BCD536HP released to soon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I've been comparing the 536HP to the PSR-800 and I noticed that the 536HP searches and scans slower. At first I thought this was the cause of missed conversations on the 536HP. Then held both scanners on the same channel and confirmed that there is a delay with the 536HP. Another issues is, why would Uniden release the 536HP without the Analyze mode available? It's been on the HP-1 ever since the Extreme version was released. There was no pressure from GRE/Whistler so what was the rush? No Analyze mode, no Siren App, No per channel record and audio is worse than the 996XT. I hope I have better luck with my 436HP when it arrives later this week. I'll be sending back the 536HP with 15% restocking fee or just sell it.

Boatanchor

Yes, one wonders what the rush was..

I suspect the intent was to beat the main competitor to market, but it now appears that Uniden could still have achieved this goal if they had spent more time fine tuning the hardware and software and delayed the release of the x36HP's until mid 2014 at least. All they had to do was keep dropping a few new product teasers here and there to keep people interested.

Now, it seems they have rushed the units to market half finished and face the prospect of a possible product recall and worse still, a dented reputation that will inevitably impact on future sales.

All this of course plays into the hands of Uniden's competitor/s, who will be watching and learning valuable lessons from this slow motion train wreck.. It's almost a lesson in how not to do a product launch...

mrkelso

And God forbid they should announce an extreme upgrade down the road to fix all these things and charge for it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I've been comparing the 536HP to the PSR-800 and I noticed that the 536HP searches and scans slower. At first I thought this was the cause of missed conversations on the 536HP. Then held both scanners on the same channel and confirmed that there is a delay with the 536HP. Another issues is, why would Uniden release the 536HP without the Analyze mode available? It's been on the HP-1 ever since the Extreme version was released. There was no pressure from GRE/Whistler so what was the rush? No Analyze mode, no Siren App, No per channel record and audio is worse than the 996XT. I hope I have better luck with my 436HP when it arrives later this week. I'll be sending back the 536HP with 15% restocking fee or just sell it.

Don't expect the 436 to be any better. The screen and audio are terrible. There is a loud and very annoying squelch tail after every transmission. The radio itself has a cheap plastic feel to it. And, as usual, the manual is poorly translated and very confusing. I have had the 436 for less than three days and will probably be selling it as well.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
When I said this just after the 536 was released to the DB admin(s) and site owners I was talked to like I was an ***.....

They pushed this out to be ahead of their "competition"? Who is that again? Themselves?

It seems then and NOW it was only about MONEY! But hey, what do I know? I am just sitting here reading EVERY single post about both scanners and there are MORE negative then positive comments on both units. For those who do not believe me feel free to start a POLL not TRY and correct me!

Wait until the firmware comes out and we shall see what is what. Glad they are bringing the HP-1 owners a new firmware also....but who knows if they tested either since we are all up their *** to release them...lol

Still think phase 2 could have been done on the HP-1 units with software. Look at the PSR-800, they did it WITHOUT hardware needed to do it!

Well, off the soapbox as I do not want to be the reason the Uniden Police close yet another thread with GOOD information for those who HAVE NOT spent good money on the NOT so ready scanners.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
And God forbid they should announce an extreme upgrade down the road to fix all these things and charge for it.

If it's anything like the BCDx36XT series, they never charged for the UID addition, Simulcast improvements or for the UASD software. The bug fixes and firmware improvements were free.

Other than the missing Analyze features, it's has the HP-1 Extreme features already. No discussion of any upgrade cost has been mentioned. When the Siren app is functional for public beta UPMan has stated it will be available for public testing.

mancow

Database Admin
Don't expect the 436 to be any better. The screen and audio are terrible. There is a loud and very annoying squelch tail after every transmission. The radio itself has a cheap plastic feel to it. And, as usual, the manual is poorly translated and very confusing. I have had the 436 for less than three days and will probably be selling it as well.

Hmm I respectfully disagree. I love the screen. I can see all pertinent information at a glance. The lowest brightness setting is perfect when I'm at work. It matches the low level of the rest of the interior and doesn't become a blinding bright spot in the car. I have zero squelch tail issues (then again I'm monitoring P25 trunking so maybe I just haven't encountered this yet). The radio seems nice and solid to me. It's must more solid than the GRE PSR500 for sure. The audio is excellent. It's nicely balanced with rich low tones. It's very similar to what my XTS2500 sounds like. If it had the simulcast reception ability of the XTS it would be perfect.

I wish I had the money because I would take yours off your hands.

kd7eir

I, too, am perfectly pleased with my 436.

The audio is far better than any other scanner I've owned. While the P25 Phase 2 TDMA is no match for my APX 6000XE, considering the price difference I feel it does a great job.

I find the display to be bright, crisp, and easily delivers all the pertinent information at a glance.

I would not classify it as having a cheap plastic feel to it, but if that is one's impression, you can pick up an APX 6000XE for about $4000 to rid yourself of that cheap, plastic feel.

Randdon

Got my 536 last week, set it up in the hotel room I was staying in, and in 3 or 4 minutes I was scanning. Very clear audio, scanning seems a bit slow but there is another post here talking to the was the scanner is scanning groups. Otherwise, besides the update I installed the very next night at home, and was surprised there was an update, I am happy with the 536's performance.

I am sure the software/firmware is probably not completed to make avail of all functions and features, so I am looking forward for future updates. Maybe some of the features the OP was searching for will be in one of the next updates.

usia

Premium Subscriber
BCD 536 / Outstanding

I have not received my 436 yet, should tomorrow and cant wait. I have had my 536 for about a week now.
I can say it's the finest scanner I have owned to date. Programming with the installed USA database is very simple. After a bit of reading, and trial and error I was able to successfully program the favorites, systems, and departments, with quick keys for each. The larger screen is the nicest I have seen on any scanner. The audio speaker is loud, crisp, and clear. If the Favorites, Systems, Dept, Sites, and location data is programmed correctly the scanner will scan at very exceptionable speeds. All-in-All I am very impressed with the 536. Great work Uniden!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.