BCD536HP vs Old Discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GargoylesRus

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
9
Hello fellow scanner folks,

First off, I bought some nice cable for my antenna RG8x 50' prepared with BNC Male for the scanner and PL259 for the antenna.
I want to know if I am going to be missing some entertainment on frequencies this antenna might be missing.
It is old I used it many years ago to listen in but of course things were a bit different then with frequencies and the way they are handled now.
I am not sure if I need to bite the bullet and spend on one of those I refer to as porcupine antennas, I have no need to tx I'm not into broadcast
just listening.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gar

p.s. Here are a couple of photos of my old dinosaur.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 77

murphcc1

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
127
Reaction score
161
First off I'd say get that puppy higher than what you have there!!!!
Others will chime in about the technical things.
 

GargoylesRus

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
9
Yeah I know, that isn't it's final resting place, it was temporary to get some photos I could post.
Interim it is about 10' higher now, helped some but if others say I'm not missing much then it is going on the tv mast above the peak of the
roof at about 22' or so.
Thanks
Gar

p.s. Thanks to the Moderator that moved me to the correct place in forum. I'm not the best at finding the right place to put these posts.
 

Ubbe

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
11,128
Reaction score
4,798
Location
Stockholm, Sweden
What you have are a dual band GP antenna, but as it is big it will receive on all bands and probably better than a discone on the 800MHz band.
You can see what it is tuned to by measuring the length of that big vertical element and one of the smaller ones.

You get the MHz by the formula 300 divided by the length in meters and then divide by 4 to get a 1/4 wave.

/Ubbe
 

west-pac

Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
939
That is a stock Radio Shack scanner antenna. You don't need to worry about calculating antenna length. 🙄🤦‍♂️
 

west-pac

Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
939
The antenna looks to be in good shape, and the coax is new, so the only thing you have to worry about is programming the actual scanner correctly. Depending on which scanner you are using, and which radio systems you want to receive, I'd say you're off to a good start.
 

GargoylesRus

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
9
The antenna looks to be in good shape, and the coax is new, so the only thing you have to worry about is programming the actual scanner correctly. Depending on which scanner you are using, and which radio systems you want to receive, I'd say you're off to a good start.

I did alot of cleaning on it, took out the ground plane elements and wire brushed them and reinstalled them with some dielectric silicone grease, wirebrushed the attaching bracket etc.

I made a stand off for it from some 3/8" square steel tubing, primed and clear coated that. I'm hoping it lasts for a while since it seems that I am not going to be missing anything over the air.
I couldn't clean the top elements as they seem to be pressed into the collar that they mount to.

Above it is my Channel Master antenna and rotator.

Here is a photo where it is mounted temporarily.
Thanks
Gar
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 29

mule1075

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Jan 20, 2003
Messages
4,040
Reaction score
747
Location
Washington Pennsylvania
Hello fellow scanner folks,

First off, I bought some nice cable for my antenna RG8x 50' prepared with BNC Male for the scanner and PL259 for the antenna.
I want to know if I am going to be missing some entertainment on frequencies this antenna might be missing.
It is old I used it many years ago to listen in but of course things were a bit different then with frequencies and the way they are handled now.
I am not sure if I need to bite the bullet and spend on one of those I refer to as porcupine antennas, I have no need to tx I'm not into broadcast
just listening.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gar

p.s. Here are a couple of photos of my old dinosaur.
Old radio shack Sputnik antenna. It will work just fine. As said get it up higher and you will be good to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top