BCD536HP SCANNER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I picked up a 436 two days ago, but to be honest haven't had the time to really put it thru it's paces yet. Initial thoughts: very confusing to use at times when you are accustomed to previous generation scanners. P25 audio is very good, although the max volume isn't nearly loud enough compared to my Pro-106.

I'm not sure I'm sold on this whole database thing as I have a lot of questions as to how it all comes together. I hope to spend some time with it over the long weekend and get a better feel for it.

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber
Hey forts,

I seconded your opinion.
I have had my 436 for a week now and it's a cool radio.
But very confusing at times.
I too haven't had much time to figure it out. But hope to mess around with it over the long weekend.
I'm curious to see how the new whistler radios perform.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hopefully they will actually have some 'new' technology to roll out, but I expect at first it will just be rebranded GRE stuff. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing... I use a Pro-106 and Pro-197 every day and they both perform like champs.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The 436/536 takes some getting used to. Very confusing to use and a steep learning curve despite them supposedly being simple to use.

I suspect that advanced users will be the ones having the most trouble with them.

I do like the fact that wherever I travel I've got the latest database ready to go. Audio on the TDMA channels is good. The micro-sd card makes updating my mobile easy. Just bring the card in on Monday nights, update the database and stick it back in Tuesday morning.

I just wish there was an easy way to update favourites lists.

Hopefully they add in the Discovery and Analyze options soon.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I got the 436 a few weeks ago and the Butel software makes programming the scanner a breeze. It was confusing until I downloaded it and used it.

If you are familiar with the older Freescan software, it is very similar.

regards,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.