BCD536HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash_iam

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i payed a lot for my hp1 and i finally got it to pick up Wyoming county ny
much better. I do have a ? i would like to pick up genesee county ny fire and police, they have changed and i guess the hp1 wont do that. What scanner would pick up the new system? The BCD536HP? or something cheaper? very expensive but really would like to pick up genesee county. i tried everything with the hp1 and than finally got it threw head it cant do it. ty all

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Yes you are going to need any one of the following scanners BCD536HP,BCD436HP or a GRE 800.

Those are the only scanners on the market right now that will receive the system you want to hear.

Genesee, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans Counties Public Safety Trunking System, Regional, New York - Scanner Frequencies

Actually since none of the talkgroups are TDMA you can use a phase 1 scanner on that system. The system is Phase 2 capable but it doesn't use Phase 2. Although, once they are switched to TDMA you'll need a newer scanner. Now if the hp-1 being the way it is wont program it, that's a different matter.

troymail

Silent Key
Actually since none of the talkgroups are TDMA you can use a phase 1 scanner on that system. The system is Phase 2 capable but it doesn't use Phase 2. Although, once they are switched to TDMA you'll need a newer scanner. Now if the hp-1 being the way it is wont program it, that's a different matter.

Am I reading this correctly? The HP-1 won't load a system that is listed on RR as a Phase 2 system? If so, that's just wrong. There are many "Phase 2 capable" systems out there that are only using Phase 1 right now. If the radio won't load these systems, Uniden should change that. Hopefully, you can override this issue and program it manually (but you shouldn't have to).

Edit: Having said that, I don't know how much you paid for it but if you just got your HP-1, you may want to consider returning it and look at a BCD436HP (handheld) which does pretty much the same thing the 536 does for at least $100 less. This positions you for the future when those "capable" systems actually start using Phase 2.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Am I reading this correctly? The HP-1 won't load a system that is listed on RR as a Phase 2 system? If so, that's just wrong. There are many "Phase 2 capable" systems out there that are only using Phase 1 right now. If the radio won't load these systems, Uniden should change that. Hopefully, you can override this issue and program it manually (but you shouldn't have to).

Uniden could indeed change the database algorithm (what's used to download the RRDB and filter out unwanted stuff before making it available as the HPDB), though for true Phase 2 systems, that would result in some talkgroups not being received, which might confuse users further.

However, IMO, this is a problem stemming from RR DB admin policy and people not knowing what they're submitting. People will use an analyzer program like Unitrunker or PRO96COM to look at a system and see that it has Phase 2 identifiers (identifiers = data which tells the subscriber radios what frequency to tune to; aka the base/step/offset values), and will submit to RR that this is a "Phase 2" system. The problem is, every new Motorola system (and probably more than a few other-branded systems) contains P2 identifiers even if it isn't using them. I forget the exact layout right now, but for the sake of argument, I'll say iden 00 is P1 700, iden 01 is P1 800, iden 02 is P2 700, and iden 03 is P2 800 (and in a bunch of systems, iden 04 is P1 900). I know of at least one system in the RRDB which has the above, but all sites are using iden 00 channels (700 MHz Phase 1). This is incorrectly put into the RRDB as a Phase 2 system.

If we're going to put systems into the RRDB based on their capabilities, then every TG in a system should be listed as encrypted, since they're capable of carrying that traffic.

Systems which have P2 idens but don't use them shouldn't be listed as P2 systems.

lep

Jay is, as often the case, on the right track. My local P-25 Phase 1 system was listed in RRDB as Phase 2 because of a submission by a user, therefore I could not download it into the HP-1 although it still worked fine on my 996XT. I pointed this out to Paul who corrected the RRDB to DEL the Phase 2 reference as it was only noting Future Plans. This all happened several years ago when the HP-1 was new on the market. But the problem of the lack of 'fact checking' still plagues RRDB and the Uniden practice of just accepting the Phase 2 designation at face value makes it worse.

troymail

Silent Key
Systems which have P2 idens but don't use them shouldn't be listed as P2 systems.

I fully concur - I said the same thing in the past but it was ignored.

