BCD536HP: "the file is too large 1meg"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harell

I'm having a problem with when trying to review a new entry into the scanners favorites.
There are no other lists on the scanner. This is the only entry, it is 567kbs. The scanner tells
me, "the file is too large 1meg". I have cleaned the scanner before and during writing to the
scanner. Read from the scanner after removing all and it shows it is clean. Read from the scanner after writing to it
and it shows just what I wrote to it, the same 567kbs file I just wrote to the scanner. Called Uniden support, waste of time...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
How old is the scanner, particularly the SD card? Wonder if it might be getting ready to go back and giving the impression a file might be larger than it really is.

I'd be tempted to reformat it (SD Formatter), do a Clear User Data (to set it up for use) then rewrite the files.

Harell

I have ordered a new sd card.
Hope that is the fix. I'll post the out come later next week.
Otherwise I must have some kind of conflict.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have ordered a new sd card.
Hope that is the fix. I'll post the out come later next week.
Otherwise I must have some kind of conflict.
You might post your file, so that someone can look for any significant issues with it.

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.

Select export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.

Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only the ones to include.

Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately.
Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.

Using Windows Explorer, <Right><Click> on your exported *.hpe file.

You'll get a pop-up menu. One of the options is "Send To"
Select that, which will open another, shorter, menu.
Select the option for "Compressed (zipped) folder.
You'll now have two versions of your file, one with the *.hpe extension, the other with a *.zip file extention. The 'zipped' file can be attached to a post (the *.hpe cannot).

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

Attachments

• 1594490195097.png
    1594490195097.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 4

Harell

You might post your file, so that someone can look for any significant issues with it.

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.

View attachment 88071

Select export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.

Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only the ones to include.

Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately.
Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.

Using Windows Explorer, <Right><Click> on your exported *.hpe file.

You'll get a pop-up menu. One of the options is "Send To"
Select that, which will open another, shorter, menu.
View attachment 88073
Select the option for "Compressed (zipped) folder.
You'll now have two versions of your file, one with the *.hpe extension, the other with a *.zip file extention. The 'zipped' file can be attached to a post (the *.hpe cannot).

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.
Here's a try at posting *.hpe files as a .txt file.

Attachments

• CALFIRE.txt
    570 bytes · Views: 10

Harell

Haven't received the new micro cd card.
Tried the reformatter and the format failed.
Thanks for the responce
H.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here's a try at posting *.hpe files as a .txt file.
I think the export did not go correctly. The exported file, after I changed the file extension back to *.hpe, is only 3 kb. The only system is Calfire.

When you set up the file to export, you get a pop-up that lists all the systems in that Favorites list.

Be sure that all the systems are checked, and give it another shot.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
The problem is not the SD Card. You have too much information in 1 Favorite List. Try breaking it up into 2 or more lists.

I'm having a problem with when trying to review a new entry into the scanners favorites.
There are no other lists on the scanner. This is the only entry, it is 567kbs. The scanner tells
me, "the file is too large 1meg". I have cleaned the scanner before and during writing to the
scanner. Read from the scanner after removing all and it shows it is clean. Read from the scanner after writing to it
and it shows just what I wrote to it, the same 567kbs file I just wrote to the scanner. Called Uniden support, waste of time...

Harell

I think the export did not go correctly. The exported file, after I changed the file extension back to *.hpe, is only 3 kb. The only system is Calfire.

When you set up the file to export, you get a pop-up that lists all the systems in that Favorites list.
View attachment 88305

Be sure that all the systems are checked, and give it another shot.
This may work.

Attachments

• CALFIRE.hpe.txt.TXT
    570 bytes · Views: 12

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I tried this latest one. All I got was Airplan for CALFIRE. This is no where close to exceeding maximum file size.

Where are you, what are you trying to monitor so we can look at the system and see if you are trying to download too large of a system.

The only other possibilities are 1) equipment failure and 2) pilot error.

Ubbe

There could be something corrupt in Sentinel as it seems to be difficult to export from it.

Do you have a "normal" Windows computer using its own harddrive, not a NAS or networked or mapped drive?

I would suggest to leave that version of Sentinel on the computer, so you do not reuse that data, and install a new copy, name it Sentinel2 or something, to another folder and try from there.

/Ubbe

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I tried this latest one. All I got was Airplan for CALFIRE. This is no where close to exceeding maximum file size.

Where are you, what are you trying to monitor so we can look at the system and see if you are trying to download too large of a system.

