BCD536HP or SDS200 What to buy, what to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have no issues with P25 & I haven't noticed any glitches in my display. If there was no DMR here; I'd be perfectly happy with mine.
Whatever DMR, NXDN etc that is locally here is not really anything interesting to listen to. We have mostly P25 and conventional. Really a LOT of conventional to hear. But I use a BCT15X for all the conventional monitoring. I hear many good things about the sds200, mostly how it is immune from simulcast distortion like the 996p2 is know for. I plan on getting one maybe in a couple months.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Coming from the 996P2 will require a learning curve as I'm sure you're aware. I'm not sure waiting for some "perfect batch" will ever happen, but you don't read about all the happy SDS200 owners, myself included x2. Simulcast distortion issues will be non-existent and you'll look back and wonder why you waited so long. Display and hum issues aren't as prevalent as one might think.

Being a potential new owner, I'd suggest downloading Sentinel and mess around. That causes more headache to many here who've never tried using the program. Other options are available, but Sentinel will be needed for any firmware updates. Good luck on your decision.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Coming from the 996P2 will require a learning curve as I'm sure you're aware. I'm not sure waiting for some "perfect batch" will ever happen, but you don't read about all the happy SDS200 owners, myself included x2. Simulcast distortion issues will be non-existent and you'll look back and wonder why you waited so long. Display and hum issues aren't as prevalent as one might think.

Being a potential new owner, I'd suggest downloading Sentinel and mess around. That causes more headache to many here who've never tried using the program. Other options are available, but Sentinel will be needed for any firmware updates. Good luck on your decision.
I have downloaded Sentinel and at first I couldnt figure it out. But I watched a video showing how to append items to include in favorites list and then got the hang of it. I already set up my 6 systems all ready to export to radio. Yeah the simulcast distortion here is up and down. Some days it isnt too bad and the past 2 days have been lousy! It seems to be the same couple of PD and FD channels that suffer. It just takes longer to set up lists in Sentinel compared to freescan. But I will be looking forward to getting this radio. I was just concerned about that damn HUM! I am a musician so a hum is going to be more audible to me! Plus I didnt want to tear radio apart and do one of those home brew fixes. I guess I could always send it back which leads me to my next thought. Who do I buy from? I am kinda thinking about Scanner Master. Their website says the radios are in stock. I am kind of suspicious of Amazon though. I'd rather spend the regular price and deal with a reputable dealer. My birthday is in about 3 weeks.......so time is getting nearer.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have downloaded Sentinel and at first I couldnt figure it out. But I watched a video showing how to append items to include in favorites list and then got the hang of it. I already set up my 6 systems all ready to export to radio. Yeah the simulcast distortion here is up and down. Some days it isnt too bad and the past 2 days have been lousy! It seems to be the same couple of PD and FD channels that suffer. It just takes longer to set up lists in Sentinel compared to freescan. But I will be looking forward to getting this radio. I was just concerned about that damn HUM! I am a musician so a hum is going to be more audible to me! Plus I didnt want to tear radio apart and do one of those home brew fixes. I guess I could always send it back which leads me to my next thought. Who do I buy from? I am kinda thinking about Scanner Master. Their website says the radios are in stock. I am kind of suspicious of Amazon though. I'd rather spend the regular price and deal with a reputable dealer. My birthday is in about 3 weeks.......so time is getting nearer.

Sentinel can be intimidating at first, but you will get the hang of it. I manually set up my systems and use the database as my guide, but don't normally apend directly from the database. The advantage is the updates are usually done every Monday, but if their is a database addition or modification on Tuesday, I can add it immediately instead of waiting. I also prefer text tagging my talkgroups my way, which is usually from information heard. I'm comfortable navigating around Sentinel without direct database entries.

You mention the "hum" and I would suggest if it's bothersome when you start it up, send it back. Scanner Master, Bearcat Warehouse are both reputable dealers who I've dealt with in the past so you won't go wrong. They are both aware of the "hum" and I'm sure so you wouldn't be talking a foreign language if you returned for an exchange. Double check the return policies of anyone you order from, and hope you'll pull the trigger sooner than later.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel can be intimidating at first, but you will get the hang of it. I manually set up my systems and use the database as my guide, but don't normally apend directly from the database. The advantage is the updates are usually done every Monday, but if their is a database addition or modification on Tuesday, I can add it immediately instead of waiting. I also prefer text tagging my talkgroups my way, which is usually from information heard. I'm comfortable navigating around Sentinel without direct database entries.

