BCD536HP speaker output problem in serial mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

Lets get back to the more important issue here, has anyone seen if the audio gets cut dramatically while driving an external speaker. That way the BTL is being used as designed, and we can see if the USB Cable is a new issue to look at.

NYRHKY94

I'm currently running my BCD536HP in the home shack with a Uniden ESP-20 connected to the external speaker jack and it sounds excellent. No drop off in audio at all.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently running my BCD536HP in the home shack with a Uniden ESP-20 connected to the external speaker jack and it sounds excellent. No drop off in audio at all.

Others have also reported that the use of an external passive speaker on the 536 works very well (load and Clear).

This to me is good news.

BigEvil

Others have also reported that the use of an external passive speaker on the 536 works very well (load and Clear).

This to me is good news.

Can you both confirm that the external speaker audio is not affected when connecting a USB cable to a computer, and or using the scanner in serial mode?

Thanks

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Can you both confirm that the external speaker audio is not affected when connecting a USB cable to a computer, and or using the scanner in serial mode?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I cannot as I am wanting to buy a 536 so I have been following this problem closely. For the other reported 536 problems there appears to be either an apparent work-around or it is being fixed.

My 436 must be in "Serial Mode" to scan with an audio output, isn't the 536 like this too?

If yes, then some questions may be, are there difference in external speaker output in the following situations:

1. Does the external speaker output work OK in serial mode w/o the WiFi/Serial driver?

2. Does the external speaker output work OK in serial mode with the WiFi/Serial driver?

3. Then add If the USB cable is connected or not to #1 & #2 and this might give more info to us and Uniden as to what is going on.

I sure hope more people with the 536 will jump in as this is beginning to look like a possible hardware problem but not knowing what all the firmware can do it is a Wild guess on my part.

NYRHKY94

I can confirm that the audio is not affected when using my ESP-20 external speaker in serial mode. There is no drop off in sound and the audio remains loud & clear.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I posted a message just a while ago as a separate thread and an39511 redirected me here.
Just started using Butel ARC536 beta. Need USB serial for virtual control. Had ext. speaker plugged in with patch cable to line-in on Dell. Same problem as everyone else is describing. Hooked up an external speaker, no problem at all. Back to line-in, same deal, dropped at least 70%, unusable.
As an39511 advises, and I guess asUpMan discussed, this is the design of the speaker.
So for us that want the line-in, going to have to do something. But it does not look like it is a problem with the radio. As other threads suggest, maybe there is no line-out on the radio, and we should not use line-in for some reason. Maybe Undien is not telling us something. But for those that need line-in, it is a bit of a hassle, at least for the time being.
Steve AA6IO

JamesO

People that have had issues should see the thread I recently made and post comments and request what I have mentioned. Seems that it would be in Uniden's best interest to have a boiler plate solution so everyone is not left out on their own. The issue is not everyone has a stockpile of capacitors, resistor or the know how to solve the issue themselves.

See this link and add your comments.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ng-external-speaker-connection-996-536-a.html

BigEvil

I posted a message just a while ago as a separate thread and an39511 redirected me here.
Just started using Butel ARC536 beta. Need USB serial for virtual control. Had ext. speaker plugged in with patch cable to line-in on Dell. Same problem as everyone else is describing. Hooked up an external speaker, no problem at all. Back to line-in, same deal, dropped at least 70%, unusable.
As an39511 advises, and I guess asUpMan discussed, this is the design of the speaker.
So for us that want the line-in, going to have to do something. But it does not look like it is a problem with the radio. As other threads suggest, maybe there is no line-out on the radio, and we should not use line-in for some reason. Maybe Undien is not telling us something. But for those that need line-in, it is a bit of a hassle, at least for the time being.
Steve AA6IO

perhaps (and maybe with our feedback/suggestions) they'll use a firmware upgrade and the to be released siren software to enable line level audio out over the usb (it thats even possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.