(BCD536HP) Trunked Discovery = Good, Regular Scan = Bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JE5SEJAMES

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the radio scanner world so please forgive my ignorance upfront.

I bought a new BCD536HP a couple of weeks ago and have been fumbling my way through it.

I used Sentinel to update the database and apparently my firmware is up to date.

I created a Favorites List, uploaded it and (with it turned on with all other lists off) scanning through it I will get a hit, hear about 2 seconds of conversation, then it gets cut off.

It does this for every hit.

I thought, "Maybe I just have bad reception so let me try Trunked Discovery..." and it works great.

It finds and holds on all the same channels it skips in regular scan on my Favorites List soooo... what am I missing?

I don't really want to always run in discovery because I can't Hold on anything.

Any suggestions?

Here is the system I am concerned with:

If I need to provide more info, pictures or whatever just let me know!

Thanks in advance.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Check to make sure your DELAY time on the item(s) in question aren't set to a negative number. When you do this, you are telling the scanner to RESUME scanning after X time.

Since you are new:
Go to edit the favorite list in question
Go to the department in question
See the delay column?
Set this for a POSITIVE number.
(personally, I have found 2 sec has the best 'balance'...)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the radio scanner world so please forgive my ignorance upfront.

I bought a new BCD536HP a couple of weeks ago and have been fumbling my way through it.

I used Sentinel to update the database and apparently my firmware is up to date.

I created a Favorites List, uploaded it and (with it turned on with all other lists off) scanning through it I will get a hit, hear about 2 seconds of conversation, then it gets cut off.

It does this for every hit.

I thought, "Maybe I just have bad reception so let me try Trunked Discovery..." and it works great.

It finds and holds on all the same channels it skips in regular scan on my Favorites List soooo... what am I missing?

I don't really want to always run in discovery because I can't Hold on anything.

Any suggestions?

Here is the system I am concerned with:

If I need to provide more info, pictures or whatever just let me know!

Thanks in advance.
Are you, by chance, using ProScan to log and/or control your scanner on your PC? There is an option in ProScan to make the scanner resume scanning after it stops on a channel or talkgroup.

JE5SEJAMES

Check to make sure your DELAY time on the item(s) in question aren't set to a negative number. When you do this, you are telling the scanner to RESUME scanning after X time.

Since you are new:
Go to edit the favorite list in question
Go to the department in question
See the delay column?
Set this for a POSITIVE number.
(personally, I have found 2 sec has the best 'balance'...)

Thanks for the quick response!

I looked into that and I found that the delay was set to 0 so I changed it to 2 but I'm still having the issue?!?

I even changed it to 5 to see if it made a difference and it still happens, just stays on the channel longer.

I've noticed that it's not actually jumping to another channel, it's just cutting out after ~2 seconds of talking.

Again, this leads me to believe the issue is antenna/reception but the same channels/talkgroups in Trunking Discovery come in clear and do not cut out talking until all is silent for at least 2 sec then it starts scanning again.

:unsure:

JE5SEJAMES

Are you, by chance, using ProScan to log and/or control your scanner on your PC? There is an option in ProScan to make the scanner resume scanning after it stops on a channel or talkgroup.

Thanks for the quick response!

No, unfortunately I am not using ProScan.

Is it easier to use than Sentinel? Is it free?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that it's not actually jumping to another channel, it's just cutting out after ~2 seconds of talking.
If the audio cuts out every 2 seconds regardless of mode, you have Close Call priority turned on
Per this ScannerManuals < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Is it easier to use than Sentinel? Is it free?
ProScan runs as a fully 30 day demo/trial. After that, a license cost $50.00 lifetime.
You will still need Sentinel to update the firmware, update the HPDB(Uniden DB), & profile editing.
Sentinel is only a programmer. ProScan is a programmer and offers other features besides a programmer.

JE5SEJAMES

If the audio cuts out every 2 seconds regardless of mode, you have Close Call priority turned on
Per this ScannerManuals < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

ProScan runs as a fully 30 day demo/trial. After that, a license cost $50.00 lifetime.
You will still need Sentinel to update the firmware, update the HPDB(Uniden DB), & profile editing.
Sentinel is only a programmer. ProScan is a programmer and offers other features besides a programmer.

Thanks for the reply, ProScan.

I do have Close Call Priority and WX Priority on and turning them off seemed to help resolve the issue.

Kind of a dumb feature, in my opinion. I was under the impression it would cut into the current transmission only if something was actually being said; not just because x seconds has lapsed.

Thanks for the info about ProScan.

I downloaded the demo version and I can't figure out how to change the scanner model.

Didn't really have time to dig into it but will look into it this weekend.

On to my next issue, scanning with a Favorite List! New post coming. I'll try to keep my plethora of issues/questions in separate threads.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.