St Mary's County Maryland is an example. It's all Phase 1 for more than a year since they turn the system on, but it's listed as a Phase 2 system. I'll have to see if I can find my "complaint" about this from many month ago.

crash_iam

Banned
Ty all for your help. knowing that i cant get the hp1 to receive genesee county, i will have to get another scanner. hp1 was too expensive for what it cant do. But live and learn.

lep

Ty all for your help. knowing that i cant get the hp1 to receive genesee county, i will have to get another scanner. hp1 was too expensive for what it cant do. But live and learn.

Of course it will receive the system you want. all you have to do is to enter the data manually and it will receive it fine, you just can't auto download the data. No need to purchase another scanner. Or, just make your own RRDB submission.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Of course it will receive the system you want. all you have to do is to enter the data manually and it will receive it fine, you just can't auto download the data. No need to purchase another scanner. Or, just make your own RRDB submission.
Genesee's system is in the database for the HP-1, but it won't scan because it's tagged as X2-TDMA.

However, what you can do is append that system to a favorites list, then edit that list.

You can't change the system type on an existing system, but you can create a new system in the Favorites list editor, as a P25 system, then copy and past the talkgroups and system frequencies from the X2-TDMA system into it.

That is what I did on a copy of my local systems, including this one: Plano, Allen, Wylie, Murphy (PAWM) P25 Trunking System, Plano/Allen, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
It's listed as a "Phase II" system, but there are no Phase II radios in use and no TDMA (Phase II) talkgroups. So far, none are planned in the near future.

crash_iam

Banned
so your saying i can pick up genesee county police say? im trying to understand how too. i know menu,advanced menu,and than quick frequency entry? and that's were i would put it? scanner has genesee in scan but wont pick up nothing. ty so much lep and sorry if i don't understand

Jay911

Feed Provider
so your saying i can pick up genesee county police say? im trying to understand how too. i know menu,advanced menu,and than quick frequency entry? and that's were i would put it? scanner has genesee in scan but wont pick up nothing. ty so much lep and sorry if i don't understand

The easiest thing to do would be for somebody to manually create a Genesee County system for you in Sentinel, export it and post it here, and let you download it and import into your Sentinel.

If I have a few minutes this morning I'll give it a shot. Stand by.

crash_iam

Banned
All i care to hear is genesee and Wyoming county. but cant fig how to do genesee.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Try this file. Once you download it, you'll have to unzip it, then load Sentinel. Go File>Import from HPE file, and choose the file that came out of the zipfile. You can put it in its own favorites list or another one you've created beforehand - it's your choice.

Don't forget to go Edit>Profile (or Ctrl+1) and turn "Monitor" and "Download" on for the favorites list you put it into.

FYI to others (and to you) on how I did this easily: Go into x36 Sentinel (which you can download for free even if you don't have an x36), find the system in question, right-click on it and append to favorites. Export the favorite file created. Import into HP1 Sentinel. It's that easy.

(so long as it works for crash_jam... please let us know if you have any issues!)

Attachments

• Genesee.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 59

crash_iam

Banned
ty jay911
Trying it out now. have scanner just scanning favorites now. that shows genesee county
haven't heard anything yet. does audio options anything there have to be changed? mines p25 on p25 filter b, p25 mode auto. or does that stuff have nothing to do with it? i thank you so much for all you are doing.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I don't know which filter will be better for you. You'll have to experiment with that.

Also make sure that if you have location control set to on, that stuff is in range. Tap the right edge of the system when it comes up on the screen, then tap advanced, then site information. Check to see that at least one site is not orange. Orange sites are out of range.

If you want, you can turn off location control for that favorites group and it might make things better, at least for the moment.

crash_iam

Banned
ty jay911
I will be experimenting and let you know how i make out. i keep trying settings but still quiet.
ty so much jay911

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree that the database ought to be "downloadable".

How would the following work as a "work-around"? (Since I don't have the HP1, all I'm doing is guessing).

First, using Sentinel for the x36, create the appropriate Favorites List. Then save that Favorites List as an HPE file.

Next using Sentinel for the HP1, open up that created HPE file and send it to the HP1?

I know the downside is having to install the Sentinel for the x36, even though you don't have that model scanner. If the HPE files are compatible between the HP1 and x36, then some of the odd settings (locations, etc.) may not be missed.

crash_iam

Banned
Sorry took a bit to get back to you Jay911. Had the grand baby over for the weekend.
Lots of sponge bob lol I have tried several settings with the genesee file with a no go.
But i want to ty very much for helping me out. I better save for another scanner. As Wyoming probably
will change over too. Has to be a base unit tho for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.