BCD536HP Not hearing sound from IP connection on ProScan

va2yml

Hi everyone!
First post here, so let me know if I don't follow the etiquette...
And I'm french speaking... sorry my bad english!

I bought a BCD536HP 3 weeks ago. Very please with this beast! But I have an issue I'm struggling with...
I must say I've made countless of researchs on this (including many advices from this forum). If I missed something obvious, forgive me and let me know...

The problem
I can not hear anything from the scanner through ProScan (registered copy) using the IP link.

The troubleshoot (ProScan)
  • ProScan can control the scanner fine.
  • ProScan can program the favorites list of the scanner (and so does Sentinel)
  • While going to the URL setup menu, I can see the scanner disconnecting every 10 seconds or so. When the scanner reconnect, the TCP computer port and UDP computer port has changed. The "Time elpased" stay at 00:00:00. The Bytes TX is always 491. The Bytes Rx is somewhere around 990. The Packets Loss is always 0.00%.
    • The above situation is present:
      • with firewall ON with no rules added,
      • with firewall ON with rules that allows all UDP and TCP incoming ports open to the ProScan program,
      • and with firewall OFF
  • I never saw any audio modulation on any audiometer of ProScan
  • I've tried the instructions to setup a webserver using ProScan. Everything works fine until the part where I'm supposed to see the audio on bargraph.

The troubleshoot (VLC)
  • The url rtsp://192.168.1.100/au:scanner.au was working fine on VLC for the first week. Then it stop working.
  • After changing the following settings, VLC is now working again
    • Advanced preferences -> Demux -> RTP/RTSP -> Uncheck the box Use RTP over RTSP
    • Advanced preferences -> Demux -> RTP/RTSP -> Check the box Dialect RTSP Kasenna
    • Advanced preferences -> Demux -> RTP/RTSP -> Check the box Dialect RTSP VMServer

The troubleshoot (ffplay)
  • I've never been able to receive anything from the scanner with the url rtsp://192.168.1.100/au:scanner.au
  • I always get an error 400 bad request, no matter the parameters / flags combination I use
The setup for the above tests
  • Those tests has been made on :
    • A laptop running Windows 10
    • A desktop running Linux and Proscan running Wine
    • A Windows 10 VM installed on a Linux server
  • I tried connecting the BCD536HP and the PC's / iPhone a Linksys AC9600 router
  • I tried connecting the BCD536HP and the PC's / iPhone a GL-iNet router
  • I ran the exact same tests on both routers and got the results
  • Other infos
    • I'm aware the RTSP can connect only to one device at the time. I did check to be sure no connection was active before a test.
    • Before each test, the scanner has been power cycle
    • The WiFi dongle of the BCD536HP has been removed and plug back in many times
    • BCD536HP fireware are up-to-date (date of this post)

The troubleshoot (Siren)
  • The Siren App on iOS is working fine. I can control the scanner and get the sound from it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
PS: The FFPLAY part is to be able to stream the audio over LAN using FFMPEG to reencode the stream to UDP. If you know the receipe, let me know!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone!
First post here, so let me know if I don't follow the etiquette...
And I'm french speaking... sorry my bad english!

I bought a BCD536HP 3 weeks ago. Very please with this beast! But I have an issue I'm struggling with...
I must say I've made countless of researchs on this (including many advices from this forum). If I missed something obvious, forgive me and let me know...

The problem
I can not hear anything from the scanner through ProScan (registered copy) using the IP link.

The troubleshoot (ProScan)
  • ProScan can control the scanner fine.
  • ProScan can program the favorites list of the scanner (and so does Sentinel)
  • While going to the URL setup menu, I can see the scanner disconnecting every 10 seconds or so. When the scanner reconnect, the TCP computer port and UDP computer port has changed. The "Time elpased" stay at 00:00:00. The Bytes TX is always 491. The Bytes Rx is somewhere around 990. The Packets Loss is always 0.00%.
    • The above situation is present:
      • with firewall ON with no rules added,
      • with firewall ON with rules that allows all UDP and TCP incoming ports open to the ProScan program,
      • and with firewall OFF
  • I never saw any audio modulation on any audiometer of ProScan
  • I've tried the instructions to setup a webserver using ProScan. Everything works fine until the part where I'm supposed to see the audio on bargraph.

The troubleshoot (VLC)
  • The url rtsp://192.168.1.100/au:scanner.au was working fine on VLC for the first week. Then it stop working.
  • After changing the following settings, VLC is now working again
    • Advanced preferences -> Demux -> RTP/RTSP -> Uncheck the box Use RTP over RTSP
    • Advanced preferences -> Demux -> RTP/RTSP -> Check the box Dialect RTSP Kasenna
    • Advanced preferences -> Demux -> RTP/RTSP -> Check the box Dialect RTSP VMServer

The troubleshoot (ffplay)
  • I've never been able to receive anything from the scanner with the url rtsp://192.168.1.100/au:scanner.au
  • I always get an error 400 bad request, no matter the parameters / flags combination I use
The setup for the above tests
  • Those tests has been made on :
    • A laptop running Windows 10
    • A desktop running Linux and Proscan running Wine
    • A Windows 10 VM installed on a Linux server
  • I tried connecting the BCD536HP and the PC's / iPhone a Linksys AC9600 router
  • I tried connecting the BCD536HP and the PC's / iPhone a GL-iNet router
  • I ran the exact same tests on both routers and got the results
  • Other infos
    • I'm aware the RTSP can connect only to one device at the time. I did check to be sure no connection was active before a test.
    • Before each test, the scanner has been power cycle
    • The WiFi dongle of the BCD536HP has been removed and plug back in many times
    • BCD536HP fireware are up-to-date (date of this post)

