BCD536HP Help- Indianapolis, IN Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

burchis

Evidently I have too much time to spend so I bought a police scanner to tinker with. I have a passion for learning but where do I start with this radio? I understand that IMPD uses a trunking system but need some guidance on getting my scanner programmed. I have the latest Sentinel software and firmware installed. Any help or pointers much appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.

There are a large number of articles in the Wiki regarding your scanner model, including tips and techniques for programming.
Start with this page, and be sure to explore the links on the page. Some of the articles have links to YouTube videos that you might find helpful.

There are "Easier to Read" online manuals for both your scanner model, as well as the Sentinel software.

It looks like many of the agencies in your area are on this system:

Be sure that you have the latest version of Sentinel installed on your PC. If you have not done so, you also need to install the serial driver needed for your PC. Links to Sentinel, and the serial driver, are both on this page:

Install Sentinel, and update the database. Then, connect your scanner to your PC, selecting 'Mass Storage Mode', and write the updated information to your scanner. Then, you can at least get started by entering your location (via zip code), and range, and also selecting the service types that you want to hear. When shipped, and/ or when Sentinel is first installed, only the Dispatch service types for Public Safety are enabled: Law Dispatch, Fore Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, & Multi-Dispatch. ALso enable the Tac and Talk service tyoes for those, i.e. Law Talk, Fire Tac, and so on.

For an explanation of how to use location and range to scan via the main database, see this page:

Remember that for systems that are in the database in Sentinel, you can append them from the database to a Favorites list. Using a Favorites list gives you more discretion on what you do, or do not, want to hear than just using location and range. But location will at least give you a starting point.

burchis

Do I need to add DMR to receive most of the channels in my Indianapolis area?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Only you can answer that.
Have you looked in the RR Database for your area to see what you might want to hear?
If you look at the RR Database and see what is listed is it worth $50 for you to hear it?

burchis

Probably most channels/frequencies that I am interested in is Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P25). Can you tell me if that system relies on DMR?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Do I need to add DMR to receive most of the channels in my Indianapolis area?
From what I see, the vast majority of public safety users in your area are either conventional, or on the Indianapolis P25 system, with a few users on SAFE-T also in your area.

While there are a number of DMR users in your county (Marion), most of these are businesses, or schools and colleges. The airport authority does have a DMR system, but that's maintenance & other users; public safety (fire & police) are on the Indianapolis P25 system. I do see some of the hospitals are using DMR, but that may not be of interest. There's also a number of businesses using the format, and there may be others that are not listed in the database. The DIgital Frequency Search site, that Whiskey3 linked, will give you a list of who is licensed for DMR, but that does not mean, positively, that they are using it. Also, it's database has not been updated since August of last year.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another option, one I would recommend for someone just learning, is to enter your zip code and enter Yes "E" when asked to turn the full database on. Then set your Range to 0. Watch the scanner and note which systems, sites and departments that the scanner attempts to receive.

I'd also set the Service Types to just the Law, Fire and EMS (Menu>Select Service Types).

Once you see which things are being received, you can use Sentinel to develop your own Favorites Lists to further refine what you want the scanner to receive.

Unfortunately up in Indianapolis, they use a simulcast system. That is where several transmitters are broadcasting at the same time on the same frequencies. The pre-SDS scanners can have a tough time with decoding signals from multiple transmitters and all you might get is silence or garble. With that said, sometimes folks get lucky by being very close to a site and this isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.