BCD536HP Simulcast "Squelch Tail"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WISCOMM

Having a heck of a time with my new 536HP, on the two main Analog Simulcast trunk systems I monitor there is a terrible "squelch tail" (if I'm not dating myself). The duration is .5 to 1.5 seconds.

Adjusting the squelch knob has no effect.
Reset to factory default.
Reloaded database.
Both systems have a very good signal.
Does not replicate on P25 or EDACS systems or Conventional Frequency.

Makes listening unbearable.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Craig

W2SJW

Database Admin
I have the same issue a bit on my 436 with the NJSP on analog talkgroups, but not digital. End code is set properly, squelch is at 3 (changing it makes no difference).

Hopefully a firmware update can fix this...

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I also have it on my 536 and my HP1 at very random times. Sometimes cycling the power and / or reloading the data base makes it go away. It's really baffling because you never know when to expect it and it's VERY loud.

It has done it in both full database and FL modes. I have no clue what causes this.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Just got my 436 today and it does it too. Then it randomly stopped doing it but I have no idea why. Hmmmm...

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Does it only happen on certain frequencies? You may not be able to tell unless you run it side by side with another radio that displays voice frequencies.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Does it only happen on certain frequencies? You may not be able to tell unless you run it side by side with another radio that displays voice frequencies.

Happens on different freqs and only on analog trunking. It does not happen with digital trunking or conventional fm.

Farscan

Premium Subscriber
On the video the carrier signal was still present when the squelch tail was on , so it seems like the system you are monitoring has a loose squelch on some channels. Not your scanners fault.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
On the video the carrier signal was still present when the squelch tail was on , so it seems like the system you are monitoring has a loose squelch on some channels. Not your scanners fault.

I've had the issue on three different Analog trunked systems on both my x36's and my HP1. Further, I have put my HP1 and x36's side by side with my XT's and PSR's. The XT's and PSR's do not suffer from this issue at all, not even once. It has something to do with the newer scanners.

guyiv

Feed Provider
I have found that setting the End Code to "Ignore" minimizes the squelch tail the most. It doesn't get rid of it but does minimize it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Having the squelch tail issues on my new BCD436HP as well. Never saw this on any of my Ts, Xs, or XTs.

Seting end code does not help, however a power down then up clears it.

Only having these issues on analog trunked systems.

Boatanchor

Or, what could be happening is that the Uniden's squelch is tied to, or controlled at least in part by the scanners RSSI circuit. The same RSSI that controls the signal strength meter on the x36HP.

In this particular case, the carrier drops on the channel, but for some strange reason, the RSSI/S meter is still recording a full scale signal for half a second or so afterwards.

This indicates to me that there may be another bug in the Uniden's RSSI software that is contributing to the delayed squelch close as well.

Of course, the 'End Code' should in theory at least, override the RSSI squelch. But this is obviously not happening for some reason.

I've had similar probems with the x96xt scanners in the past on conventional channels with 'Quiet tails', where the CTCSS tone drops 100mS or so before the carrier. In a 'real' radio, the squelch closes as soon as the CTCSS tone cuts out, eliminating the squelch burst completely. Its never worked on the Uniden scanners though because the Uniden tone decoders are so slow to react.

Anyway, looks like a firmware fix may be in order for your problem too.. :)

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Happens on different freqs and only on analog trunking. It does not happen with digital trunking or conventional fm.

Simulcast and Analog trunked systems only?

Is the power off/on resetting the problem for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.