BCD536HP just arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonefd19

So my unit came this afternoon. I ordered the ARC-XT basic and the dummy manual. I thought it was suppose to come with the serial cable to program with the ARC? It has a USB, but says its not connected. Is my only choice the serial cable? If it is was it suppose to be included? I bought it from scanner master. Any help would be appreciated. ThanksImageUploadedByTapatalk1406260010.888617.jpg

JamesO

Wrong software, you need ARC536.

ARC XT is for the older version scanners that also had serial interfaces.

Order the correct software and you should not have a problem.

Note that ARC536 should work ok via USB, but they clearly indicate for remote control that the rear serial port should be used for stability reasons.

You will need to get your own serial cable if you choose to use the serial port.

Also you should download and install the Sentinel Software to start with, this will be required for Firmware updates and database updates.

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
So my unit came this afternoon. I ordered the ARC-XT basic and the dummy manual. I thought it was suppose to come with the serial cable to program with the ARC? It has a USB, but says its not connected. Is my only choice the serial cable? If it is was it suppose to be included? I bought it from scanner master. Any help would be appreciated. ThanksView attachment 46761

"It has a USB, but says its not connected" from your picture you posted the USB cable in not connected.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The factory supplied cable will work with ARC 536 for programming purposes. You'll need to select "Mass Storage" (just as you do with Sentinel) to get the scanner to where it passes programming data back and forth to the computer.

If you go with the ARC 536 Pro version, which does virtual control and logging, the factory supplied cable work, but is unreliable. For virtual control, the scanner needs to be set in "Serial Port". However, many of us have experienced an issue with the front port switching from "Serial Port" to "Mass Storage" which stops the virtual control data from being passed to the computer.

The fix, for the time being, is to use the old fashioned type of serial cable for virtual control purposes. This cable connects at the rear of the scanner (where a GPS device would be connected) and then on to your computer. (If your computer doesn't have the old time serial port, then a USB to serial adapter is needed along with some other connectors, possibly).

Status
Not open for further replies.