The troubleshoot (Siren)
  • The Siren App on iOS is working fine. I can control the scanner and get the sound from it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
PS: The FFPLAY part is to be able to stream the audio over LAN using FFMPEG to reencode the stream to UDP. If you know the receipe, let me know!
Thanks for the good info.
VLC is able to connect to the scanner audio but ProScan can't. Is that correct?
I'm not sure why it's disconnecting every 10 seconds. Perhaps double and triple check all the internet security/antivirus software running and temporarily disable them for a test. Also, ensure AVG antivirus software is not running as that will interrupt the TCP packets.

va2yml

You are absolutly correct. The audio is going to VLC and the Siren App, but not to ProScan.

More info about the setup
  • Laptop Windows 10 : Antivirus is CrowdStrike. I can not disable it (corporate laptop). I can write Firewall rule and turn off firewall (which I did)
  • ProScan running on Linux through Wine : no firewall, no anti-virus
  • ProScan running on a Windows 10 VM : no fiorewall, no antivirus (for testing purpose)
When I'll get some time, I will try to wireshark this to see if I can see something on the trafic...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Also double and trip[le check that the IP address is entered correctly in the URL Setup window.

va2yml

Yep, the URL is ok. I copy-paste the same url in VLC and it works.

I made a PCAP of the communication between the BCD536HP and ProScan. The BCD536HP is at 192.168.1.101 for this test.
I can see from time to time a reset command going on (TCP). Is this normal?
Otherwise, every other traffic seems normal to me (I can read the scanner info on the packets)

Attachments

• BCD536HP Packets session.zip
    642.3 KB · Views: 4

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I can see from time to time a reset command going on (TCP). Is this normal?
It doesn't appear to be normal. I'm guessing that something is breaking the TCP connection. I've only seen this type of problem 3 times in all the years that the rtsp has been implemented. Case #1: The user never got back with me so the reason is unknown. Case #2: The antivirus software was the reason. Case #3: The IP address was incorrect.

I can't explain why VLC works and ProScan doesn't. One possibility is that VLC is "well known" versus ProScan and the internet security software is allowing it.
I don't know what I could do with ProScan at this point. If something needs to be done, then at least, I want to get the next version out and possibly the version after that out before I can look at this.

{edit} I think something on the network is blocking or breaking the TCP connection since you tried it on two Windows machines and the same thing is happening. I don't think it's the scanner or dongle since the data side is working. Perhaps put the scanner Wi-Fi mode in Access Point and see if that works.

Last edited:

va2yml

Ok, here what I've found so far

AccessPoint mode was connecting to the scanner with ProScan (remote control) working fine, but still no audio (same behavior as previous test).
Did a wireshark and found the same result as previous test (reset command send from time to time). No firewall involved.

I try something else : running ProScan in a 100% Linux environnement (with WineHQ, i386 32-bits compatibility mode). No firewall.
This time it was a success: remote control and sound was working great.

I'll continue to dig on this isue. I think something in Windows 10 is messing up the TCP connection...
I must stop my research for now, but my next try will running ProScan in a compatibility mode (such as Windows 7)....

va2yml

So... Compatibility mode did nothing.
Still trying to found what in Windows is messing with the TCP connection...
Again : No firewall active, no antivirus installed on this machine (setup with a brand new Windows installation for this purpose) and Windows Security inactive.

Also : the "Autodetect IP Scanner" is not working. Same TCP connection involved? On my Linux installation (the one with audio working), the autodetect function works fine.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I ran into this just a little while ago. I couldn't get ProScan in one of my test folders to connect to the scanner RTSP. ProScan in another folder was able to connect to the scanner RTSP.

What I did to get it to work:
1. Went into the Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps
2. Clicked the Allow another app... button. I got a message 'ProScan is already in the list of exemptions'.
3. Selected ProScan in the list then clicked the Remove button.
4. Restarted ProScan then a message popped up 'Do you want to allow...ProScan. I clicked the Allow button and presto, the audio connected right away.

Untitled.png

va2yml

I tried it tonight. No luck (but was a good guest!)

I see a svchost process seems to use port 554... Difficult to hunt down what it is....

Again : ProScan is now working perfectly on Linux (using Wine).... So some service must be in the way to the TCP connection...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I see a svchost process seems to use port 554... Difficult to hunt down what it is....
I think that's ok because computer port #554 is different then scanner port #554.

{edit} Also, like I said before, double and triple check all firewalls, antivirus, & internet security software. I'm saying it because of my experiences. I've seen after the 10th time checking "I forgot about that" or "I didn't know such and such was running".

Last edited:

va2yml

I made a last attemp tonight...

Brand new Windows installation. No anti-virus added. Only ProScan installed. Firewall set to off. -> Same result.
Connected the PC and the scanner on a different router. Same result.

Because it's working fine on Linux using Wine, I will continue to look at some servioce the take over the TCP connection...

I did installed VLC after my ProScan test and it was working.

I'm sure it's not ProScan fault, but somehow Windows.... or something in the middle that send RST command over the TCP session....