The only other possibilities are 1) equipment failure and 2) pilot error.
That's the same thing I got on the first file. The size of the list once the HPE file is imported into Sentinel is 3kb. So, either the wrong list was exported, or the wrong HPE file was posted. I agree with your other two possibilities.

Harell

I'm trying to monitor the fires around here. That's the primary use of the scanner.
Looking at the properties on the airplan .hpe file it only has 570kb. Don't have much of a favorite list.
It seems that the cd card is bad. Have another cd card ordered hasn't been delivered.
I've used sentinel's "clear user data". When reading from scanner after running the "clear user data", most of the data is still there.
Also have tried formatting w/ cd card formatter. Each time I tried the formatter the format failed...
Leads me to believe the card is fruit.
--Could be Pilot error.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to monitor the fires around here. That's the primary use of the scanner.
Looking at the properties on the airplan .hpe file it only has 570kb. Don't have much of a favorite list.
It seems that the cd card is bad. Have another cd card ordered hasn't been delivered.
I've used sentinel's "clear user data". When reading from scanner after running the "clear user data", most of the data is still there.
Also have tried formatting w/ cd card formatter. Each time I tried the formatter the format failed...
Leads me to believe the card is fruit.
--Could be Pilot error.
Send a screenshot of the Sentinel Favorites list editor, showing your Favorites lists. Here's a partial peek at mine:

I would also take a second look at the size of that file. Could it be 570b, not 570kb? I say that because what you've exported, twice, is a very small Favorites list. So, either you are attaching a different one, or an the wrong hpe file was attached to a post.

Just for grins, go into the scanner's menu.
On the Menu screen, scroll all the way down to Settings and select that by pressing E/yes.

On the Settings menu, scroll all the way down to See Scanner Information
Select that by pressing the E again to select.
At the next screen, select % Memory Used
Select that by pressing E again.

You'll then see how much space is being used on the scanner itself:

As you can see, I'm using a very small percentage of the available storage space on the card.

Harell

memory used is 3%
total size: 3.68GB
free: 3.54
That hpe file size is: 570 bytes (570 bytes)
I don't think the favorites list is making the trip from
sentinel to scanner. That's why the file doesn't show up
in the favorites list on the scanner.
Should I spend the bucks for ProScan or one of the others.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
memory used is 3%
total size: 3.68GB
free: 3.54
That hpe file size is: 570 bytes (570 bytes)
I don't think the favorites list is making the trip from
sentinel to scanner. That's why the file doesn't show up
in the favorites list on the scanner.
Should I spend the bucks for ProScan or one of the others.
You can try ProScan or ARC536, or both. They each have a 30 day free trial before you have to either purchase either, or discontinue using.

But that does not explain the issue. You can definitely program this using Sentinel. If you like the way ProScan or ARC536 displays info, then try either or both. But this can be solved in Sentinel.

Do you have another Favorites list that is very large? This one is not even close. So, if you get a "too big" error, that's because of something else, not this list.

Try these steps.

In Sentinel, access the Profile Editor. Be sure that the Calfire list is flagged to be both downloaded to the scanner, as well as monitored.

Now, on the scanner, press the Menu key
Then select Manage Favorites
You'll see all the lists that are on the scanner. Scroll through them to see if the Calfire list shows up. Do you also see others?

I see you have those frequencies tagged as "Custom 1". Is that Service type enabled?

Also. are you using location? If so, that could be your problem. Looking at your entries, location details were not entered. In those cases, the scanner treats the blank location as zero degrees for both latitude & longitude, in the Atlantic Ocean off Africa. Needless to say, that would be out of range & these channels would never be scanned. Be sure that location control is off for the list containing Calfire.

Harell

I don't think any favorites are being copied to the scanner.
After writing to scanner the list in manage favorites includes
Fire, Public Safety, New Favorites list. After opening Fire, or for that matter any on that list, the scanner
offers, "Review/Edit system", when this is clicked on the message, "File too large (up to 1m byte)" appears.
CALFIRE isn't offered.
The Location is off, the lat-long have been set. Custom "1" is now turned on.
Seems the cd card isn't working. Or there is more Pilot error.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
For copying Favorites to your scanner, that is set in your Profile in Sentinel. You can select Yes to Download, or No if you don't want it loaded this round. To have the list being scanned when you first start it up, then make sure the Monitor column is set to Yes as well.

If it's not letting you open any list that is already on the scanner, due to size, then I would suspect the card as well. You might pick up a card reader so that you can format, or load, the memory card outside of the scanner itself. You can find readers at Best Buy, Walmart, Office Depot, and many other places. You indicated earlier that you had ordered a new card. Has that come in yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.