BCD536HP step and custom monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

I just bought a BCD536HP and am trying to figure out a couple things.

First, if I want to monitor my local precinct (e.g. 90) how do I pull it out of all the preprogrammed data? Is there a way to just land on pct 90 channel?

Is there a way to change step size for Quick Search to 6.25 KHz? Currently when scanning 900 MHz band, the step size appears to be 150 KHz, and 250 KHz in 1200 MHz band. That's way too much. I may be missing something in between. Please advise.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
Use sentinel to make as favorite list. Find a demo of that on YouTube. That is me I mostly just listen to my local PD and fd. Just putting in your zipcode cast a net too wide.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The default step in the 900 MHz band is 12.5 kHz. You can change this in Sentinel on the Band Defaults page of the profile editor.

ASAD

Upman,
I'm looking at the channels in Sentinel. Under "Modulation" there's no P25 or DMR. Mostly it lists NFM. Even in scanner when I set up a favorite, it doesn't give me digital option in modulation. Is this the way frequencies are display and when the scanner receives signal it auto detects mode?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Digital/analog is under Audio Option--the next column to the right in Sentinel. Digital signals should generally be NFM because they are 12.5KHz channel width.

ASAD

Correct me if I'm wrong. In the picture seems to be a trunked system. If I want to add Simulcast to favorite list, will I be adding the whole "Port Authority of New York and New Jersey?" Or can I add Simulcast by itself?

Attachments

• scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
"Simulcast" is a component of the Port Authority trunked system--a broadcast site. It makes no sense whatsoever to try to export a system site by itself. You have to export the whole system, or the scanner won't be able to make sense of what it hears from the broadcast site. You are essentially trying to drive a car engine by itself. That will not work; you need the rest of the car with the engine to go anywhere.

ASAD

I was trying to scan or monitor digital comms only? Is there a way to skip analog other than "avoid?"

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That system (Port Authority of New York and New Jersey) is entirely analog.

ASAD

I thought Simulcast was P25 only.

Is there a way to monitor digital modes only?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Simulcast refers to multiple transmitters broadcasting the same signal on the same frequency from different locations. It has nothing to do with digital or analog.

If you only want to monitor digital stuff, make a favorite list and don't put any analog stuff in it. But it's a better idea to program what you want to listen to, and choose whether or not you monitor based on the traffic, rather than the technology that carries the traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.