BCD536HP SD Card Replace

GargoylesRus

Hi All,

I am about to use the SD Card Formatter for my new Samsung 32gb card and would like to know if I just use the (Quick Format) or the (Overwrite Format)?

I have read through the instructions that came with the formatter and it recognizes the drive in the adapter in my old HP laptop pc.

If one of you fine folk would find fit to guide me to the correct reading or lend me some advice it would be surely appreciated.

All that came up in the suggestions was about the "436".

Thanks again,
Gar

GargoylesRus

I will add, In the (Volume label) slot I added "Uniden BCD536HP Scanner". Is that ok? or should I leave it empty?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I will add, In the (Volume label) slot I added "Uniden BCD536HP Scanner". Is that ok? or should I leave it empty?
You can label it to what works for you...
I use the full format... That verifys the full card...
If you do that in the scanner it will take longer than using an external card reader... The scanner is only USB 2.0 capable...

GargoylesRus

Thanks for the reply RandyKuff,

I am so green at this that it isn't funny, by "full format" you mean to select the "Overwrite format" button?

My PC that I am using is very old, it is a HP Pavilion g7, not equipped for Win 11 so I am running Win 10 the latest and greatest updates.

Gar

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can label it to what works for you...
I use the full format... That verifys the full card...
If you do that in the scanner it will take longer than using an external card reader... The scanner is only USB 2.0 capable...
I'm with you on this.

I've seen instances where either the SD card formatter program could not do a 'quick format', or a card where I used 'quick' format did not function correctly.

In these instances, I had to intead use the 'overwrite' full format & it then worked. It does take longer than the quick selection, but is pretty much sure to work on anything but a truly defective card (as opposed to one that just had some corrupted files).

Now, I just use full from the get go,

I've also used the 'format card' option in one of my digital cameras. In effect, for the camera I use, that is an equivalent to the full/overwrite option in the SD card program.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Quick Format doesn't really delete files (not a secure delete). It just makes the card appear to be empty and allows anything on the memory card to be overwritten. Also when you do a Quick Format it does not check the memory card for any defects.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Quick Format doesn't really delete files (not a secure delete). It just makes the card appear to be empty and allows anything on the memory card to be overwritten. Also when you do a Quick Format it does not check the memory card for any defects.
Yep... Quick format only clears the "File Allocation Table"...

GargoylesRus

It was done flawlessly!

Now, I'm going to take the drive from the scanner and copy it to a folder on my pc, the copy it to the new drive. Sound good?

Thanks to all of you.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Yep... Just copy the BCDx36HP folder from the old card to your new card and should be good to go...

Provided there is no issues with the old card...

GargoylesRus

This brings me to a little off topic, but I was wondering every time I do an update, the monthly ones, should I "read from scanner" before I do the update?

Is that necessary every time? To save my changes?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I think you mean write to the scanner... Database updates are every week on Monday...
Are you using the database for scanning? using the zip code function?
Or are you using favorite lists...

You can update Sentinel weekly if you so desire...
But writing it to the scanner isn't necessary unless your using the database in the scanner...

GargoylesRus

No I mean "Read from scanner". Before I do the Database update.

I am assuming that the "read" would put my changes, fav list, ignores, etc. into the Sentinel for the next "write to scanner".

Yes I use the zip code function, and I believe I have put in the correct distance too. 30 I entered and 10 that is existent, that gives me a total of 40 mile radius, if and I say if I am understanding.

No I am not currently on a "favorite list". But I have created a couple and saved them in the Sentinel.

Thanks
Gar

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Don't need to do that... You can just update the database on the scanner from Sentinel... No need to read anything back unless you have been changing stuff in the scanners menu... Then yes...

GargoylesRus

What I change sometimes is "Add" to a favorite list or an "Permanent Ignore" on channels that have what I call "noise".

Is it not necessary to "read" from the scanner to preserve those changes?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Yes you do... If your making changes on the scanner itself... Those changes are not in Sentinel till you read the scanner back into Sentinel...

If no changes... You can just do the database write...

GargoylesRus

Got it!

Thanks for your help!

The scanner is up and running and I had hoped it would be. :) "old fashioned" lol

Now, I have several other million things to figure out.

Just for my info, if I have more questions about this beast I'm assuming that I have to start new threads?

What gets me is where in the **** to put them, Wow, this place is vast!

Thanks for all your help and patients RandyKuff.

Gar

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If fav lists are not your thing yet... Take your time... You will figure it out...

Tech support for your 536... Your in the right forum... But different questions,,, Just start a new thread here...

GargoylesRus

I'm workin on it. I had a Uniden scanner years ago, nothing like these. Put in the ***.**** and you may hear something. Now, as near as I can tell, there are many ***.**** in trunks as in elephant. Whewwww!