BCD536HP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA1LMC

I spend the last few hours yesterday trying to figure out how to program his new 536HP scanner. While the receiver audio was outstanding, the manuals need to be an aid to unraveling the confusion and not contributing to the confusion. , Nothing works the same as on previous models suck as QUICK KEYS. The addition to FAVORITES is another point of confusion. Now, I built his scanner via RADIO REFERENCE and while they show up on the screen under SO display, there is no way to lock out a system via the keyboard.
Now I know you boot the scanner as a mass storage device (thats new). From there you can upload (not to the scanner but to the micro sd card. But once uploaded, why is the scanner designed to reboot once the upload is complete or open a dialog box asking if you want to reboot the scanner?

I am considering buying one in a few weeks but I amy stick with my 996XT since it is a logically designed scanner. Butel has not been effective at simplifying the programming process.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well let's lay some of the blame where it needs to be laid. One component is radio systems have become extremely complex, bearing in mind that scanners have to be designed around the most complex of statewide systems. There is no way your 996XT could handle a statewide system such as Indiana, Ohio or Minnesota to name a few.

The next component is us as scanner users. We want more and more features in our scanners. So that adds to the complication level.

I've been in the hobby long enough to know what is was like having only crystal type scanners, all 8 channels of them. That was very simple then: volume control, squelch, hold/scan and slide switch to turn a channel off. None of that simulcast, digital, talkgroup, NXDN stuff to confuse me.

With respect to your predicament: You probably know more about operating your 536 than you realize. So much of the basics of the 996XT are expanded in the 536. The 996 has "containers" of "things". There were groups of channels (now called Departments) that were in a bigger container called systems. The 536 has a new, larger container called "Favorites Lists" which holds systems and systems hold departments/groups and departments/groups hold channels.

It's a learning curve you are facing - again you are farther along since you are used to the 996 as compared to the guy who goes from that crystal scanner to the 536.

On the reboot, I suspect if you see that, you may not have removed the USB cable to your scanner. Unplug it and you won't get the Mass Storage question.

And as like Buddrosa says, Youtube is a great resource.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I spend the last few hours yesterday trying to figure out how to program his new 536HP scanner. While the receiver audio was outstanding, the manuals need to be an aid to unraveling the confusion and not contributing to the confusion.

Try these manuals:

for the scanner.... Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

for the Sentinel programming software...... BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

Nothing works the same as on previous models

Yes, the new SD card type scanners are an entirely new concept in scanning. Think about your BCD996XT... very little about that scanner works like the previous scanners that pre-dated the new Uniden DMA technology.

The addition to FAVORITES is another point of confusion.

You will quickly find that favorites lists are one of the most convienent and powerful features of the SD card scanners

Now I know you boot the scanner as a mass storage device (thats new). From there you can upload (not to the scanner but to the micro sd card. But once uploaded, why is the scanner designed to reboot once the upload is complete or open a dialog box asking if you want to reboot the scanner?

Because once you write changes to the SD card, the scanner needs to reboot and read those changes from the card into the scanner's internal working memory.

I am considering buying one in a few weeks but I amy stick with my 996XT since it is a logically designed scanner. Butel has not been effective at simplifying the programming process.

Your BCD996XT seems logical to you now because you're used to that scanner and how it's programmed. A great deal of folks coming from older scanners think the BCD996XT is an illogical nightmare to program until they get used to it. Are you using the Sentinel programming software? The detailed manual for Sentinel is linked above. Be sure you use Sentinel to update the scanner's firmware and database as your first steps before programming.

As buddrousa mentioned above, there are many youtube videos that will help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.