BCD536HP Wi-Fi Connection Issue

frequency101

I am using Pro Scan and have a BC536HP Scanner. Prior to switching routers (Comcast) I would occasionally lose connection to Pro Scan and rebooting the scanner would resolve the issue. Now I have Comcasts "latest and greatest" router/modem and I cannot stay connected but for about 30-45 minutes. After that time frame I lose data to Pro Scan and have to power cycle the scanner in order to re-establish the connection.

I have set my server PC to not allow the wi-fi connection to go to sleep, I have port forwarding set up, my Dongle has version 7.28. I feel like this is a router/modem issues but have hit a wall with my limited experience on what else to check. It works perfectly internally and externally for the 30-45 minute time frame then just drops. Anyone have suggestions on what I can check or how to repair? I have read other forums where it seems to be a Comcast Router issue and they have had to plug in a different router to the Comcast router to resolve, but that is not the fix I am looking for. Perhaps someone else has experienced this issue?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
FIOS user here. Though I can't speak for Comcast I can definitely tell you it isn't a Proscan issue. I leave my 536HP streaming via wifi to Proscan for days/weeks without the need to ever have to powercycle scanner, app, computer or router. My scanner is in the same room as my router. Is yours in close proximity to your router? And you're running the latest Proscan version? (20.7 as of this posting)

frequency101

FIOS user here. Though I can't speak for Comcast I can definitely tell you it isn't a Proscan issue. I leave my 536HP streaming via wifi to Proscan for days/weeks without the need to ever have to powercycle scanner, app, computer or router. My scanner is in the same room as my router. Is yours in close proximity to your router? And you're running the latest Proscan version? (20.7 as of this posting)
Using the latest version. I have contacted Proscan and agree, Proscan is not the issue. I will try moving the scanner closer to my router as the scanner is on the opposite end of my house. Thanks for your help, it gives me something to rule out.

frequency101

Using the latest version. I have contacted Proscan and agree, Proscan is not the issue. I will try moving the scanner closer to my router as the scanner is on the opposite end of my house. Thanks for your help, it gives me something to rule out.

Whiskey3JMC, I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion regarding moving the scanner closer to the router. Since doing so I have maintained connection for two straight days. Before I was having to power cycle scanner every 30-45 minutes to maintain connection. Moving it closer seems to have done the trick. Thank you again, I am thrilled to have my scanner broadcasting consistently!​

Ubbe

Install a WiFi analyzer on your phone and check that the channel you use are not interfered. Other WiFi signals need to be at least 3 channels away to not interfere, or use the same channel as the strongest one as there are some 50 slots each having 1MB capacity to share among several routers if they are on the exact same channel.

The app I use to check what channels are in use are called WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan but probably any analyzer will do that can show active signal strengths of 2.4GHz WiFi signals.

/Ubbe

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Install a WiFi analyzer on your phone and check that the channel you use are not interfered. Other WiFi signals need to be at least 3 channels away to not interfere, or use the same channel as the strongest one as there are some 50 slots each having 1MB capacity to share among several routers if they are on the exact same channel.

The app I use to check what channels are in use are called WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan but probably any analyzer will do that can show active signal strengths of 2.4GHz WiFi signals.

/Ubbe

I can also endorse WiFi Analizer - very good app.
Been using it since it came out.

Ubbe

How can you change the channel on the scanner AP?
Uniden use some sort of an automatic channel selection mode in AP mode. I have one WiFi router on ch1 and my BCD536 then selects to use ch2, which makes it very difficult to get any sort of range from it. But I use Infractructure mode at home and in a car or similar place it probably doesn't matter what channel you use in AP mode and if you have a mobile WiFi net in your car then you of course use Intrastructure mode.

/Ubbe