You mention the "hum" and I would suggest if it's bothersome when you start it up, send it back. Scanner Master, Bearcat Warehouse are both reputable dealers who I've dealt with in the past so you won't go wrong. They are both aware of the "hum" and I'm sure so you wouldn't be talking a foreign language if you returned for an exchange. Double check the return policies of anyone you order from, and hope you'll pull the trigger sooner than later.
I was able to set up a favorites list with 6 separate systems that I have been listening to on my BCD996P2. I am pretty positive I set Sentinel up the way I want.....quick keys, etc. So all thats left is to GET THE RADIO and program it. I don't plan on adding any conventional systems to the SDS200. And the amount of data I have is not really that much. I dont bother quick keying individual talk groups or anything like that. I just want to have each of my 6 systems in their own "bank" or "quick key". Rhode Island is small so there isn't a ton of stuff to monitor strictly all on P25. A lot of the Police depts are encrypted. And there are still many conventional freqs to listen to. I still haven't gotten down how to update the Sentinel database from RR and from what I read on the forums, Uniden isn't rushing to update and it's all related to reduced staff due to covid virus.
I tried to use Proscan which I have a paid version, but it seems more complicated than Sentinel. At least in Sentinel I was able to create my favorites and everything appears to be ready to upload to scanner when I get it. But in Proscan I couldnt figure out how to add another system and keep them separated from each other.
Scanner Master has the SDS200 in stock now. I think I will buy from them cause I have dealt with them before.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I was able to set up a favorites list with 6 separate systems that I have been listening to on my BCD996P2. I am pretty positive I set Sentinel up the way I want.....quick keys, etc. So all thats left is to GET THE RADIO and program it. I don't plan on adding any conventional systems to the SDS200. And the amount of data I have is not really that much. I dont bother quick keying individual talk groups or anything like that. I just want to have each of my 6 systems in their own "bank" or "quick key". Rhode Island is small so there isn't a ton of stuff to monitor strictly all on P25. A lot of the Police depts are encrypted. And there are still many conventional freqs to listen to. I still haven't gotten down how to update the Sentinel database from RR and from what I read on the forums, Uniden isn't rushing to update and it's all related to reduced staff due to covid virus.
I tried to use Proscan which I have a paid version, but it seems more complicated than Sentinel. At least in Sentinel I was able to create my favorites and everything appears to be ready to upload to scanner when I get it. But in Proscan I couldnt figure out how to add another system and keep them separated from each other.
Scanner Master has the SDS200 in stock now. I think I will buy from them cause I have dealt with them before.

It's good to read that you're doing the homework before you get the scanner. Learning about Sentinel or ProScan ahead of time will make it a more pleasurable experience.

Since you're navigating through Sentinel and have the time before the scanner's arrival, open up the database for your state and look at the programming. You can compare if you're missing anything or would like to change something.

Under Edit...Edit Profile...confirm the service types of what you're planning to listen to is checked. I check them all since I don't use location control. Also under Edit Profile, all scan selections should be set to Monitor ON and Download ON or it won't be uploaded to the scanner. In addition you can set it up to only turn on certain quick keys on start up. This can also be changed and your last entry when you power off will be the copied.

Many more things you'll pick up along the way too...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
in Proscan I couldnt figure out how to add another system and keep them separated from each other.
Hit the Add System button. Mouse right click will also work.
What's more complicated in ProScan versus Sentinel?

Last edited:

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Recently in my Simulcast area tried the BCD536hp - not that good. But love both of my SDS-200 units now in Simulcast - take the plunge you will be happy once you get it !!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It's good to read that you're doing the homework before you get the scanner. Learning about Sentinel or ProScan ahead of time will make it a more pleasurable experience.

Since you're navigating through Sentinel and have the time before the scanner's arrival, open up the database for your state and look at the programming. You can compare if you're missing anything or would like to change something.

Under Edit...Edit Profile...confirm the service types of what you're planning to listen to is checked. I check them all since I don't use location control. Also under Edit Profile, all scan selections should be set to Monitor ON and Download ON or it won't be uploaded to the scanner. In addition you can set it up to only turn on certain quick keys on start up. This can also be changed and your last entry when you power off will be the copied.

Many more things you'll pick up along the way too...
Yes I double checked all my entries and the favorites list is ready to go to scanner. I did check Monitor on and Download on too. I am all set with the quick keys for start up, I normally just set my systems on their own quick key and leave them alone and just let radio scan. I will be able to go further once I get the radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Enable Location Control in favorite lists, or the scanner will scan everything, even if it's on the other end of the state. This is mandatory if you add large statewide systems; with MPSCS or WV-SIRN or VA-STARS you'll spend more than 90% of the time scanning stuff too far away to hear.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Enable Location Control in favorite lists, or the scanner will scan everything, even if it's on the other end of the state. This is mandatory if you add large statewide systems; with MPSCS or WV-SIRN or VA-STARS you'll spend more than 90% of the time scanning stuff too far away to hear.

The other option depending if it will be stationary, is eliminate the sites that you can't monitor from your location via Sentinel..Save and Write to Scanner. You can monitor more than one site per system and I would start by eliminating sites not in your county or adjoining counties.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The other option depending if it will be stationary, is eliminate the sites that you can't monitor from your location via Sentinel..Save and Write to Scanner. You can monitor more than one site per system and I would start by eliminating sites not in your county or adjoining counties.
That's a lot more work, and screws you over if you ever travel with the scanner. It's not worth the hassle IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.