BCD536HP - Things I Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Really hated it at first - 'cause i'm old and there are new processes, terminology, and infrastructure.

Then, slowly, over a couple days I found all the ways to map it to my long established other scanner setups - which I have no intention of scrapping after all these years of refinement... :)

Now I really like it!

These are a few of my favorite things:

Holding on Systems, OR Depts, OR Channels with a single button click - Brilliant!

Having the 'big knob' on the 'right' side by inverting the display (and then the speaker is on top, too)!

Earphone sound that is more clear, with levels seemingly more consistent across systems, even without AGCs engaged!

Activating Quick Keys on FOUR tiers all from a single window!

'Cut and pasting' all my long established systems with their custom labels and sortings (mostly Alpha tags rather than Descriptions, and proper Cmd/Tac pairings)!

Now that I can operate in the way I'm comfortable with, I'm pretty excited to start exploring all the new paradigm stuff as it evolves over the next year or two.

Thx, Paul and team... seems like this new one is a winner!

-rb-

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I concur with you, offsite -- all great features. But I must be a little older, because it's taking me a little longer to get used to. I'm digging it so far.

I haven't tried the upside trick though -- I need to do that. The 536 sits on top of my PRO-197, and it drives me up a wall to have it muffled.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
I love the "department" area, one can get really creative with Large trunked systems. I can't say I'd do the inverted display as then all the keys will be upside down and that would mess with me. I have a running list of likes and dislikes, but the likes far outweigh the dislikes. Yes, Good job Uniden!

stingray327

Really hated it at first - 'cause i'm old and there are new processes, terminology, and infrastructure.

Then, slowly, over a couple days I found all the ways to map it to my long established other scanner setups - which I have no intention of scrapping after all these years of refinement... :)

Now I really like it!

Holding on Systems, OR Depts, OR Channels with a single button click - Brilliant!

Having the 'big knob' on the 'right' side by inverting the display (and then the speaker is on top, too)!

Earphone sound that is more clear, with levels seemingly more consistent across systems, even without AGCs engaged!

'Cut and pasting' all my long established systems with their custom labels and sortings (mostly Alpha tags rather than Descriptions, and proper Cmd/Tac pairings)!

Now that I can operate in the way I'm comfortable with, I'm pretty excited to start exploring all the new paradigm stuff as it evolves over the next year or two.

-rb-

So far so good. I have heard alot of positives on the 536.

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Besides flipping it to get the big knob on the right side and being able to cut and paste from FreeScan to Sentinal via the excel sheet, I found a couple more ways to make this model work in my environment.

In a large, complex simulcast system like SD-RNS it is helpful to break it into smaller subsets (no brainer, there, been doing it since the dark ages), but it is quite down-bogging to set up multiple fave lists to do this 'cause the the CCs must be scanned for each fave list. Instead I put all TGs for this system in one fave list and use Systems and Depts to sub classify.

To simplify turning them off and on at any level, I am labeling the Depts like this: "1.1.2 - Fire Cmd & Tac"; "1.1.3 - ALS"; "1.8.2 - Local ATC Towers"; etc; etc.

Then to turn off ALS, for instance, I can see the key sequence right on the screen: 1.1.3

Second thing is Linda hates the really bright light shining in the middle of the night... [my 996XT was always set on dim red] A simple fix for this is a dark colored wash cloth folded in half and draped over the half of the display containing the LCD display and the 'big keys'. The number key pad is ok as is. This isn't ideal for obvious reasons but for the most part it helps follow the "happy wife, happy life" guideline. Flipping the light baffle up occasionaly seems to be more acceptable than the otherwise constant glaring light.

JamesO

I we could just get Uniden to offer an inverted face plate and keypad this would be awesome. They would need to add a firmware tweak for the keypad numbers and buttons under (on top when inverted) with the proper positioning!

AC2OY

Now I really like it!

-rb-

Wow man your really good you did all that in a few days?! Now I really feel stupid LOL so far all I did was create one FL then it took nearly a day to figure out how to enable it but I guess that for me is progress!!

Status
Not open for further replies.