudly...lol

EDIT****** When plugged into a powered speaker it works great and is crystal clear.

Are you referring to the 536 or your home patrol?

wise871

Database Admin
Not having the 536 yet, my 996XT had some noise in the background. I eliminated it by using a higher quality audio cable. It is now used on one of my feeds and sounds great.

Are you providing your live feed from your headset jack on the front of the radio?

Boatanchor

Sounds like the audio section was designed by the same people that worked on the 396XT.

If you listen to the 396XT with headphones, there are all kinds of weird low level cpu/power supply noises when the mute is open or
when receiving digital signals. For someone with good high frequency hearing response, it is damned near maddening and why I can't use headphones with that radio..

The noise doesn't exist on the 996XT.

I hope the 436HP doesn't suffer the same problem because this was my main incentive to 'upgrade' from the 396xt.

Edit.. Just listened to the audio from wise871.

That white noise is bad considering he is receiving supposedly 'fully quieting' FM signal as well as digital signals.
Sounds like dsp audio processing products that are not being filtered sufficiently before the audio PA stage.

I bet the 436 is the same :(

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Sounds like the audio section was designed by the same people that worked on the 396XT.

If you listen to the 396XT with headphones, there are all kinds of weird noises when the mute is open or when receiving digital signals.

The noise doesn't exist on the 996XT.

I hope the 436HP doesn't suffer the same problem because this was my main incentive to 'upgrade' from the 396xt.

FWIW, I've noticed odd noises with my 796D also when it's scanning or listening to a data channel and you have headphones plugged in. It's almost as if the scanner doesn't fully mute but rather just turns the volume way, way down so that you can still barely hear the scanner cruising along the frequencies, listening to data channels, etc. I'm sure if I listened closely enough to the built in speaker, I'd hear it there also, but under normal listening conditions with various other noises in the room, it's not noticeable at all.

A slight hiss on the headphones won't bother me so long as the scanner can still receive the transmission and I can hear what's being said. The simulcast thread has an example of how this scanner performs on our local simulcast system, and based on that video I gotta say, it's WAY better than any previous scanner before it. Looking forward to having it in my hands hopefully by next week. :)

-AZ

Boatanchor

Just so you have a comparison I setup both my 996XT and my 536HP to level 10 on the volume and recorded the same channel. You can hear the difference. By the way the audio from this 536 is the one in my shack. The previous one was from my vehicle install.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69880744/996XT.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69880744/536HP.mp3

So how do you guys feel about having to pay $600 for the privilege of doing Uniden's beta testing for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.