BCD536HP: Nothing to Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

I have the 436 handheld; even if I have a system # on and it shows on the display; if I go to Review/Edit System on the 436, then push enter, scroll to your system # press enter, there is a menu for Edit Sys Option. Push enter for Edit Sys Option and where it says Set Avoid, make sure that menu is set to stop avoiding. If I have the system # on and that Set Avoid menu is set to Temporary or Permanent Avoid for that system #, even though showing on the display, that system # will not scan.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096
I am not avoiding anything. To be safe, I went through each system and selected 'STOP AVOIDING.' The issue persists.

ASAD

If you have location control turned on, you have to populate the location coordinates and service radius for every site and department, or they will not be scanned.
I have already tried location settings. I manually put in my GPS coordinates. With location control ON, it's not even scanning the one system it does with location control switched OFF. Now it's OFF. It scans one system, others are not scanned, which is the problem I am seeking help for.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have already tried location settings. I manually put in my GPS coordinates. With location control ON, it's not even scanning the one system it does with location control switched OFF. Now it's OFF. It scans one system, others are not scanned, which is the problem I am seeking help for.
Putting in your location settings is only half of the equation. You also have to input the location for EVERY SITE AND DEPARTMENT.

Search the wiki here, there a couple of articles with checklists to solve the NOTHING TO SCAN error. You'll find your answer there.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
...snip...
Should I call Uniden?
I would say no. Much information has been exchanged back and forth and still some fundamental information is missing. I think the best next step is to simplify your one Favorites List.

Your sentinel post pictures just came up so that is a great starting point for the following.

As you already know Quick Key / Number Tag allows turning on and off items to scan and can be very confusing without a clear understanding of the hierarchy of usage and how you have numbered them.

Favorites List
--System Name
----Department/Site Name
------Channel Name

In the list above from System down I recommend changing Quick Key / Number Tag to "none". That does not mean they will not be scanned, but that you can't turn them on or off as they will be scanned if the Favorites List is on. My point is to simplify the programing so that everything that is in the list is scanned if the Favorites List is on. That way you will have a better understand of activity on the various items in your list. Then you can incrementally add Quick Key numbers to see how they work and then add more as needed.

I really hope the above helps. I really never found using QK / NT below Favorites List to be that helpful to how I scan.

Good Luck!

Mike

Ubbe

Could it be so simple that the scanner are actually scanning the systems but they are so small that they don't even have time to be displayed on the scanner? You seem to have made all the programming correctly.

If you do not receive any datasignal from a trunked system it will just flash by and not use the hold time you have set. Conventional systems are scanned in just a couple of hundred milli seconds and the display have a much slower refresh rate than that.

If you set the squelch to 0 it will scan trunked systems much slower and will show on the display. Conventional analog systems without any subtones used will stop the scan. When you see that a department are scanned then go into the menu and do a temporary avoid to that department and continue to scan with the squelch set to 0. It will show if it really scans your systems or not.

/Ubbe

ASAD

Could it be so simple that the scanner are actually scanning the systems but they are so small that they don't even have time to be displayed on the scanner? You seem to have made all the programming correctly.

If you do not receive any datasignal from a trunked system it will just flash by and not use the hold time you have set. Conventional systems are scanned in just a couple of hundred milli seconds and the display have a much slower refresh rate than that.

If you set the squelch to 0 it will scan trunked systems much slower and will show on the display. Conventional analog systems without any subtones used will stop the scan. When you see that a department are scanned then go into the menu and do a temporary avoid to that department and continue to scan with the squelch set to 0. It will show if it really scans your systems or not.

/Ubbe
The scanner started to scan system 1 in addition to system 0. But if I disable 0 and 1 by pressing .0 and .1, the scanner again displays the message 'Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan.' Something is outsmarting us.

ASAD

Problem resolved!!! I saw a YT video. It was 4 minutes. It helped. The problem was with departments. I had to toggle those ON and now the scanner is scanning all systems and departments.

Ubbe

Problem resolved!!! I saw a YT video. It was 4 minutes. It helped. The problem was with departments. I had to toggle those ON and now the scanner is scanning all systems and departments.
If you only changed that on the scanner, then read the scanner from Sentinel and save. Look thru all departments and systems.

Remember that the quick keys are using 3 levels. The first digits are the favorite list and after the first dot are the system numbers and after the second dot are the departments. If you did .1 you where switching system 1 on and off, not a department.

You didn't had to go to another resource than RR to get help ;-)

Then back out of the menu a couple of times untill you see Edit Department and select your different departments.There you set a Quick Key if you wish but also check that the Avoid are stopped for each department.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.