BCD536HP WiFi Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brennank

Maybe I am failing to see something or missing a feature, but what is the point of the WiFi dongle if the Siren App is not out?
Is the MicroSD card accessible as network storage? About all I found the dongle to do is respond to ICMP and ARP messages.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Maybe I am failing to see something or missing a feature, but what is the point of the WiFi dongle if the Siren App is not out?

They rushed the hardware to you secure in the knowledge that software can be developed and provided later at minimal or no additional cost.

Adjust your expectations accordingly and enjoy the hardware product. When the software is available you will be even happier still.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I see Uniden still hasn't upgraded from their single-channel ISDN line :) 35 minutes for a 40 MB file? Ridiculousness.

I'll probably never use the WiFi even after there is an app to use with it, if I have to wait that long to download a file. Life is way too short.

M

banditt2344

I see Uniden still hasn't upgraded from their single-channel ISDN line :) 35 minutes for a 40 MB file? Ridiculousness.

I'll probably never use the WiFi even after there is an app to use with it, if I have to wait that long to download a file. Life is way too short.

M

I think mine is downloading after getting past all these steps. When you did it did you have any kind of progress indicator? I finally get to the window to update without any error messages and then it seems like it just sits there. However it still shows the program to be running still.

mrdinks

I fought this for hours, could not get past the permission error.
Finally just unplugged the dongle, restarted the computer, plugged the dongle back in and started the updater. Finally worked

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I fought this for hours, could not get past the permission error.
Finally just unplugged the dongle, restarted the computer, plugged the dongle back in and started the updater. Finally worked

Same here; now the dongle is connected just waiting for sofware .

QDP2012

Clarification on use of the word "problem"

I know this is OT for the specific topic of this thread, but I should clarify something to prevent misunderstandings or wrong-suggestions related to my earlier post:

So the problems are starting to show up now on these new scanners?

The word "problem" as (formerly) used in the referenced Wiki-page, was used broadly because the problem might be with new-user experience-level, or with technicalities-in-jargon, or with procedural details omitted from published documents, or actual device-fault...any "problem" for which a question was being asked (and answered) "frequently". The word "problem" was not, in itself, a review and/or report on any of the x36 scanner models. (I selected the word based on personal grammatical preference. A Wiki-admin restructured the page and removed the entire subsection's title later that day.)

The FAQ on the Wiki-page was an early attempt to capture bits of knowledge from this thread (and other x36-related threads) and collect them in a central location for convenient reference, like most any FAQ.

A forums-moderator, Marshall, KE4ZNR, created the following sticky thread to be a more convenient collection-point here in the Uniden forum:

Uniden BCD436/536HP FAQ. and INFO READ THIS 1st!!

Hopefully, it will help many people as they learn about their new x36 scanners.

If you check the other x36-related threads, I think you'll find the majority of opinions favorable even if some people found that a few certain characteristics did not match their personal preferences.

Sorry for any grammatical confusion that resulted from the word-choice,

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
So... if I do the WiFi update correctly, and get that .bin file onboard my computer, I will be able to see my local wireless net and connect to it? Which is what has occurred so I guess my next step is to wait for the Siren App to be released.

Now, when I run this app in my truck, I will need to supply an internet connection such as a hotspot from my IPhone. The ability to use the phone as a hotspot is fine but costs... Is there a way of taking the radio display and push it to my Ipad mini without needing to find the internet?

phask

Premium Subscriber
So... if I do the WiFi update correctly, and get that .bin file onboard my computer, I will be able to see my local wireless net and connect to it? Which is what has occurred so I guess my next step is to wait for the Siren App to be released.

Now, when I run this app in my truck, I will need to supply an internet connection such as a hotspot from my IPhone. The ability to use the phone as a hotspot is fine but costs... Is there a way of taking the radio display and push it to my Ipad mini without needing to find the internet?

NO - it will "talk" directly. You could use a Ipod, or non phone data ipad even

phask

Premium Subscriber
No to what part? How do I use an Ipad without WiFi?
Infrastructure mode - the dongel works similar to a hot spot.

You do know a wifi device ipod, pc, tablet , whatever can talk directly to another without a wifi hotspot?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Never thought about it.... I thought the local communication between devices was all Bluetooth I guess.
So what do I need to do in order to have the radio and Ipad mini communicate directly?

NFDRescue1

BCD536hp Wifi Firmware Update Issue

Hi everyone, After reading through all the posts regarding issues installing the wifi firmware upgrade, I'm still having a problem getting it to work. I'm new here, so please be kind. See below:

1) I downloaded and installed the software as described in this thread and the one on the Uniden Wiki.
2) I made sure all permissions for the updater were set as recommended in these threads
3) I launched the firmware updater and selected the comport
4) Here's where the issue starts: In the field that says FIRMWARE, I go to look for the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin file and can't locate it anywhere!! I searched my computer hi and low and no dice!!!
5) I went on YouTube and watched the install demo several times and still no luck.

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated. Is there anything I missed during the install process? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, my computer is a x64 Windows 7 machine. Nothing out of the ordinary RE setup etc. Thanks again for any help you can provide!!

JamesO

I fumbled though the process as well. Only did it the one time, so do not recall the entire process.

But if I recall what I did was update the WiFi adapter using the Sentinel software.

Once you have the WiFi update downloaded and Unzipped, I think I went to the Sentinel software, under the Update tab, choose Update Firmware, then choose the WiFi firmware file to update.

Not, I did not have the scanner connected for this, the WiFi adapter just connected directly to my computer.

I may have mixed this up, as I was a bit fog bound with the WiFi update as I was a bit tired and because the update process was not working , I then decided to hack away and look at things from different angles and I was finally successful.

I was about ready to throw in the towel as the WiFi App was not ready anyway, but figured I would try to get it sorted.

I was successful in the end with what ever I ended up doing.

I am sure if I am wrong, others will chime in with ideas and suggestions.

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, After reading through all the posts regarding issues installing the wifi firmware upgrade, I'm still having a problem getting it to work. I'm new here, so please be kind. See below:

1) I downloaded and installed the software as described in this thread and the one on the Uniden Wiki.
2) I made sure all permissions for the updater were set as recommended in these threads
3) I launched the firmware updater and selected the comport
4) Here's where the issue starts: In the field that says FIRMWARE, I go to look for the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin file and can't locate it anywhere!! I searched my computer hi and low and no dice!!!
5) I went on YouTube and watched the install demo several times and still no luck.

The BIN file is part of the Wi-Fi-Updater.ZIP. Look in the folder where you unzipped the Wi-Fi-Updater.zip file.

There are 3 files in the Wi-Fi-Updater.zip:
BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip
FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin
STM_VCP.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.