bcd536hp Wifi Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to setup wifi on a 536 for an individual and have hit a wall, with no results. At first when I connected the dongle and attempted to enter the network password it was showing as incorrect. I am confident it was correct.

I have attempted to update the dongle but I am not confident the dongle updated. When I connect the dongle to the 536, I go to Wi-Fi setup, Set Connection, Infrastructure Mode... and receive "AP wasn't detected. Press any key".

I haven't found a lot of direction about the setup. I did read where if you have the wifi dongle connected to the scanner during a firmware update the dongle will update at the same time. My firmware on the scanner is updated and I am running 1.11.29, however the dongle was not connected when I updated the scanner.

I've gone backward here. It didn't work at first, but at least the scanner could see the wifi connection. Now it's not seeing anything.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I'm going to take another look at it... when I'm a little less frustrated. That's the bulk of the info I've found, along with some additional here in the forums. Thanks.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Setting up the wifi can be an experience.

Confirm your Dongle's firmware is 7.28. If it is not, that's your problem. To do that, press Menu>Wi-Fi Setup>Show Wi-Fi Information. The fourth line says "Version X.XX" If it "ain't" 7.28, that's the issue. Make a mental note of what it is - you'll need that to update the Dongle firmware.

Updating Dongle firmware is different from the scanner firmware. I don't think the Dongle firmware is updated with Sentinel. At any rate, if you follow the link posted above, it will get the job done.

Also K4DPS has posted an excellent video on updating firmware for the Dongle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tERa0hRe59I Yeah it is a pain and fortunately this only needs to be done once.

Please post if you have the Dongle updated to 7.28. Once I'm confident you have the the correct Dongle firmware, I can offer some more ideas to get you going.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber

Confirm your Dongle's firmware is 7.28. If it is not, that's your problem. To do that, press Menu>Wi-Fi Setup>Show Wi-Fi Information. The fourth line says "Version X.XX" If it "ain't" 7.28, that's the issue. Make a mental note of what it is - you'll need that to update the Dongle firmware...

OK, thanks I think this is part of my problem. Currently, when I attempt that- the result I get reads: "Wi-Fi is not connected.". There is no other information.

The green light on the dongle is on. I do have menu options (as I think I should) under "Set Connection" of "Show Wi-fi...", "Set Connection" and "Reset to Factory". I'm going in circles and nothing is connecting.

Initially, when I hooked the dongle to the scanner, the scanner saw the wireless network, but would not accept the password. Now it'll only read "AP wasn't detected" under "set connection".

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think you took the wrong branch of the tree. You went:
Menu>Wi-Fi Setup>Set Connection

You probably wanted to go:
Menu>Wi-Fi Setup>Show Wi-Fi Information

The "Show Wi-Fi Information" is where you can see which version the Dongle has. It should be 7.28.

Unless you have the 7.28 Dongle firmware, you will be going in circles. (Yeah it will do some things, but it won't do them right unless you have the latest Dongle firmware (7.28).

Once you got the right Dongle firmware, then you can go through the setup process and things should "take" better.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Taking that route gives me: "Wi-Fi is not connected". However, initially (out of the box) when I went that route, I believe it gave me a choice of networks- which is where I was getting an incorrect password message. I can't remember the exact message... and can't duplicate it now since I can't go anywhere.

I tried to update the firmware on the dongle- which got me to where I am, but I obviously messed it up in the process.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I uninstalled and reinstalled the Wi-Fi Firmware Updater program and I now have access to wireless networks. Still unable to login to my network. Is the password for the router, the "Network Key"? It works for my other devices, but not in this case.

I have also pressed the WPS button and attempted the WPS PIN- which I have never used, and this also does not work.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The password for your router is typically found on the box for the router or on some paperwork with it. You'd use the same settings that you did to connect your smartphone to the router with respect to password and security settings.

Glad you are progressing at least some.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I was pretty sure that was correct. It's an Arris wireless gateway from Comcast. I don't know if this is a Comcast issue or a Uniden issue, however everything else connects without problem, so I am assuming it must be Uniden. I'll try some more research.

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My home has AT&T service, with their router. I ended up getting a Netgear router plugged into the AT&T router's internet connection port and then do the Dongle/Siren App "stuff" on that one. I get a lot better footprint and I'm sure by clogging up the AT&T router with the scanner it's more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.