BCD536HP vs TRX-2 in Wabash County

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosiers70

I have a BCD996T for 11 yrs and have enjoyed it. I posted earlier in the general scanning discussion and was told I should post in the Indiana section for this question. I am looking at getting a BCD536HP or TRX-2. I am leaning towards the Uniden since that is what I'm familiar with. I'm wanting the capability to listen to the P25 phase II when it gets upgraded and also the NXDN, which I know is an upgrade. Any suggestions on what I should get for this area? Any preferences on which one is better as far as ease of operation. Thank you

Dwayne

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I have a BCD996T for 11 yrs and have enjoyed it. I posted earlier in the general scanning discussion and was told I should post in the Indiana section for this question. I am looking at getting a BCD536HP or TRX-2. I am leaning towards the Uniden since that is what I'm familiar with. I'm wanting the capability to listen to the P25 phase II when it gets upgraded and also the NXDN, which I know is an upgrade. Any suggestions on what I should get for this area? Any preferences on which one is better as far as ease of operation. Thank you

Dwayne
I have 2 536 scanners along with the 996xt and 996p2. They work ok as long as you have no simulcast systems.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased the BCD536HP scanner. What is the best software to program the unit?
You will need Uniden's free Sentinel software to update the database and firmware in the scanner. It can also be used to configure the scanner's options and set up custom Favorite Lists. I think that is all that most BCDx36HP and SDS100/200 owners will need.
More information:
BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Sentinel_(Uniden_software)

There is also the paid ProScan software which has some additional features.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Remember this. Whistler did not buy the proprietary rights for radio systems like Uniden. Therefore, a Whistler won't successfully "track" conversations on DMR or NXDN. Furthermore, if you have ProVoice in your area, you can forget that with Whistler. It seems as though Texas has a noticeable amount of ProVoice systems as opposed to the rest of the country. I don't know if Whistler has a GPS function either.

GTO_04

I have 2 536 scanners along with the 996xt and 996p2. They work ok as long as you have no simulcast systems.

So does that mean the 536 does not work well on simulcast systems either? I am thinking about a SDS-200 for a base station model.

GTO_04

eaf1956

Feed Provider
So does that mean the 536 does not work well on simulcast systems either? I am thinking about a SDS-200 for a base station model.

GTO_04
I am in a simulcast area and "at my location" the 536 does fine on the county simulcast system. In other areas of the county people have issues.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have purchased the BCD536HP scanner. What is the best software to program the unit?
I primarily use Sentinel for everyday programming. You'll need to use it anyway for database and most firmware updates.

However, I also use ProScan. You can program with it, and it adds logging and recording ability, along with virtual control, ProScan also supports a wide range of Uniden scanners (other than the HP- & HP-2), from the most recent (SDS100) back to the 780XLT. Some people like Butel's ARC536 better. The Basic version, $39.95, handles programming only. If you want logging and virtual control in the Butel lineup, you need the "Pro" version, $69.95. ProScan, $50.00, includes programming, logging, and virtual control. Both software packages include future updates. ProScan has a 30 day, fully functional, trial period. After that, you'd need to either purchase the program, or else it will cease to function.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Remember this. Whistler did not buy the proprietary rights for radio systems like Uniden. Therefore, a Whistler won't successfully "track" conversations on DMR or NXDN. Furthermore, if you have ProVoice in your area, you can forget that with Whistler. It seems as though Texas has a noticeable amount of ProVoice systems as opposed to the rest of the country. I don't know if Whistler has a GPS function either.
Whistler does not have a GPS option. That is a Uniden only feature.

While you can scan by location, based on your zip code in any of the database scanners from either manufacturer, Uniden & Whistler handle this differently. In the the Uniden scanners, you can specify a location via zip code, GPS, or entering actual latitude/longitude. The scanner then will load channels and systems to scan based on the service types you indicate, your location, and a range. (For a more complete explanation of Range, see this article.) For the Whistler scanners, your location (via zip code) is used to load systems in the county that the zip code maps to. If you are near the border of the county, it would not load systems/frequencies from neighboring counties, only from your 'home' county.

ScanNEIN

Dwayne
I know you said you are up and running. If you haven't already figured it out, you will nee the NXDN to listen to Wabash PD.
I would have suggested the TRX-2 only because it has performed well for me in this area, I am familiar with it and like the ease of programming. It's all in what you are comfortable with

hoosiers70

I know you said you are up and running. If you haven't already figured it out, you will nee the NXDN to listen to Wabash PD.
I would have suggested the TRX-2 only because it has performed well for me in this area, I am familiar with it and like the ease of programming. It's all in what you are comfortable with

I was comfortable with the Uniden and it was easy to set up and get going. Thanks for the input,

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Good choice. Uniden paid for the proprietary rights for NXDN, DMR and ProVoice. I used to be a GRE man, but nothing has interested me with Whistler. I love the memory structure for Whistler, but not being to effectively "track" a conversation on the aforementioned systems..

Status
Not open for further replies.