BCD536HP - no USB connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Tried connecting BCD536HP to different USB ports on 3 different PCs running Windows XP and can't get a connection on any of them. Called Uniden and after waiting on hold for 40 minutes they were of no help. Has anyone had a similar experience?

NYPDAUX

You have to make sure the communication, com. Points: match with USB I believe there are 4 communication ports make sure your radio and computer or set to the same port

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you plug the USB cable into the front of the scanner and then into the PC, with power turned on, the scanner should prompt you to select Mass Storage mode or Serial Mode. If you do not get this prompt then one of the following is true:

1) Your PC's USB port(s) are broken.
2) The cable you are using is bad.
3) The scanner is broken.

kb8rvp

A friend of mine and I received our scanners the same day I received a both the 436 and 536HP and mine both connected to my windows 7 laptop and I updated the firmware on both and loaded my programming just fine. He came over the that night with his BCD536HP and it would not connect at all. I tried formatting the SD card with no change. He sent it back to the store for an exchange. Maybe they had a couple of bad ones. It was like the mini-usb port was not connected inside the scanner. When you plugged in the USB cable the scanner just kept scanning never came up with the prompt to select the mass storage mode like both of mine did. Nothine came up in the control panel under hardware device manager to even see what port it found if any.

Mike

Last edited:

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Losing audio after USB download

Love my new BCD536HP. I connected the speaker out to the microphone input on the back of my PC. I hear ground noise when I first touch the USB connector to the scanner and lose audio after disconnecting the USB after a program download. I switch the scanner off and back on and hear ground noise for a second and then it clears up. Neither the unit or the PC are grounded.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine and I received our scanners the same day I received a both the 436 and 536HP and mine both connected to my windows 7 laptop and I updated the firmware on both and loaded my programming just fine. He came over the that night with his BCD536HP and it would not connect at all. I tried formatting the SD card with no change. He sent it back to the store for an exchange. Maybe they had a couple of bad ones. It was like the mini-usb port was not connected inside the scanner. When you plugged in the USB cable the scanner just kept scanning never came up with the prompt to select the mass storage mode like both of mine did. Nothine came up in the control panel under hardware device manager to even see what port it found if any.

Mike

I assume you tried more than one USB cable?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Love my new BCD536HP. I connected the speaker out to the microphone input on the back of my PC. I hear ground noise when I first touch the USB connector to the scanner and lose audio after disconnecting the USB after a program download. I switch the scanner off and back on and hear ground noise for a second and then it clears up. Neither the unit or the PC are grounded.

By "ground noise" do you mean a low frequency "hum"?

markab

Ouch!

Speaker out to microphone in..Ouch! This is not a good idea on several fronts. If you want to connect your 536 to your computer I would suggest using the headphone jack on the 536 and connect it to a line input on your sound card, and keep the volume on the scanner set VERY low. Even this is not a great arrangement as you can easily overload the input, but given that the 536 does not have a line out jack your kind of stuck.

Mark

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help.

I have tried several different USB and audio cables. Switched the scanner line out to the PC's line in and the low frequency hum goes away within a second of connecting the USB cable. The hum is probably 60hz but can't say for sure because the MS20 speakers are probably doubling the bass.

But. When I switch the scanner off with the USB disconnected I get the same hum continuously. When I touch the USB connector to the scanner USB input (not plugged in) the hum goes away. No hum with the USB plugged in.

Also. The hum goes away when I unplug the scanner or turn the scanner back on. As long as the speaker is plugged in but turned off, there is hum.

Same result when connected to the scanner's headphone out although the noise is a broader noise and scratchy.

I do not get the hum when connected to either a Uniden or RS external un-powered speaker.

Same result whether I plug into the wall or though a UPS.

kb8rvp

I assume you tried more than one USB cable?

Yes I tried my cable and his cable and all of my USB ports. Called the store and they suggested formatting the SD card so I did that too but I had to pull the card and put it in my SD slot on my laptop as I cannot connect to the scanner. Put the SD card back in after it was formatted and setup my file and still no connection. It can be programmed by removing the SD card but I don't like the idea of not being able to connect directly to the scanner. The scanner is on the way back to the store for an exchange.

Mike

thomasgs

For the lack of connection problem between the scanner and computer, it appears the USB cable is tricky and the problem. The included cable would not work. A spare cable I had also would not work. Before I concluded the problem was a defective scanner, I tried the USB cable I already had that worked with my Horne Patrol 1, and that worked! No problems since.,

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for the information.
Turns out that the scanner was defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.